Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem with excessive noise in recently installed Lochinvar Noble boiler

Options
mswhite
mswhite Member Posts: 1
The fan makes a high pitched whine when it runs that sounds like an electric saw sawing something thick. When it first was hooked up it made a sound like metal shearing—this has now turned into a this whine. It is even noisier outside where the vent is. It has to be turned down so it won’t run at night so we can sleep. It also may be making other high frequency noise because the dog won’t eat his food and drink when in the house and wants to be outside all the time on the opposite of the house relative to the vent. The boiler itself also is noisy when it runs. Lots of vibration—sounds like a jet plane when it runs. The installer says all this noise is normal. However, I would never have bought this boiler if this is just a common feature of the Lochinvar Noble boilers. So help! What can be done if anything? Can it be returned? Are there boilers that are quiet? How can I get action from the installers on this.
Many thanks for advice or information.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    It's not normal. Theirs something amiss either with the boiler itself or the installation, and that's something for you to work on with the installer. How to get them to do that? That depends a great deal on you r relationship with them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    DZoro
  • mswhite
    Options
    Thank you so much. I’m going to measure the frequencies and decibel levels so I have proof it has a problem. As a woman, it is hard to be taken seriously.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Jamie is correct, If the installer is having trouble figuring it out, have him call Lochinvar Technical support.
    That boiler is for the most part pretty quiet, on 100% fire may have the sound of air rush in at the outside vent but that's all.
    D
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2021
    Options
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Call Lochinvar as others have mentioned.

Is the gas connection to this boiler connected in rigid pipe or CSST flex pipe?
    rick in Alaska
  • mswhite
    Options
    It looks like the gas comes in to the bottom from a black rigid pipe that is a little bigger in diameter than the hot water pipes.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Can you record the noise with your phone and post it? Video usually works well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mswhite
    Options
    Instead of recording the sound I had a friend come over and measure the boiler’s sound levels. The decibels are within normal range but it is emitting frequencies in the 16,000 to 20,000 hertz range. This explains why the dog won’t eat or drink when it is on and even though this is beyond the range of normal hearing, I find it irritating. Plus, such high frequencies can damage your hearing. For comparison purposes we measured the sound level of a similar type of boiler a neighbor has which is brand new but not the same brand. Its frequency levels are extremely low and don’t even get close to this. Has anyone run into this problem?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @mswhite
    You need to try and isolate the noise. Stay in the basement and observe it. Turn your thermostat up high. Go to the basement and shut the boiler off when it stops then re start it observe when it makes noise. The boiler will start a just purge for a period of time with no flame Is it making noise then? Then the burner will ignite. Is it making the noise only when the gas flame is burning??. Does it make the noise when the flame goes out and it post purges? etc etc
    kcopp
  • mswhite
    Options
    Thank you. I did this. It makes the noise constantly after I turn it on. It seems to cycle every second or 2 going from a low level frequencies to 16000 to 17000 hertz and sometime 20,000 hertz. When gas goes off it just makes swish and no more noise.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @mswhite

Sounds like a combustion issue. Is any of the gas piping connected to this boiler flex type piping. I asked this before
  • plumbbob
    plumbbob Member Posts: 19
    Options
    was boiler dialed in with a combustion analyzer
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    It needs to be set up with a combustion analyzer. Set high, and then low fire readings to the factory specifications in the installation manual. When this has been done and the issue were to continue, then contact the factory for further adjustments.
    D
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I don't know anyone that troubleshoots sound by measuring the frequency. If you can post an audio, someone here has probably heard the same noise and help diagnose.
    Incorrect combustion and harmonics through the gas lines are common causes of noise in these kinds of boilers.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • juni70
    juni70 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    The problem with the vibration is the diverter motor small electric motor that switches boiler from Dhw to space heat 
  • sparkyee7
    sparkyee7 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi,

I have the same problem, unit 6 months old. Replaced Grundos internal pump, did not solve the issue. Used mechanics stethoscope to determine origin of noise. Seems to be loudest from blower assembly on top. Besides the high pitched ringing noise it also make a wooshing sound when it fires. Contractor is very helpful but this is not a no-heat issue so I don't want to keep bugging him. I don't know if this is normal for this type of boiler but it is very annoying since it is right next to my man-cave :>). It has saved me over 25% on my heating bill this winter. Was this problem ever resolved?

Thanks a lot!

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options

A whooshing sound could be the ignition, has the gas or LP pressure been checked at the gas valve. Got a combustion analysis report. That noise should be tunable, made to disappear

Did you contact the Lochinvar rep about the diverter noise?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,922
    Options

In my Mod Con experience, this is the gas valve/air intake components out of whack or just bad. I had a Buderus GB-142 do this about 6 months in. Did all the adjustments to spec via the Tech Support, but they would up just shipping us a new one. Good luck mad Dog