Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

natural gas delivery pressure

rgar98
rgar98 Member Posts: 59
Hello,
We Just moved into a 45 year old house in Montgomery County, Maryland with an oil furnace and I want to convert to NG. Washington Gas needs to know if I want 0.25 psi or 2 psi delivery. I will have a 90K BTU gas furnace and 80K BTU range (these are both approximations); no other appliances are planned, for now. A contractor suggests the 2 psi option in case I want to add other gas appliances in the future. Does this sound reasonable? If I were to add a 40K water heater would that mean I would need to have a 2 PSI line? Obviously, I'm just learning about this subject and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Richard

Comments

• doc_havoc
    doc_havoc Member Posts: 3
    Not only will a 2 psi line provide lots of room for expansion in the future, but it will also require a smaller gas line to deliver the gas, making the installation easier. A .25 psi system will require a much larger gas line to move the same amount of gas, making installation much more difficult. I personally would go with the 2 psi system.
    mattmia2STEVEusaPAGroundUpZman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    2 psi. As @doc_havoc said, it gives you room for expansion, and you can always regulate the pressure down -- in fact, you will anyway -- but you can't regulate it up.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    As an old gas man 50 years in the business I would go with the lower pressure. With the appliances you have listed that is all you need. Keep in mind the regulator on the gas equipment is reducing the pressure typically down to 3.5" W.C. (27.6" W.C. is a pound pressure).

Is your gas range a commercial range? It seems that 80,000 is pretty high most ranges are 10,000 BTU's per top burner (40,000) the oven then is 25,000 so a total of 65,000 BTU's. You can still add the 40,000 BTU water heater. You will need a meter that allows approximately 250,000 so a residential America Meter AL-250 would be fine all operating at low pressure.
    ChrisJZmankcoppB_Sloane
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I would never start out with 2 psi if you're running all new pipe.

If running new pipe size it for 1/4 psi and size it for some expansion.

If you ever had an issue down the road and need more gas you can then add regulators and go up to 2 psi.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Zman
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Regulators are one more thing to fail, leak or have someone install incorrectly and soot up the system or worse. Only reason would eb to save money. But you should be able to do it all in 3/4” black with maybe the initial header in 1” for future expansion. Easy to thread.
    Zman
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    edited February 2020
    That really is a weird argument that the only reason to use 2 psig distribution is to save money. I would argue the only reason we use 7" wc distribution is historic, that it was sized for gas lighting, not for appliance service and to carry gas at that pressure to actual heating appliances requires insanely large piping. It is really more heavy wall duct work than piping at the traditional gas distribution pressure.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Maybe folks in other parts of the country think differently about this. I just can't imagine a house with a load of ~170k going to 2# gas. At 7" you would need 1" pipe max and just for the main piping. Would you go with 2# so you could use 1/2"pipe and then add step down regulators to the appliances? I am truly curious if folks are using 2# gas on small residential projects. Where I am, 2# is for commercial work and residential jobs where the contractor is bad at math. We do occasionally see 2# for really big custom homes where they are trying to avoid welded pipe.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    B_Sloane
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I've never seen a house with 2# run inside, it's (AFAIK) 2# to the meter setting & then a regulator to drop it to ±7".

Personally, that's how I'd do it, that would open you up to a whole-house generator if desired (tap the 2" before the regulator) and still have low pressure inside the house.

Whatever you run, make sure to size the pipes properly.

• ChrisJ
    ratio said:

I've never seen a house with 2# run inside, it's (AFAIK) 2# to the meter setting & then a regulator to drop it to ±7".

Personally, that's how I'd do it, that would open you up to a whole-house generator if desired (tap the 2" before the regulator) and still have low pressure inside the house.

My boss originally had LPG and when we converted his house to NG the piping wasn't big enough. This wasn't an issue, except for a run from the basement to the attic. Since that was very difficult to swap we just converted the entire system to 2 pounds with a regulator at each appliance. All of it of course had to be inspected etc.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    ratio said:

Pressure to the meter can be almost any pressure, 2# is not standard on the utility side. I believe that in my are it varies from 10# to 100#. On older systems it can be < 1#.
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • Zman
    What I see as very common is a GC that goes with "bigger is better" and orders a 2# service. They then don't tell the heating, fireplace and appliance folks who just hook up there appliances as they normally would without step down regulators. Sure enough, the high pressure damages the appliances and ends up costing a bunch of $$$$
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I have a question here. Is there any technical reason that the regulators built in to appliances couldn't be designed to handle anywhere from 4 " wc up to 2 psig and regulate it down to the 2 or 3 " wc the manifold requires?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    mattmia2 said:

I have a question here. Is there any technical reason that the regulators built in to appliances couldn't be designed to handle anywhere from 4 " wc up to 2 psig and regulate it down to the 2 or 3 " wc the manifold requires?

Sure they could but in this cheap, cheaper, cheapest market no one is willing to pay for it!
    mattmia2
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    @mattmia2 Regulators built into appliances are actually built into the gas valves. To change that would push the cost of gas valves through the roof.

The hybrid 2 pound systems are ideal if a typical regulator manifold is applied and then pressure is reduced to 1/2 lb or less to the equipment. Maximum pressure to all gas valves is 14" W.C.
    B_Sloane
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2020

@mattmia2 Regulators built into appliances are actually built into the gas valves. To change that would push the cost of gas valves through the roof.

The hybrid 2 pound systems are ideal if a typical regulator manifold is applied and then pressure is reduced to 1/2 lb or less to the equipment. Maximum pressure to all gas valves is 14" W.C.

@Tim McElwain Isn't there a rule regarding venting such regulators as well? The 2 PSI regulators we installed had vent limiters, but it was really recommended and safer to vent them outdoors and I believe many places required it by code? Is that due to the pressure, or the style of regulator?

• Zman
    rgar98 said:

Hello,
    We Just moved into a 45 year old house in Montgomery County, Maryland with an oil furnace and I want to convert to NG. Washington Gas needs to know if I want 0.25 psi or 2 psi delivery. I will have a 90K BTU gas furnace and 80K BTU range (these are both approximations); no other appliances are planned, for now. A contractor suggests the 2 psi option in case I want to add other gas appliances in the future. Does this sound reasonable? If I were to add a 40K water heater would that mean I would need to have a 2 PSI line? Obviously, I'm just learning about this subject and any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Richard

Not sure if the OP is still with us but...
    @rgar98
    Given the information provided, I would recommend going with .25# gas and sizing your piping for modest future expansion. In the event you add a monster load to the system like a whole house generator, you can always change over to 2# gas and add regulators to each appliance.
    KISS (keep it simple....)
    Albert Einstein
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Vent limiters will slow down the regulator. If you've only got one appliance on the regulator, when the valve closes the regulator may not be able to close fast enough to keep the pressure from overshooting. I've seen 12+ inches before on a regular set to ±7 inches.

I really wish vent limiters were illegal across the board.

• ChrisJ
    k
    ratio said:

Vent limiters will slow down the regulator. If you've only got one appliance on the regulator, when the valve closes the regulator may not be able to close fast enough to keep the pressure from overshooting. I've seen 12+ inches before on a regular set to ±7 inches.

I really wish vent limiters were illegal across the board.

But as soon as the gas valve opens that pressure will drop immediately. So does it really matter?