Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you call it?

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
edited January 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Many products/tools in our industry go by different names. For example: liquid thread sealant (pipe dope), band iron (steel strapping/metal strapping), etc.

Our friends at SupplyHouse.com are improving their site search so that they can connect you with what you need even faster. Let's help them out by giving them some examples of products/tools we work with that have multiple names. Thanks!
President
HeatingHelp.com
mattmia2LS123

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I always called it hanger iron. A lot of it is regional as well.

I had a lot of trouble finding thermal compound of the type that you would use in a well to increase conduction between a bulb/thermistor/thermocouple and a well in a tank or pipe, I couldn't figure out exactly what it was called or what category it should be in. I kept finding the type of thermal paste for conducting heat away from the rest of the assembly while sweating or brazing a fitting.
    LS123
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    I can really appreciate their wish to make their search engine useful. I have never had a problem finding anything on supplyhouse.com.
    LS123
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    @Erin Holohan Haskell @Youngplumber @SlamDunk , @mattmia2
    perhaps we should start a list .... we can do a google sheet? that would allow multiple people to put items in a spreadsheet?, I can modify and put them in alphabetical order or some other order based on input from much more experience people than I, or I can do multiple ways of ordering a master list... little secret... I know just a little bit about computer stuff .... feedback is welcome... lets start a list!!!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @Erin Holohan Haskell @Youngplumber @SlamDunk , @mattmia2 ....
    actually above is just a suggestion... lets wait for further directions from Heatinghelp team, Erin and others... perhaps I am just too excited to jump in and help... but it might work... thank you!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Threaded rod=All thread
    F & M Plates=ceiling plates
    A Bands=Band hangers
    Rod couplings=coupling nuts
    Reducing coupling=Bell reducer

All that comes to mind at the moment
    LS123
  • LS123
    thanks @EBEBRATT-Ed .... I will follow up with Erin tomorrow.... and figure out how to continue to keep a running list... including other pros @Jamie Hall , @Steamhead @SteamingatMohawk , @Charlie from wmass @JUGHNE , @EdTheHeaterMan ... these individuals been helpful to me and very knowledgeable about heating and other stuff... thank you!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    pipe stretcher
    known to beat dead horses
    LS123ratiomattmia2Ironman
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Natick hanger vs strap hanger. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    LS123
  • Charlie from wmass
    Plumber's thesaurus. I always thought one was needed. 

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    LS123CLamb
  • LS123
    @neilc ... sorry to ask ... I am new ,... what is a pipe stretcher? tool or some kind of grease or something?
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    mattmia2
  • Charlie from wmass
    What you send a new apprentice to look for when they cut the pipe too short. Pipe stretcher.

cell # 413-841-6726
    LS123mattmia2BillyOSolid_Fuel_Man
  • LS123
    thank you @Charlie from wmass !
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @ratio totally get that .... we have to keep the list clean and no bad words .... just in case my kids or grand kids ... if they ever care to learn about steam.... might look up heating help lists.... :smiley:
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @mattmia2 perhaps I read it too fast... but it looks like this book has everything HD, Lowes, Ace, Tractor Supply and everything... perhaps something little bit more focused heating, cooling, plumbing and other categories in heating help.... but your link definitely helpful... B)
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks to all for your help.

@LS123, let's keep the list on here for now so that we can continue discussing as we go. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    LS123
  • LS123
    @Erin Holohan Haskell agreed... initially I jumped the gun... hat is why my second post was seeking for your input as best way to keep the info within heatinghelp
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, @LS123!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    LS123
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    You can let them know from me that their search for "radiator vent" doesn't show any Gorton or Maid O Mist products (and possibly others I'm not familiar with)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    DrewM
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Yes, not always an easy find at the Supply House site if you look only once a year or so.
    Maybe a search for "Steam vents" to get you close.
    And a search for "Hot water air vents" to go elsewhere.

The simple teardrop shaped clevis without the cross bolt are called "Auto Grips" out here.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Pipe dope and strap iron
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    DrewM
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited January 2021
    ratio said:

Hmmm. I'm not sure some of the terms I use should be published…

The electricians use a material that is a putty of sorts that is pressed into an opening where a wire may come out of a wall or meter socket. Early on, I have only heard of it referred to as Monkey $#*T.

I have purchased some of it at one time and said "I'll have some of that too" when another customer asked for it at the counter. It seems that plumbing supply house counter men did not know what I was talking about. This happened at an electric supply house

I have seen it on Supplyhouse.com https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-81881-5-lb-Duct-Seal-Compound called Duct Seal Compound

Since then if have also hears other brands call it Thumb Gum But I believe you can clean it up by using Monkey Dung Once you start to type M O N K E Y, the suggestion for Dung may populate the search bar. or Monkey Stuff... You get the picture.

Respectfully yours,
    Mr.Ed

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    LS123
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Kendorf, Unistrut, Chanel strut.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    LS123yardmaster
  • SlamDunk
    Duct seal compound! Ive been looking for that stuff. Ive always called it "potting" or "dum dum" but could never find it.
    LS123
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    SlamDunk said:

Duct seal compound! Ive been looking for that stuff. Ive always called it "potting" or "dum dum" but could never find it.

Monkey Stuff. ‘‘It’s a technical term. You got to know the lingo!

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Ohhh, one that I can say! It's called butter. Duct butter, to be precise.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Duct seal is the "play dough" used around wire coming down into a meter socket. Potting compound is used in explosion proof electrical seal fittings you see around gas pumps.

@JUGHNE
    Auto Grips, That's what we call them here as well.

I think electrical stuff has more slang names. I am in Western MA. I went to an electrical supply house I Boston and had trouble getting an order filled. It was like I was speaking a different language
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I always knew it as duct seal...
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277

What you send a new apprentice to look for when they cut the pipe too short. Pipe stretcher.

usually kept next to the henway
    Charlie from wmass
  • SlamDunk
    We have "intrinsically" safe, explosion proof rooms here were they used potting compound to fill in conduit ends.

I always thought the potting compound was dum dum which I have seen used as a pre-curser to double back tape. Dum dum could be used as a filler and vibration dampener as well. I have seen used on my older cars. Same stuff?
  • SlamDunk
    I had to look...I think maybe what I need is actually 3M strip caulk and not duct seal.
  • SlamDunk
    I'm pretty sure that isn't what they are looking for. What they want is like the difference between Mcmaster.com and Grainger. Type "insulator" in both search boxes and see who has the stronger results. You can type in just about any generic term and one site will get you closer than the other.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    This is for the search bar on the SupplyHouse.com website that you'd use when looking for a specific product. They want to make sure that when you type in a product name, it will connect you with what you're looking for. Since some products are called different things, they're doing some research to make sure they include all search terms. Thanks for your help!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    LS123
  • LS123
    yes .... some of you with so much experience in heating, cooling etc ... know the old fashion lingo... I been a oil ( well we cant get gas nor would I want 1000 or 2000 gallon gas tank anywhere near me) steam heat... thanks to this forum... I would have spent lots of $$$$ had I listen to the sale person, who wanted to convert my steam to hot water system... I agree with most of you... when I try to find something based on our heatinghelp forum..... I dont always get what was mentioned here because lingo is different for websites such as supplyhouse... @Erin Holohan Haskell ... I hope you may consider getting other online sites such as amazon, zoro, grainger, home depot, lowes, ace, walmart... etc... these are some places I shop for my beautiful , wonderful, steam heat parts.... many thanks for everyone who has contributed with list of things.... old phrases, and lingo should be kept as a ongoing for people like me .. find other things to do... other than computers and politics ( which I have major in both).... but love simple steam... in love with my heating system, steam.... thanks to this forum...
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    yes ... I o have a life other than heating help... fortunately for being hyper focus is naturally given.... any place I can learn anything new B)
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi @Erin Holohan Haskell , A thought. If pictures were posted of various things that seem hard or confusing to name, we all could tell you and Supply House what we call them. That might give more focus to the discussion. ;)

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    LS123....I do have a duct stretcher though..... ;)
    LS123
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    My suppliers in NJ always laugh when my Local 1 NY guys ask them for Kindorf.  

“Haha. You mean strut, right?”

”I guess so. Yeah. The big one. Not the small one.” 

Same conversation for years.  
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Charlie from wmass
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    My guys recently started calling the Ridgid 12-R “the lollipop”.  Drives me nuts but I think that’s a thing now in the trade.  
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Charlie from wmass