Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HVAC errors in books, TV, and movies

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I recently reread The Shining, which is far scarier than the film. The boiler in the Overlook Hotel plays a big role in the story in that (spoiler alert!), it blows up the building at the end of the tale. It's a steam boiler heating radiators and operating at 300 psi. And that makes me nuts. Are there no technical editors to help Mr. King?

Another novel, this one by Lee Child, had Jack Reacher syphoning gasoline out of a tank that was several hundred feet below his vacuum pump. Grrrr.

Got any other examples of HVAC stumbling that you've spotted in books, TV, or films? Love to hear them.
Retired and loving it.
luketheplumberTurbo Daveroboertwilliamm

Comments

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    The steam boiler in "The Preachers Wife" looks like it was installed with PVC pipe.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    The radiator in Jerry Seinfeld’s apartment is a Clow Gasteam, connected to nothing. 
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2Robert O'Brien
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited November 2020
    My favorite movie... A Christmas Story... The furnace billows soot out of the register in the kitchen... I thought he should have a smoke test for the heat exchanger. All those byproducts of burning coal right in the house.

But back then they used mercury and asbestos, so what's a little CO added into the mix anyway!

And it bangs like a steam boiler??? Coal does not go boom and furnaces don't have steam hammering noises.

There is a better chance of putting your eye out with a BB Gun, then there is of getting that heater working that way.

It is interesting though... every dumb thing that happened over my entire life happened to that kid in less than a month.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    luketheplumber
  • DanHolohan
    How about the boiler (furnace?) in Home Alone?
    Retired and loving it.
    luketheplumberTinman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2020
    In an NCIS episode a few yews back, some guys break into their building by posing as HVAC tech's. One of them knocks the power out while working on a RTU and electrocutes himself. When they discover him, they point to the open disconnect switch on the unit and call it a transformer - repeatedly.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcoppSolid_Fuel_ManTinman
  • Illinoisfarmer
    Illinoisfarmer Member Posts: 52
    I've been re-watching 'Hill Street Blues'. The basement roll call room has some sort of heating device on the wall behind and to the side of the blackboard. It appears to be fed from a main coming from above, zig-zags pipe back and forth, then tees back into the same feeder. Found an image.

I have NO experience with this stuff, but enjoy reading this forum. The family is somewhat concerned that I now point out problems like this.
    kcopp
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    In ALL spy movies, HVAC ductwork is always big enough to crawl through, easily supports a person, doesn’t make noise crawling through it, and return grills are always big enough for a person and are easily removed in seconds with a pocket knife.

Even better, all underground facilities have big ventilation fans that are 5’ or larger diameter propeller fans. This actually could be partly true in some tunnels of very large parking structures.
    SlamDunkSTEVEusaPAluketheplumberTinman
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Not HVAC related but when someone in a movie/ tv show sets of 1 sprinkler head.... ALL the heads start raining water.
    STEVEusaPAmattmia2luketheplumber
  • vtfarmer
    vtfarmer Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2020
    We have to include the furnace-monster in Home Alone!

It's part boiler, part gravity octopus furnace, and I think there's actually a radiator lying on its side in it when the grill opens! I looked for a video of that sequence and found something hilarious: a Google commercial with that scene in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JONGt32mfRY
    luketheplumber
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    I was watching a movie and the henchmen wanted to send poisonous gas into the house so they piped it at the outdoor condensing unit. I jumped up and yelled, Hey That won't work,"
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Solid_Fuel_ManTinman
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
    edited November 2020

I was watching a movie and the henchmen wanted to send poisonous gas into the house so they piped it at the outdoor condensing unit. I jumped up and yelled, Hey That won't work,"

My wife gets annoyed when I do that. Like when the nightly news shows restaurants in NYC building tents over their sidewalks for outdoor seating for covid protection. That won't work. One place showed they had intakes and exhaust vents to refresh the air. That's great unless you're sitting next to the exhaust vent.
    I get the eye roll.
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    @SlamDunk I get that all the time. I wish they would spend some money and hire an expert. I watched the first episode of Man from Uncle on TV and the hero was handcuffed to a steam pipe. He kicked the pipe until it broke loose. I turned it off Lol
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Has anyone seen Ted Cook's (aka "Anti DIY HVAC") Cowboys of HVAC show on YouTube?
    he has released 3 episodes at the moment and has quite a few more on the way. I would recommend you all check it out, its just too funny.
    here is the pilot episode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0XbyPfO0Q&t=21s
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    Ironman
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457

In ALL spy movies, HVAC ductwork is always big enough to crawl through, easily supports a person, doesn’t make noise crawling through it, and return grills are always big enough for a person and are easily removed in seconds with a pocket knife.

Even better, all underground facilities have big ventilation fans that are 5’ or larger diameter propeller fans. This actually could be partly true in some tunnels of very large parking structures.

Don't forget that the ductwork is always, Spotless! And most of the grills have hinges on them. Makes me cringe.
    Rick
    Tinman
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    How about the boiler (furnace?) in Home Alone?
    KEVIN! 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Erin Holohan Haskellluketheplumber
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540

The radiator in Jerry Seinfeld’s apartment is a Clow Gasteam, connected to nothing. 

Apropos for a show about nothing! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Erin Holohan HaskellCanuckerkcoppmattmia2
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    I especially like the Carrier equipment advertising , IIIRC, that show the furnace PVC exhaust that would blow right at the outdoor condenser.
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 354
    I always enjoy NYC based movies or tv shows where the nosy neighbors are snooping by listening at the gravity heating ducts in massive pre-war apartment buildings - with the register in the middle of the living floors. As we all know.... they got steam heat, sszzzziiiisss
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    We can't forget The Burbs Dr. Colpek's giant Boiler ( furnace) lol
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    It's even worse for computer stuff :sweat_smile:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    CLamb
  • Swamp_Yankee
    Swamp_Yankee Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2020
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the mother of all mechanical room brawls, the final fight scene of Commando!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9aiYqSRfCM
    First of all the mechanical room of the evil villain's lair (a house on an island) is the size of the Titanic's engine room, black pipe is effortlessly ripped from walls and used as weapons, giant boilers doors are opened willy-nilly in an attempt to force the other guy inside Hansel and Gretel style, the bad guy is briefly electrocuted by what looks like a small high voltage substation (with no lasting effects) and finally, what looks like 4" or so black pipe is pulled off of the wall (nothing comes out of it) and is then hurled through the air, impales the bad guy, and pierces some sort of steam vessel which harmlessly vents off instead of rupturing catastrophically :D
  • DanHolohan
     :D 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Swamp_Yankee
    Swamp_Yankee Member Posts: 15
    I thought I had posted the entire fight scene and not just the final seconds.  Here it is in all of it's far fetched absurd glory:
    https://youtu.be/80q2fG_icUk
    AMservicesJakek
  • kenjohnson
    kenjohnson Member Posts: 84
    Nice touch in Cowboys of HVAC where one of the installers has sunglasses on during the attic install.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited November 2020
    Don't forget Diehard. Vertical ducts that are 20 feet across with a little fan that can be jambed with a rifle at the top.
    One day the good guy will run into a balancing damper and that will be the end.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    ratioCanucker
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    My favorite is the swarm of killer bees flying into a Texas nuke's air intake followed by the nuke exploding.
  • Woody_S
    Woody_S Member Posts: 12
    How about EVERY mech room that has steam leaking, even if its obviously a hot water system?
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Is this how people get into the HVAC industry now?
    Clip from "the community" 

https://youtu.be/KrcY6PXkGuE
    Erin Holohan HaskellSolid_Fuel_ManCLamb
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Wait—that isn't how you were inducted?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    You wouldn't believe me if I told you. 

I love paninis, they are outta this world. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    ratio
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
    edited December 2020
    kcopp said:

Not HVAC related but when someone in a movie/ tv show sets of 1 sprinkler head.... ALL the heads start raining water.

Impress your fellow movie goers. Tell them "oh look, that's a Deluge System".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler_system#Deluge_systems

I once worked at a place where one morning after a very cold night it was raining in the enclosed loading docks. The building had a wet system. Someone should have either spec'd a dry system, or turned up the stat in the loading dock. Very expensive lesson.
    I DIY.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    First scene above....why is air coming out of the RA filter grills in the hallway?
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Not a HVAC item, but do you ever watch someone "hot wiring" a car?
    Once inside they reach up under the dash and pull out the "extra" 2 feet of wire (only the switch and start circuit have that extra length of wire BTW)....cut them apart....strip ends...maybe tie 2 together, ( could be one of the wires they just cut in two)....then flash a couple more together and the car starts. They put in in gear and drive away.
    But cars have had steering wheel/shift lever locks since maybe the 70's.....all these cars are newer. Some even look new enough for fob keys....how did the wheel get unlocked?
    Solid_Fuel_Manrick in Alaska
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    I was watching Bobs Burgers, the meat man episode with my daughter the other day and was surprised to see a very accurate boiler and water heater at the beginning of that episode.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker