Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NY State NG Ban. Opinions? And go...

2»

Comments

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,461
    edited January 2022
    My apoltical view is that heat pumps are an amazing technology that should be utilized where ever possible. All of the heat you have to put into the structure was lost to space. It only makes sense to attempt to claw that back and fight against the universes inevitable march towards ever greater entropy. 

But mandating switching over to electric with out ensuring the infrastructure is there to it support will cost lives.

Instead of banning NG why don't they push quality high performance houses. It is not difficult to build a modern house to passive or near passive standards. And once you are to that point heating and cooling becomes real easy regardless of the fuel.
    Larry Weingartenbucksnort
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2022

I believe in the power of the boy who began by sweeping out the office, Mike. Think. 

How many generations ago Dan? Today it's like this:

OK, I'm done.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I’d say this generation, Mike. Erin began by watching me write. She paid very close attention. 

She bought this business six years ago and doubled its size in the first year. Its been growing since then. I’m proud of her. 

I was the previous generation. I swept out the office.  I put my faith in people. I serve people. So does Erin. We’ve learned that this is what matters most in life. To serve others. 

Today, that’s what it’s like for this family. And the family we see includes you all. Right now, we’re questioning you all. 

Thanks for considering that. 

Retired and loving it.
    Larry Weingartenratiopecmsg
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,814
    Exactly, and the recovery unit takes the COP up a bit by warming the return air before the HP coil

Designed for upstate NY. In spring to fall season DHW can be prioritized over cooling, by a function in the HP control. Summer mode has TurboMax at 130 for 100% DHW
    Air handler has ventilation mode, 150 CFM. 

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ethicalpaul
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998

Right now, we’re questioning you all.
    Thanks for considering that.

There is nothing wrong with questioning Dan. It makes one............... THINK. :)

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,461
    Question everything.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    I’m always thinking, Mike. I see opportunity. Others don’t. Thanks for the dialogue. 🙂
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,128
    It seems to me that this group -- The Wall -- is one of the most extraordinary groups of people I know. Each of us different, and yet each of us trying, as best we know how, to help others. Because of our widely different backgrounds, our different experiences, our different places where we live or have lived we have different viewpoints -- widely different viewpoints -- and yet we seem, as a group, to support each other. Some of us have more faith in individual action. Some of us, equally validly, have faith in community or even larger group action. These are remarkably fundamental differences -- and mirror differences on many topics in our communities, our nation as a whole, and indeed the world. That we can all keep talking to each other is truly remarkable, and I -- for one -- am grateful and humbled to be able to be part of the conversation here.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MikeAmannHot_water_fanErin Holohan HaskellShane_2
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 869
    edited January 2022
    ratio said:

jumper said:

…green hydrogen…

AFAIK the only green H₂ is interstellar H₂. Nearly everything else comes from cracking water, natural gas, etc.

I got a haaaard time believing that adding more overhead will increase efficiency.

Cracking water would be better than reforming CH4, but now you need a lot of electricity. Where's that going to come from ? Natural gas generators?
    Also, H2 is a lot more prone to diffuse through joints etc. than CH4 is. You can't run it through the present natural gas infrastructure.

Like @ratio says, the only "green" H2 would need to be "imported" from a long way off.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.