Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choice between Trane, Lennox, York or Carrier unit. Which do you choose?

Hello, everyone.

I've been researching this but it seems I'm getting varying answers.

I'm installing a 6-7 ton high-efficient HVAC unit in a retail space. I can only choose from Trane, Lennox, York, or Carrier. Which one would you choose?

I know the contractor is the most important but right now, I need to figure out the which brand/make I need to install.

Which one would you choose?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    JUST my opinion:
    Trane=best quality
    Lennox ok ....but weird
    York & carrier=Junk
    TeachMeSteam
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Package roof top?
    Always liked Rheem.
    Didn't make your top 4 though.
    TeachMeSteam
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    We sell Rheem, so we’re biased. Well built, easy to work on, easy to install. Good supplier network but we don’t sell much commercial.

Honestly, they are all junk built to a spec price point.

I personally hate Johnson Controls (York). Their controls are really hard ot work on.

Trance is over priced and service calls are expensive. Might get the equipment cheap.

Lennox and Carrier seem to think “they know a better way”. They are often wrong and their parts are expensive, with a lot of obsolescence.

Of the 4 listed, I’d go with Carrier if there’s a good mechanical contractor supporting it. The Carrier contractors I’ve worked with as a facilities engineers were all very good.

Have only bad experiences with JCI (York) and Trane. Again, very very expensive service calls.

Daikon/MCQuay isn’t too bad. Cheap, but if properly installed, parts are easy to come by.

TeachMeSteam
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    York story.... brand new RTU’s installed in 2016. In 2018, had 10 units installed on a large industrial building. ALL of the 3, 4 and 5 ton units had their condenser fans crack and fail. ALL of them. JCI, just swept it under the rug and didn’t warranty it. Had ot may for the new fan blades and labor to replace them. Their controls had fixed differentials and had horrible temp control and swing. They run at 0.1-1CPH at times with 3-5F temp swings. Could not adjust it.
    TeachMeSteam
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2019
    Thanks everyone for their opinion. It helps A LOT.

To be honest, it's not just one unit we are installing. I'm supposed to be overseeing the installation of about the 5 of them in the next few months. The 6-7 ton is the one that we are about to install in the next month. All for retail applications.

I just want to say that you guys give a lot of good input here. I appreciate it.

The major problem is that all of you guys seem to have such varying and very strong opinions (similar to the research I've been doing). Some guys say certain brands are junk and different brands are great. Other pros say the exact opposite. I don't know which to pick!

But, I'll keep trying. Thanks again for the input.
  • TeachMeSteam
    mikeg2015 said:

York story.... brand new RTU’s installed in 2016. In 2018, had 10 units installed on a large industrial building. ALL of the 3, 4 and 5 ton units had their condenser fans crack and fail. ALL of them. JCI, just swept it under the rug and didn’t warranty it. Had ot may for the new fan blades and labor to replace them. Their controls had fixed differentials and had horrible temp control and swing. They run at 0.1-1CPH at times with 3-5F temp swings. Could not adjust it.

Darn'. That just's wrong. I feel your pain. It's messed up how manufacturers don't honor their warranty when it's clearly in their wrong. Just plain wrong.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    We install a lot of Carrier & Lennox. Used to install a lot of York, 'cause they're cheap, but Johnson did a number on us & the boss said we weren't going to use them any more. Trane from time to time, but they're expensive, & you can't do much with their controls on your own. Been installing a lot of Aaons lately, so much so that I'm going to have to go to their startup & controls class. Often ICP for splits.
    TeachMeSteam
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Trane and American Standard are identical units. If you have an American Standard dealer they are usually a little cheaper.

I have found Trane/AS to be consistant as far as quality and the units are a bit more rugged in my opinion.

All the controls on anyones unit are troublesome until you learn them.

York & Carrier are very flimsy and cheap.

JMHO

But it is a competitive market none of them are made to be great especially the 3-20 tonners
    TeachMeSteam
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609

All the controls on anyones unit are troublesome until you learn them.

This is true, the controls guy and the HVAC guy often end up being different people, who can't seem to be in the same place at the same time, so the unit gets started, but the controls don't get setup properly for the application.

TeachMeSteam
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd choose any of them before I'd go with York.
    Steve Minnich
    ratioSuperTechTeachMeSteam
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    In the good old days the oil company I worked for got in on air conditioning back when AC started. They were a York Distributor.

York's equipment back then was top of the line built like it would last forever they were one of the originals best engineering .

It's all changed now
    TeachMeSteam
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    I like Lennox. For over 25 years now.
    TeachMeSteam
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    edited March 2019
    I really don't like York/JCI. Not a Lennox fan either. Trane/American Standard is ok but we don't have a local supplier in my area so parts are not easily available.
    I like Carrier for RTUs because they are easy to work on.

As a consumer I would probably go with whatever has the best warranty.

Goodman is an option?
    TeachMeSteam
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    There is a reason the contractors more important then the name on the box!

I can only choose from Trane, Lennox, York, or Carrier.

Why only these 3?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    In the past 10 years ot so on package units we have been using trane and have really had no issues w them .as all the trane ,carrier distrubition centers are getting smaller and smaller it hard to know who to deal w . I,m kinda of lucky both are right in town but it seems trane a little better on parts on hand .there both looking like ghost towns as compared to years ago ,carrier is whittled down to maybe 4 guys Between warehouse and counter . Days of old would have 2 to 3 in warehouse and 5 or 6 guys working the counter .i feel they all may be going the way of the dodo possible to big for there own good and these days there’s a lot of competition in other brands . As for counter knowledge who knows in our area most of the good counter guys are gone from the counters and working at Johnstone or another hvac supply or other endeviours .
    Personally if there installed correctly there all the same go w what’s local and stocked as it pertains to parts and boards .as w all do the start up and chk everything lost a compressor not long ago reason low ambient n the crank case was not wired from factory no body checked it oi vey . Quality on all w except maybe Aaon is not what it used to be and as always I rarely see duct jobs done at least to my likings but I’m nuts lol . Our whole rooftop replace end kinda died w the rebates and such offered by the local ulitites and gov rebates it made it not worth the time being we don’t offer the free be to those who are far ahead $ of the rest of us and can afford it but would rather put the payment on some one else’s back ,now we fix them mostly icp and always if not 80 percent of these jobs where adapter curbs and plop on curb . I wont rant to bad but its funny, guy own a building forever does nothing put the money in pocket and gets rebates and for updating to HE usually w a new roof and roof insulation and we the taxpayer pays .when it comes to rooftop replacements just can’t compete w the rebates and such but the good part is they can install but rarely do the maintaince and service ? What’s that song I hear all the time oh yeah we want the world .lol I personally would go w trane on package units imho better build better doors better quality as for tech service there all the same call and wait should u need it. Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    TeachMeSteamIntplm.
  • TeachMeSteam
    pecmsg said:

Why only these 3?
    I'm getting the installation and materials at a discount under a government program.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

pecmsg said:

Why only these 3?
    I'm getting the installation and materials at a discount under a government program.
    Im sorry but I've never seen government rebates that dictate brands.

In any case id concentrate more on the installing contractors name more then the name on the equipment!
    TeachMeSteamSuperTech
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Have had great experiances with Trane. Both commercial and residential.
    TeachMeSteamB_Sloane
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    nothing with a micro channel coil
    TeachMeSteamSuperTechB_Sloane
  • TeachMeSteam
    edited March 2019
    pecmsg said:

Im sorry but I've never seen government rebates that dictate brands.

In any case id concentrate more on the installing contractors name more then the name on the equipment!

It's not so much a government rebate but a program in which they do the work for you at a discounted cost. It comes to about 40% off. They dictate the contractors and brands that you can use.

How do you determine a good HVAC contractor from a bad one?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    what brand has parts close to you? Go with that brand.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615

How do you determine a good HVAC contractor from a bad one?

That is the question, isn't it?

Mayby ask them for some pics of their previous work.

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Quality of work and reputation determines the good from the bad. If you see high quality work in your area find out who did it.
  • TeachMeSteam
    SuperTech said:

Quality of work and reputation determines the good from the bad. If you see high quality work in your area find out who did it.

That's not a very easy thing to do...
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I guess these are replacement units most Of those rebate deals apply to replacement equipment .as for the quality you get it really depend upon the installation company usually there larger companies smalls guys really don’t want to be bothered fighting to get there re emburment $ and of course wait and waiting and a forgetting dotted sentence or uncrossed t means waiting to get your payment ,i wish u the best of luck . Not to **** but I really hate this program every dead beat w ancient equipment gets the tax payer to pay that 40 %.completly unfair and a bs way to make the manafactures sector look like the countries gnp is good all bs .i feel it enables building owner to default on maintaince and repairs cause Uncle Sam gonna get him a great deal w a fair share being payed by the rest of us completly unfair . We had a few go this path some we still service some we sent back to sea espicaaly after years of keeping there turd going only for them To get a great deal cause the tax payer picking up the rest .i find it extremely funny most are driving Benz and living in some huge homes got money for that but not for ur building oi vey best of luck .i feel that commercial building like business should pay there own way and not get a deal that the taxpayers are paying ,either take a loan or save like the rest of us .i know I’m a odd fit but I ve never asked for a rebate on my own he low temp system could i of got one sure enough did I no .i personally don’t really look for the free be I’ll pay my way and get by without it’s done all the time .i live by my means not above a lessen I think a lot should learn to live by and that if your business can’t make it happen then figure out why fix it cut back and don’t ask or receiver a buy out from the tax payer . Please take what I say w a grain of salt none of it is meant to be mean or aimed at u .if the program is done under a ulitlity provider ask them bout service contracts it seems from my experiences that they will and do not offer to commercial spaces a private co might but if it’s the same company that installed don’t be surprised if theyonly offer service contracts to those who have maintaince contracts catch 22 ,if you go this route make sure they completle the job and did not cut any corners and did the factory start up again sorry for the rant wish you the best on your project .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    pecmsg
  • Earnest1974
    Earnest1974 Member Posts: 1
    When I was still in the field, before my government days. I use to work with a HVAC company that did a lot of larger rooftop units. he always installed Trane , but after the warranty expired he would gut all there controls and replace with easy to get parts.
    My company did all the electrical work for them , and for a couple of years we did the control installs for Dayton Trane on larger projects I often seen a lot of issues with Trane controls
    Just my 2 cents
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Well around here in Jersey JCI York is really easy to get parts for as is Carrier. Also York’s are really easy to work on and it’s what I install. Now of all the units I’ve installed, I haven’t had an issue with ANY of them, I like their rooftops very easy to work on.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    There’s no silver bullet out there. No such thing as a unit that does not have problems at some point. The real trouble is, most homeowners cannot distinguish a low level operator from a high-level operator (and how could they- there is a lot of technical stuff in the heating-cooling trades). Just hire the guy with the best reputation
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SuperTechIronman
  • B_Sloane
    B_Sloane Member Posts: 56
    Trane for my $$
    they have cheapened their units the least
    if you want to work on your own units, modern controls will take some investment in time and money to do so
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Decades ago KeepRite made very good stuff in Canada. If I was using an unknown contractor I'd go for Lennox because it had superior contractor support.