Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best combustion gas analyzer to buy need advice

Options
mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 174
I'm looking to buy one any advice what i should get. thanks mike

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    What are your needs with it and what type of equipment are you testing? If you aren't going to use it much TPI makes some inexpensive ones. If you a professional then maybe something from Testo would be better. I have the 320 but I've used the 310 as well.
    BillyO
  • mikedo
    Options
    testing gas heating and hot water equipment. I'm not going to use it much I'm more of a plumber. but id rather buy something thats going to last even if its a little more
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    One thing to be aware of with just about all of them: the O2 sensor has a SHELF life of two years and it's not cheap. It will also fail without warning and usually at the least opportune time. Having a spare on hand does no good, because again, it has a shelf life whether it's installed or not.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTechSTEVEusaPAZman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I like the E Instruments BTU 1500. Easy maintenance, rugged, strong magnets, nice screen (multiple readings on one screen if wanted. Some you need to scroll through). Integral printer. I've also used a liked the Wohler Pro 400.
    Some have Bluetooth.
    SlamDunk
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I second the Testo 320.
    Zman
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have the Bacharach Fyrite Intec. Great unit.
    Mine does not have a printer, I just email a screen shot.

The sensors are reasonably priced, and Supply house.com has them in stock, I can get them next day.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I'll second the E Instruments. I've had one for about 10 years with no issues but the O2 sensor and maybe a charger.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I like the Testo 320.
    This is a Ford/Chevy/Dodge kind of conversation. There are quite a few good ones out there. It ends up being a personal preference.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcoppIronman
  • SuperTech
    Options
    Testo 320 is definitely a favorite for HVAC technicians who use it a lot. The Testo 330 is the latest and greatest offering from Testo. But since you say that you aren't going to use it a lot the Testo 310 would probably be a better option, it still performs well, I just don't like the black and white display as much. I also found it took a little getting used to after having only used the 320. But the 310 is more affordable, as are the instruments from TPI.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Testo 320 for me, but like others have expressed, I have only used a Wohler, and a UEI. Testo in my experience was better.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • mikedo
    Options
    i was looking i think the 320 is discontinued
  • SuperTech
    Options
    > @mikedo said:
    > i was looking i think the 320 is discontinued

I see several available online. I know my local supply houses still sell them.
    kcopp
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Im partial to the Testo 310. Im like you , don't use it much. But its accurate and stays accurate well beyond its expected life cycle.
    kcopp