Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dishwasher in a Summer Camp

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
My nephew installed a new dishwasher in his home and the one he removed works fine he wants to install it in his summer camp where the plumbing is drained in the winter. Crawl space beneath the house. I guess a tee in the crawl space with a drain valve on it would take care of the hot water line. And the drain line could be looped down and back up with a drain at the bottom.

What about the pump?

Anyone ever done this??

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    edited May 2020
    Options
    A dishwasher in a summer camp? We used to use the lake...

You might have to figure out how to drain the pump -- perhaps. I'd experiment, though, and see if you couldn't figure out how much RV antifreeze you'd have to pour into it to do the job. Open the drain line drain valve (good idea, that!) and see... I use the stuff in the water closets and traps in the summer cottages I care for, and have had good success with it (so far...)(except for the odd mouse that drowns in the WC...).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I agree with RV antifreeze. Good stuff...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I do lots of winterizations here for our snowbirds, and I use an air compressor to blow out the water line by running a cycle until you here the air blowing through. Then I pour in a little rv antifreeze, about a cup or so, then hit the drain cycle. Never lost one yet.
    Rick
    ZmanHVACNUT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    All good ideas all. @Jamie Hall , I know, the thought of not having a dishwasher! Can't imagine such an injustice. I don't know who's driving this either the women are spoiled or maybe they make the men wash the dishes while at camp!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    The women? The men?? The KIDS should be warshing the dishes!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    RV Anti Freeze

Remove the water inlet valve and store in a warm place. Or replace every year!
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    pecmsg said:

RV Anti Freeze

Remove the water inlet valve and store in a warm place. Or replace every year!</blockquote

Not if you use an air compressor and blow it out. I don’t take anything apart.
    Rick

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    I’ve tried that. After 2 tries I pull the valve.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    pecmsg said:

I do not know from personal experience, but I've had multiple plumbers tell me whenever they see "WINTERIZED" signs in a house (Foreclosure etc) it usually means you'll be doing a lot of replacing.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulZmanSuperTech
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

pecmsg said:

I do not know from personal experience, but I've had multiple plumbers tell me whenever they see "WINTERIZED" signs in a house (Foreclosure etc) it usually means you'll be doing a lot of replacing.
    That's because it's being done -- particularly for a foreclosure -- on the cheap. And we all know where that goes...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Cheap....get er done!
    But sometimes stupid applies also; kid remodeling forever on his dream house, drain all the lines and water heater but did not even flush the WC let alone antifreeze it. Tank and bowl split. Also did not open the shower valve during drain down......the shower riser split.
  • rick in Alaska
    Options
    I have done hundreds of winterizations and have only had two issues, and that was because of me getting in a rush. If you hook up an air compressor at the water input to the house and run 60 psi air pressure, open up each faucet until there is no more water coming out, and do it twice, there is no way you will freeze anything. Unless, someone puts in a toilet tempering valve which has plugged up on one side, or there is a hidden dead end pipe.
    Rick
    ethicalpaul