Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair a gas leak without turning off gas?

Med618
Med618 Member Posts: 15
Have an apartment building in the Bronx(NY). Some of the fittings are worn, and plumber says they need to be replaced. The problem as I understand it is if you replace the fittings, you have to shut off the gas, and then in NYC you, can't turn the gas back on until the line is pressure tested. In the event that the pressure test fails, we have a bigger problem. Anyway to make repairs safely without shutting down the system?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Not that I know of. There's a reason for the restrictions...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    How does a fitting get 'worn'?
    STEVEusaPAmattmia2luketheplumber
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Dont try it, you will regret the consequences
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Can't you just push a potato over the end of a pipe to stop the gas flow, Then when everything is done just test for leaks with a cigarette lighter?

Ah... the good old days!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ratioJUGHNEluketheplumber
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    My uncle wanted to do that when replacing a water heater. maybe install some isolation valve while you're at it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Anybody got a match? I need to see if I got this joint tight...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Old time plumber I knew would turn on the gas when he was done piping then light his "B" tank to look for leaks
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited July 2020
    @Med618
    Back in 2011 @BobC said, "First there are no silly questions, we all had to start learning from scratch." regarding your post about pressure controls.

Your query here is very close to being the exception to that rule.

Just remember that any rule, law, code, or regulation (such as gas pipe pressure test,) has been put in place because, at some time in the past, someone somewhere did not use common sense. As a result, there was property damage, injury, or death.

After the insurance company paid the claim, a group of people sat around a table and said, how can we keep this from happening again? A consensus was formed and a code, regulation, recommendation, law, or rule was then put in place.

This is the reason that all McDonald's coffee cups have the words "Caution: Contents Hot" on them. 79-year-old ladies order hot coffee, spill coffee on their lap, and get paid $640,000.00 for their witless behavior.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    BillyOmattmia2
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    If we're going OT, you should look into that coffee incident. I did a little, and it really isn't like you implied. IIRC the payout was ordered by the jury, far in excess of what was asked for.

And I'm sure the OP doesn't want to get into a situation like this.

mattmia2ethicalpaul
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
    edited July 2020
    You are in NYC where a building's gas could be shut off for months. I would get a second, and even a third opinion. If you have a leak, it has to be repaired. If you have a worn fitting, you have to question the diagnosis. What does a worn gas fitting look like if it isn't leaking?

If you have a problem make sure you go with the most experienced who can get problem resolved and gas turned on legally and quickly. There are horror stories about Con Ed and buildings in the Bronx.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Med618 said:

Have an apartment building in the Bronx(NY). Some of the fittings are worn, and plumber says they need to be replaced. The problem as I understand it is if you replace the fittings, you have to shut off the gas, and then in NYC you, can't turn the gas back on until the line is pressure tested. In the event that the pressure test fails, we have a bigger problem. Anyway to make repairs safely without shutting down the system?

And this is WHY!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_East_Village_gas_explosion#:~:text=A gas explosion occurred in the afternoon of,by an illegal tap into a gas main.