Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Replacement / Qualified Northern NJ Contractors

WJK59
WJK59 Member Posts: 21
So, I figured that this is the summer to replace my aging natural gas Dunkirk CSB-6D steam boiler, rather than chance emergency boiler replacement in the midst of winter. I read Dan Holahan's We Got Steam Heat! book years ago, when we bought our now decomposing romantic ruin of a farmhouse - which I still recommend to people as a good read.
So I've had four highly-reviewed plumbers with steam heating experience come out to quote the work (along with a LOT of other plumbing issues). My problem? While a couple of them asked how the existing system was working, comfort-wise, not one of them did the things that Dan suggests in seeking a contractor - checked the radiators, chimney, etc... They all just checked the existing model as a basis for sizing a replacement - and there have been one or two radiators removed over the years. One did note in their quote that new chimney lining, if required upon inspection, wasn't included (fair enough, I suppose). I should note that I have a small hot water loop presently taken off of the boiler to feed some baseboards in the back of the house - not a great set-up, I know. The two quotes I've received so far propose replacement the Dunkirk with a Utica Heating UH16 series boiler, which I think is similar if not identical to the Dunkirk. I read that Dan H is not a fan of that design (https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/166852/utica-heating-brand-boiler). There were no questions about targeted efficiency from anyone.

Unfortunately, there are no contractors listed on this site that are located all that close to where I live in Randolph (Morris County), NJ. I know that doesn't mean there aren't qualified folks around, but are there any other suggestions (or referrals) to help me locate a qualified installer, beyond Angie's List / Home Adviser, etc? And any suggestions as to what units, if any, I should consider as alternatives to the Utica. For what it's worth, I'd lean toward quality/efficiency over bottom-line cost.
Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    My first choice in your area would be @EzzyT . Creative Solutions Plumbing & Heating, 201-429-0223. I've worked with him, and he does great work. You could also try Gateway Plumbing and Heating -- David and John Cataneo. 973-672-1000. Another top outfit.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    @WJK59 give me a call tomorrow morning and we set up appointment for me to take a look at your system.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    SuperTech
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited July 2020
    You won't find any better than EzzyT.
    John Cataneo and Gateway are also first class.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    You should have found this entry in the "find a contractor" section. Highly recommended. @Dave0176 here on the forum:

DL Mechanical LLC
    732-266-5386
    312 Hillside Ave, Nutley, NJ 07110
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Dave0176
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Any of the above will do the right job
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    We all ought to know what we're doing. This is steam country after all.
    Thanks for the mentions, guys.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • WJK59
    WJK59 Member Posts: 21
    JohnNY said:

We all ought to know what we're doing. This is steam country after all.
    Thanks for the mentions, guys.

Yep - that's why I came to this site. I had Ezzy out to the house this morning. Thanks for the referrals, guys.
    ratioJohnNY