Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best combustion gas analyzer to buy need advice

mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 174
I'm looking to buy one any advice what i should get. thanks mike

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    What are your needs with it and what type of equipment are you testing? If you aren't going to use it much TPI makes some inexpensive ones. If you a professional then maybe something from Testo would be better. I have the 320 but I've used the 310 as well.
    BillyO
  • mikedo
    testing gas heating and hot water equipment. I'm not going to use it much I'm more of a plumber. but id rather buy something thats going to last even if its a little more
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    One thing to be aware of with just about all of them: the O2 sensor has a SHELF life of two years and it's not cheap. It will also fail without warning and usually at the least opportune time. Having a spare on hand does no good, because again, it has a shelf life whether it's installed or not.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTechSTEVEusaPAZman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited June 2020
    I like the E Instruments BTU 1500. Easy maintenance, rugged, strong magnets, nice screen (multiple readings on one screen if wanted. Some you need to scroll through). Integral printer. I've also used a liked the Wohler Pro 400.
    Some have Bluetooth.
    SlamDunk
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I second the Testo 320.
    Zman
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    edited June 2020
    I have the Bacharach Fyrite Intec. Great unit.
    Mine does not have a printer, I just email a screen shot.

The sensors are reasonably priced, and Supply house.com has them in stock, I can get them next day.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I'll second the E Instruments. I've had one for about 10 years with no issues but the O2 sensor and maybe a charger.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I like the Testo 320.
    This is a Ford/Chevy/Dodge kind of conversation. There are quite a few good ones out there. It ends up being a personal preference.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcoppIronman
  • SuperTech
    Testo 320 is definitely a favorite for HVAC technicians who use it a lot. The Testo 330 is the latest and greatest offering from Testo. But since you say that you aren't going to use it a lot the Testo 310 would probably be a better option, it still performs well, I just don't like the black and white display as much. I also found it took a little getting used to after having only used the 320. But the 310 is more affordable, as are the instruments from TPI.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Testo 320 for me, but like others have expressed, I have only used a Wohler, and a UEI. Testo in my experience was better.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • mikedo
    i was looking i think the 320 is discontinued
  • SuperTech
    > @mikedo said:
    > i was looking i think the 320 is discontinued

I see several available online. I know my local supply houses still sell them.
    kcopp
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Im partial to the Testo 310. Im like you , don't use it much. But its accurate and stays accurate well beyond its expected life cycle.
    kcopp