Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do postings on The Wall influence the products you decide to buy?

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
President
HeatingHelp.com

Do postings on The Wall influence the products you decide to buy? 92 votes

Yes
95%
Larry (from OSHA)GordyDan Foleygerry gilllchmbLarry WeingartenTerry OBob Bona_4JohnNYj a_2Robert O'BrienScottSecorMad Dog_2Carl J. CannizzaroMikeL_2dean_20L Thiesenhot_rodMark EathertonHarvey Ramer 88 votes
No
4%
CMadatMesmklinicy78phosgene 4 votes

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Yes
    You don't have to read very many posts, usually just one, from an individual to figure out if they know what they're talking about. If you respect their opinion it then becomes very easy to give great weight to considering products they use that you may be contemplating. This, of course is a double edged sword
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Erin Holohan HaskellBob Bona_4Solid_Fuel_ManCanuckerrick in AlaskaAlan R. Mercurio_3
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    and I completely concur with @Robert O'Brien 's comment. There are some folks to whom I respond with "I'll do it, yesterday" and others... not so much!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Yes
    I've sworn off AOSmith products after seeing what @JohnNY went thru trying to get tech support for an install he did.
    Erin Holohan Haskelldelta TSolid_Fuel_ManCanuckerJohnNY
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Yes
    The postings sure do influence what I teach. There is nothing better than hearing from those who install and service equipment. There opinions and postings are used in my classroom all the time. I guess that directly affects my students as to what they are going to buy and install.

I will never however bad mouth any product. I just choose to not recommend it if it is a problem.

I rely strongly on manufacturer support and wish more of them visited here and posted, I know many of them lurk but never post. Some stopped posting as they got orders from headquarters as some who post here gave them a hard time. There tends to be a lot less of that now than in the past.

This site definitely has an influence in many ways and especially when you can go back and re read the posts.
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_ManSWEIAlan R. Mercurio_3JohnNYHenry
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Yes
    Yes

@Zman I concur.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Yes
    Well said, Tim. I agree.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Yes
    I agree with Zman. It's not a question of if a component will fail, but more a matter of when, and then it comes down to the response of all parties concerned in rectifying the problem. It's not about the product, it's about the support team that backs the product up.

I have avoided the use of certain products highlighted here after I saw the response from the wholesaler through the rep, to the manufacturer.

This is one of the most influential web sites in the hydronic world, and smart people, including major players in the manufacturers world monitor this site. The smartest ones know they have a problem, and can address it before the world finds out about the alleged problem.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_ManIronmanAlan R. Mercurio_3Henry
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    Yes
    I absolutely will consider B&J steam traps over others because of the way I was treated here. :)

Hope that is ok to say, but honestly I rarely see such commitment as from @Sailah on any product from any vendor.

I also read about tech support and customer service as well as product quality to try to make good choices
    Erin Holohan HaskellIronman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Yes
    Although not in the market for much need of products, what little I do I am married to and own for the rest of my life.

The AOSmith story was very revealing. They were already slipping down in my opinion and that put them in the WC.

I do have a future project for proactive replacement of 2 commercial water heaters and was considering HTP Phoenix. However is there a way to get more reviews on those products/factory service.

Seen not good reports here of re-branded HTP items.

And going off the wall the first Munchkins got a bad beating by the public, people will only complain and seldom complement anything good. The few Munchkins I see have preformed fine.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    Yes
    Absolutely, positively yes yes yes
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    Yes
    The #1 rule in my classes is "The manufacturer has never heard of the problem you are having. Its a lie." I love getting on here and getting the real story from people that are in the boiler room trying to figure out how to get heat to the building.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Erin Holohan HaskellAlan R. Mercurio_3
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    No
    null
    Well I voted using my cracked phone so it registered as a no but I had ment yes.
    I respect the knowledge on this site greatly and have pushed for methods and parts used here.

Erin, could you please scratch my inadvertent 'no' vote! Thankyou!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Yes
    Where's the hell, yes button? The collective intelligence here on HH has become my extended neural network.
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Sorry @icy78, it doesn't look like I can edit the poll. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks for all of the great feedback, everyone!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    icy78
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Yes
    Absolutely. It's one of the reasons I stop by.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Certainly it can influence what you decide to buy. It can also influence who you decide to work for. This could be another angle to pursue?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Yes

I've sworn off AOSmith products after seeing what @JohnNY went thru trying to get tech support for an install he did.

What. This story?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Yes
    JohnNY said:

What. This story?
    @JohnNY yes that one.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Yes
    The postings were helpful..Pretty much had to read between the lines on a lot of them....I think some were posted by sales people, some were posted by home owners that had a bad experience due to poor installs either by contractor or home owner....It only take one time for something to fail for some people to be really pissed and they post It accordingly.....Come to find out it was, whoops not the manufacture...It was Handy Man Harry, or the likes....If my Ford broke down on a frigid cold night, and I was stranded i to would hate Ford...Whoops I didn't check the oil for 3 years....
    J_Jimenez
  • marcusjh
    marcusjh Member Posts: 79
    Yes
    Yup! I've learned a lot here, but I've also learned to check other posts, videos, etc to make sure of what is correct, and favorited.
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Yes
    I have definitely checked the wall before making purchases for my system. I respect the opinions and experience of the folks here, which speak volumes more about a product's function and lifespan than any "ad" can tell me.
    steam newbie
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2017
    No
    I'm in the bottom that voted. Reason why is pretty simple. Being in the industry since the late 80's what I've learned is that contractors purchase the products they do based on what they are comfortable with, the support they get from the product they sell and for the most part are willing to install anything the customer is writing the check for. Sounds crude but that's reality.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
    Hatterasguy
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Yes
    Not crude at all. Just your reality, based on what you've experienced in your life. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.