Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A good read, speaking of electricity

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
It is a well researched read, not a sensationalized opinion.

He starts talking about Manhattan without people. Once power is gone, the 573 pumps that run to keep the subways dry stop, subways erode and collapse, within days or weeks. Streets and buildings collapse as the water washes away foundations.

One of the first tasks on 911 was bringing in pump trains. Generators to power up the pumps that were without power.

Glass, stone, ceramics are the last pieces to disappear, when civilization ends.
If you want to destroy a wood framed home, cut an 18" square hole in the roof, watch nature take over.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
GGrossJakeCK

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    It's my understanding that some buildings are tall enough that they require active systems to control the sway, etc. The building will literally fall over without power. We are so backing ourselves into a corner.
    ethicalpaul
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    ratio said:

It's my understanding that some buildings are tall enough that they require active systems to control the sway, etc. The building will literally fall over without power. We are so backing ourselves into a corner.

As long as I'm in the corner of the building that is closest to the ground when the building falls over. That way the rest of the building will fall on me and put me out of my misery.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    ratio said:
    The WTC Was designs to let a corner turn into the wind too release pressure. 
    I’ve personally seen curtain rods swing ever so slowly 6 - 8” off center on the upper floors and creeking noise similar to a wooden ship. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    I think they have dampening systems for the comfort of the occupants but i don't think that they will collapse without power.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    There is an excellent -- and slightly disturbing -- short story by Stepen Vincent Benet, called "By the Waters of Babylon", written in the 1920s -- which deals with Manhattan (and the rest of the country) after some undefined disaster. Fascinating. Also almost impossible to find.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    PC7060
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I thought I found it, but that is a common title :joy:

Edit: ahh here it is I think: https://www.btboces.org/Downloads/13_By the Waters of Babylon by Stephen Vincent Benet.pdf
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    PC7060
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Got it. The wonders of the internet...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

There is an excellent -- and slightly disturbing -- short story by Stepen Vincent Benet, called "By the Waters of Babylon", written in the 1920s -- which deals with Manhattan (and the rest of the country) after some undefined disaster. Fascinating. Also almost impossible to find.

I think I remember reading it. We'll suffer badly without modern dental treatment.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes