Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

suction for deformed pipe?

Options
jumper
jumper Member Posts: 2,248
Pipe coming out of concrete must be out of round because solder repair leaks. Somebody suggested that I apply suction to pipe and try brazing. Is it worth a try? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    what? is it out of round copper? there are various punches you can drive in the end to make it round again. maybe heat it with a torch to anneal it and let it cool first.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Or you could swedge it in to a socket. or you could use a thicker solder and control the heat so it flows in to a larger gap.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Copper is pretty tough stuff. I have seen plenty of good joints put on stuff that most would say couldn't be saved. It is easier to fill a bad joint with brazing rod. Takes more heat though.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If it's been soldered with plumbing solder, you might have a hard time getting brazing rod to stick.

(eddit for spllin)

ethicalpaul
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi, You can do a lot with silver solder.
    Pretty sure the cat doesn't leak!

:D
    mattmia2pecmsgPC7060
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,949
    edited May 2021
    Options
    jumper said:

Pipe coming out of concrete must be out of round because solder repair leaks. Somebody suggested that I apply suction to pipe and try brazing. Is it worth a try? Any other suggestions?

Suction!? No.
    But what you can do if the pipe is a bit ovaled and not round is make it round again.

Take a adjustable wrench and close the jaws around a pipe of the same size that is not damaged. Then pull the adjustable wrench off of the pipe without moving the jaws.
    Now place the adjustable wrench jaws on the pipe that is oval and move the wrench at 360 deg. around the deformed pipe making it round again and ready for a better fit solder joint.
    If this doesn't work you might be working with a oddball pipe diameter.
    JGPlumbing
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I use the clamp block on a flaring or swaging tool.
    Clamp on tight then loosen and rotate 90 degrees and tighten again. Repeat as needed.
    Sand down any ridges.

Or just swage a coupling on the end of your stub.
    mattmia2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It's probably K soft copper that is a little flattened as it rolls out of the ground. Swagging would be easiest. 
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,248
    Options
    Zman said:

It's probably K soft copper that is a little flattened as it rolls out of the ground. Swagging would be easiest. 

If only. I don't understand why noisey is used.