Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Crown Steam Boiler

Options
2»

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    BobC said:

I agree the equalizer has to be piped correctly, it's a shame because the work he did on the header was not bad -it just won't work right till that equalizer is piped right.

Looking at the manual it seems there is no choice but to use the PRV tapping to skim the boiler. Listen to what others have said about installing a T on that PRV tapping with the safety above and a horizontal pipe and cap to skim through.

Bob

He didn't really do any work on the header other than make it wrong. That header is the original from the old boiler, he just capped the old equalizer and put the new one in the wrong place.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    JUGHNE
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Looking more closely proves you are right, that plug is new the rest of the header was probably existing.

A 27" monitor and i still have to use a magnifying glass sometimes.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I just reviewed the manual for that boiler and they don't talk about skimming only using a boil out solution blah blah.

In the picture I am wondering what the connection I circled is? It seems to be at the correct height for skimming. To the OP get a better picture of that so we can tell if it can be used. Otherwise I agree the relief valve may be the only option.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • coolfx35
    coolfx35 Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their helpful comments, especially KC_Jones, someone that goes above and beyond.

• KC_Jones
    Options
    From the angle of that last pic, it wouldn't surprise me if that thing just stops working in the next day or 2. The header is going to fill with water and possibly block all steam from getting to the system. Either that or it's going to slam it all into the mains periodically and hammer like mad.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    joshpjostJUGHNE1Matthias
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2018
    Options
    i am not sure you mean, so will correcting the equalizer solve my issue today or not? this guy is coming in 30 minutes, I can't make him read this post. LOL

I only had it running about 6 hours before turning off. One pipe was banging few times. Hopefully no damage was done to the new boiler itself.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    yes.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    And, he really should read these posts.
    brandonf
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Yes connecting the equalizer in the correct location fixes the issue. Think of it this way, when steam cools it turns to water, water runs downhill. Steam condenses in that header, now look at the pitch on those pipes and where the water is going to go.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • coolfx35
    Options
    thank you, I will see what he says. will keep you updated.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    best price, worst quality! Oh man!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    Really, really don't understand how someone that knows steam could install that and not see a problem.

The thing that gets me is doing it right really wouldn't be any more work
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2018
    Options
    He came and fixed the problem, when I told him about the banging, he realized what he did wrong and came prepared with all the pipes etc, thank guys for your help.

New boiler now running smooth.
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    coolfx35 said:

... he realized what he did wrong and came prepared with all the pipes etc,

Black iron pipes? Or is it still copper?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    I won't mention the name of the company but this work is the trademark of one company out of the Union/Essex Counties of NJ that low bids everybody else and gets a ton of replacement jobs in the area. I lose work to them daily and I get people calling me a crook because my proposal was 30% higher than theirs. They absolutely refuse to install a boiler properly. Every one of them looks like this.
    And if that's not enough, the most annoying thing about it is that a lot of the installations work at least quietly *somehow* and so no one pays them a second thought or questions any of it. They just pay.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,729
    Options
    > @coolfx35 said:
    > He came and fixed the problem, when I told him about the banging, he realized what he did wrong and came prepared with all the pipes etc, thank guys for your help.
    >
    > New boiler now running smooth.

Awesome news! Can we see pictures of the final work?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

> @coolfx35 said:

Awesome news! Can we see pictures of the final work?

Exactly. There's no chance whatsoever this went well.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    joshpjost
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options

Pro Press!
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Funny thing is Crown sells piping kits for that boiler in one or two risers, can’t get more simpler than that.

DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    Steam is not as forgiving as hot water.

But we have all seen jobs that work even though they were butchered. Sometimes they just do.

Take an oversized boiler with a undersized header and slow vents. Steam flow is slowed so it works quietly just not efficiently
    Ironman