Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brookline MA, No oil or Natural gas For New Construction

Options

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    @ethicalpaul -- yes, Brookline is all about new construction and gut renos. Do you know the saying about the camel's nose under the tent wall? It's soon followed by the whole camel...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options

@ethicalpaul -- yes, Brookline is all about new construction and gut renos. Do you know the saying about the camel's nose under the tent wall? It's soon followed by the whole camel...

Sure.
    Unless the camel doesn't like what he smells.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulrick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Some places do not allow homeowners to do their own work. I believe the entire state of MA is one of them.

Now that's something I'd complain about!

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    There are two ways I see that the general public will look at switching a fuel source.

1. Artificially lowering the cost to install/operate an alternative heat source.

2. The cost of the conventional fuel skyrockets and resourceful people find alternative fuel more attractive.

The latter could be done by leveraging a tax on the "cheap and dirty" fuel which is currently available.

Or by simply banning the current fuel's use.

Not sure how I feel about any of this.....
    Glad I live and work where I do.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Whichever way you do it, @Solid_Fuel_Man , somebody is going to pay -- a lot. Will it all go on the taxpayer? Will it all be pushed off on the property owner? Good question. But someone is going to pay.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    @ethicalpaul I live in Brookline and @Jamie Hall is on the right track, they make incremental changes that are for the "greater good" or "doesn't conform the the new Code standards". It won't be long until we cannot get a building permit to replace one of our boilers unless it meets some level of efficiency that can't be achieved by steam.

The problem is we are a community that operates based on "Town Meetings" , which are poorly publicized and held at times that most people are at work. Sound familiar, maybe election day shouldn't be on a Tuesday.
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    @ethicalpaul, you referenced the grid being able to handle the demand as there is limited growth in your area, in Brookline we also have a tremendous amount of new construction/gut rehab. The trend is to tear down existing homes and build McMansions, as for complexes there are 4 going up within 4 miles of me we 100plus apartment each. We are looking to build a new elementary school because we can not handle the amount of families moving into the area and had to add a second campus to the high school to accommodate the number of students. We are the first town out of Boston, which is also going through a huge population growth.

We also just shut down 2 major power plants. There are only so many solar and wind farms that can be set up to off set the loss. This is New England so solar is less reliable in the winter do to weather so provides less power when it is most needed. Since we are an urban area geothermal is not an option for most of our housing stock. We do have a large percentage of flat roofs but many are covered by roof decks with deeded rights to the space so the associations can not add solar panels.

The politicians are scrambling to find a way to meet our current power needs, we have brown outs now in the summer, with added housing stock on electric it will get worse.

Long story short @ethicalpaul , our grid barely supports what we have now, adding to it will only compound the problem. I would also point out that the electrical grid is largely powered by fossil fuel so I don't see how forcing people to use electric heat solves an environmental issue, it just transfers where it is generated.
    ethicalpaul
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    I think we should be looking to expand our nuclear generating capacity but put it under the control of the Navy. Somehow, a large percentage of the fleet has been able to operate under nuclear power without incident since the 1950's . That can't be said for our current privately owned nuclear power industry.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    @gfrbrookline -- thank you so much for chiming in! You and I are on much the same page -- the only real difference being that I am in a rural area and so see the developing catastrophe from a distance, while you have to live there. I can't disagree with one single thing you say.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    edited November 2019
    Options

@ethicalpaul, you referenced the grid being able to handle the demand as there is limited growth in your area, in Brookline we also have a tremendous amount of new construction/gut rehab. The trend is to tear down existing homes and build McMansions, as for complexes there are 4 going up within 4 miles of me we 100plus apartment each. We are looking to build a new elementary school because we can not handle the amount of families moving into the area and had to add a second campus to the high school to accommodate the number of students. We are the first town out of Boston, which is also going through a huge population growth.

If something slows down gut rehabs and tear downs -> McMansions I won't shed any tears.

If new construction has to look at something much more efficient like ground source heat pumps (which is really an indirect form of solar heating), I think that'd be great too. I put in a ground source heat pump with a vertical well at my old house in CT (NG wasn't available unless I ran it there) and I'm middle class (to Jamie's point about someone having to pay)

As for the complexes, I think the new regulation did not apply to large buildings.

And look, if it falls on its face, then people will stop passing these things. But the only way to have better things is to force them sometimes.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    I have no problem with pushing for change, @ethicalpaul -- provided those doing the pushing pay attention to the real people and the real environment rather than just their own enthusiasms. And are obliged to share any burdens -- such as not being able to pay for something (you are fortunate, perhaps; we are not, nor are many people) which they are being forced to do. There are too many examples of people with no voice having things thrust upon them in the name of progress -- particularly "green" energy -- which they don't want, don't need, and can't take part in. A wind farm for the Town of Williamstown -- out of site, out of mind, in Hancock, which didn't want it, put there by eminent domain. Whole villages of Native Americans displaced with nowhere to go in Quebec and Labrador for dams for hydro power for New England's cities. A Town in Vermont -- and another in Connecticut -- impoverished when their power plants were forced to shut down.

I am not attacking you at all -- you walked the walk, and had the means to do so. But what would you tell my parishioners in Pine Meadow, who get by on 2500 square foot lots, ingenuity, grit... and food stamps and food banks? Or my parishioner Beth, widowed, two children, keeping her farm going by herself, but only just? Or a family of colour in a third floor walkup in Bridgeport? A gut reno would be lovely -- and would put them out on the street.

Sorry... I get carried away sometimes.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Br. Jamie, osb
    ethicalpaulttekushan_3
  • ethicalpaul
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Your posts are always welcome to me @Jamie Hall !

Your parishioners are fine. This regulation is only for new construction or gut renos. I am not advocating for gut renos...I don't care for them. So much waste and disposal.

I too would be opposed to such a change being forced on existing homes.

PS: I am very much in agreement with the concerns you addressed in your first paragraph above.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I can't figure out how to share this other than to mention Drake Landing Solar Community. This is interesting for new developments
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    Drake Landing Solar Community: https://www.dlsc.ca
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    That is nice if you have open space but Brookline is an urban extension of Boston. We don't have space for a solar farm behind the building. We are a community of brick row houses and apartment/condo buildings that go from the sidewalk to the ally. Many of these buildings are being gut rehabbed because they are 100 years old and need it. If they have to be heated with eclectic heat the cost will be substantial as our electricity cost is very high. Our electricity is also generated from fossil fuel so I really don't see the benefit.

I am all for lowering our carbon foot print but it needs to be done practically.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Amen, brother @gfrbrookline . One of the biggest problems -- if not the biggest -- of the whole "let's go green and renewable" enthusiasm is that the folks beating the drums have simply no concept at all of what is involved, either in urban areas like Brookline or Roxbury (or Manhattan!) or in rural areas. Nor do they have any appreciation for the economics of the whole adventure -- again, either in urban areas or rural areas. No fault of theirs, really -- they've never lived in either one.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    The key to electric heating is to move the heat rather than generate it. This would be ground source and/or air source heat pumps. But that was said earlier in the thread :)
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

The key to electric heating is to move the heat rather than generate it. This would be ground source and/or air source heat pumps. But that was said earlier in the thread :)

Oh quite true. Just for laughs, and I know we don't put prices on the Wall, could someone PM me with the cost of retrofitting Cedric's main home with either a ground source or air source heat pump system (there's plenty of land). I'd really be curious.

Particulars: design low outside temperature -10 F
    Total heat loss at design: 330,000 BTUh
    Area heated: 7,000 square feet
    Existing system: vapour steam
    No existing ductwork present
    Constraint: National Register Property interior finishes must be kept intact or repaired in kind. No visible duct work permitted (Unico type high velocity might be acceptable, if no draughts).
    Power available: 200 amp single phase 240/120.

What else do you need to know for a ballpark guess?
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    If your building, like most in Brookline, takes up 95 percent of your plot you can't do geothermal and if the roofs are the property of the penthouse owners where are you supposed to put the heat pumps? Are we supposed to hang them on the exterior of the building? That looks so nice on a period building. :)
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    As for new or gut rehabs, there 7 gut rehabs going on right now within 5 blocks of me. All but one single family row houses that have sold in the last 6 months are being turned into condos.

Like I said before I think we need to move to renewable energy sources but in Brookline's case we are putting the cart ahead of the horse. We need to green the grid first. That being said my favorite view on earth, Brenton Point in Newport, RI, has been sullied by the Block Island Sound Wind Farm. I totally get why Ted Kennedy opposed Cape Wind so strongly, imagine putting a solar farm in Yellowstone.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Reality is such a bore... I know the view you mean.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    Agreed Rev. @Jamie Hall
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    Perhaps instead of paying farmers not to grow crops in the Midwest to artificially inflate the cost of produce as the government has done historically the land could better be used for solar farms to green the grid. Plenty of wide open flat land and tons of sun without the corrosion of salt water that has been a problem with the wind farms in the North Sea in Europe.

With a solar farm you also don't run into issues of migrating birds, we already killed off the buffalo so we don't have to worry about impacting their herds, no sense in killing off another species.

Just a thought.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hello, I think there is another factor to mention that I haven't seen here yet. That's the health effects of burning gas indoors. From this report: https://heetma.org/gas-cooking-and-asthma/ "The analysis showed that children living in a home with a gas cooking stove have a 42% increased risk of current asthma (95% confidence interval [CI] 1.23, 1.64), and a 24% increased lifetime risk of asthma". So, to me, this discussion needs to be bigger than just energy, and include health. Asthma costs a bit over 50 billion dollars a year in the US. I'd rather spend that money on improving buildings and infrastructure. More to think about o:)

Yours, Larry
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    I am guessing that based on the grid most of the homes that cook with gas are located in urban areas and are subject to other environmental impacts. Ever drive behind a bus? They probably spew out more pollution in a block than a gas stove does in a year. Perhaps that is causing the asthma. Just a thought. :)
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hi, No doubt there are many contributing factors. Pollutant levels measured indoors however can far exceed what would be considered actionable levels if they were outdoors. Seems there aren't laws about how polluted indoor air can be. Good sense should be enough, but ... Tomorrow would be a great day to measure some pollutants indoors! :p

Yours, Larry
  • gfrbrookline
    Options
    The flaw with measuring indoor air quality is doors and windows open and close on a regular basis. Outside air enters the system and mingles. Highly doubt the study was preformed on people living in a bubble vs. living normal lives, there is no real control so not a valid study of the facts. Something to be considered.

Agreed indoor pollution levels can be higher than actionable levels and owners should attend to leaks and provide adequate venting. That is on a micro level.

Banning fossil fuels is not the answer, at least not until the grid has a viable alternative.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    A trend that I've noticed in what I'll call 'post modern thought' is that the intended results are the only conceivable results; unintended consequences are an impossibility, ignored if possible & denied if not. If you look at any of current crop of environmental restrictions with this in mind, everything makes a lot more sense.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    This is entirely true the way I see it.

My mother has Asthma, all electric home. Parents smoked.

My Dad does not have asthma, gas stove, rural farm. Father (Gramp) smoked a pipe, burned wood in two stoves simultaneously.

I do not have asthma, gas cooktop, electric oven. Parents did not smoke. Burned wood indoor boiler, and occasionally fireplace.

My kids dont have asthma, gas stove, neither of us smoke, burn wood indoor boiler.

My wife does not have asthma, rural farm with lots of work indoors with kerosene heaters and propane forklifts from the 60s.
  • Steve_Wheels
    Steve_Wheels Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Brookline is just one town. California has a law on the books that there will be NO fossil fuels being burnt in any house in the state by the year 2050. Currently there is a ban on natural gas hookups in NY City and Long Island. This is just going to get worse. The environmentalists both get pipelines banned and then complain that they cant get natural gas. SMH
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Wind and solar.....would they ever do ROI without tax credits?
    Who is paying that then?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    It's all cost relitive. If fossil fuels double in price alternatives look good!

Solar only works during the day, most heating demand is at night.

Electric car charging will be most likely all at night.

There will need to be generation at night, wind is sparatic. We need hydro/nuke/fossil fuels/biomass to pick up the slack.

That is how electrification goes, we are all connected together, and most of our usage patterns are remarkably similar.
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,835
    Options

Hello, I think there is another factor to mention that I haven't seen here yet. That's the health effects of burning gas indoors. From this report: https://heetma.org/gas-cooking-and-asthma/ "The analysis showed that children living in a home with a gas cooking stove have a 42% increased risk of current asthma (95% confidence interval [CI] 1.23, 1.64), and a 24% increased lifetime risk of asthma". So, to me, this discussion needs to be bigger than just energy, and include health. Asthma costs a bit over 50 billion dollars a year in the US. I'd rather spend that money on improving buildings and infrastructure. More to think about o:)

Yours, Larry

Each time this is mentioned, I ask if the stoves in question were tested for proper and safe combustion.

I have yet to receive an answer.

Given the high CO that I've seen when testing some of these stoves, I'd bet their burners were dangerously out of adjustment. But if you don't test, you don't know.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
    Consulting
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hi @Steamhead , To my understanding, much of the data comes from Lawrence Berkeley National Labs, where they just measure what they find. I don't think they adjust anything. No doubt the stoves they have measured could be made to perform better with the right technician who has the right equipment. For years, I've been trying to get folks to actually use their range hoods, and even that's an uphill battle. It's sorta like the ongoing discussion on unvented space heaters.
    Years ago in the water heating world we had ungrounded electric tap heaters, which the manufacturers claimed were "safe in the hands of intelligent, able-bodied adults". Only problem was children being electrocuted by them. It's hard to design equipment that can't be mis-used.

Yours, Larry
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    I've still been in some basements with a propane water heater in the corner with absolutely no flue connection. Just standing there away from anything. Sometimes you'll get a nice piece of sheetmetal affixed the the bottom of the floor joists above it for "protection".
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    > @Steve_Wheels said:
    > Brookline is just one town. California has a law on the books that there will be NO fossil fuels being burnt in any house in the state by the year 2050. Currently there is a ban on natural gas hookups in NY City and Long Island. This is just going to get worse. The environmentalists both get pipelines banned and then complain that they cant get natural gas. SMH

The ban in NYC and LI is due to capacity issues not being green!
    ethicalpaulSolid_Fuel_Man
  • ethicalpaul
    edited November 2019
    Options
    > @gfrbrookline said:
    > If your building, like most in Brookline, takes up 95 percent of your plot you can't do geothermal and if the roofs are the property of the penthouse owners where are you supposed to put the heat pumps? Are we supposed to hang them on the exterior of the building? That looks so nice on a period building. :)

Mine was vertical well, it was under my driveway. No real estate required. The water to air heat pump for it sat right where the oil furnace was previously in the basement.

Plus this regulation doesn’t apply to buildings, just homes. With respect you guys keep building straw men.
    IcarusKC_Jones
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    No, I beg to differ. The objections which I have put forward -- mostly economic -- are not strawmen. They are all too real. They are also largely invisible to many of most influential people.

So I will restate them, quite simply: where is the money going to come from to do all these wonderful things for the people in urban centres -- not the ones on Beacon Hill or the Upper West Side or Silicon Valley, but the ordinary Joe and Jill? Where will the money come from to upgrade the electrical grid so someone in a rural village -- never mind a farm -- can have enough reliable electricity? Where will the money come from to build the generating capacity (I don't care what kind)?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    ratiottekushan_3
  • oreo123
    oreo123 Member Posts: 48
    Options

If this were electric heat its expensive in the surrounding cities. Like 21 cents per kilo. Here is a spreadsheet that I just made.
    eversource kw $ per kilo
    waltham 66 21.31 0.32
    125 33.42 0.26
    somerville 287 69.23 0.24
    351 74.97 0.21
    40 10.77
    Mass building code requires a min temp of 68 degrees in all rooms during the daytime. Night time is 64 degrees.
    If one does a heat pump wouldn't the code require heat in all rooms including the bathroom and kitchen? More rooms = more inside units. More inside units will require more outside units. This is not going to be cheap for the installation. And then the real estate view if they are heat sourced over ground sourced(very little land to drill down). The people I know with electric baseboard complain about how expensive that is.
    For the additional power its service changes, more transformers in the neighborhood, more lines, more power generation stations. Right now I think that the majority of electricity generation is from fossil fuel with Seabrook being the only non fossil fuel plant om the state. Surely Brookline is not going to allow windmills on roofs if solar is not allowed.
    The only way around it is free electricity. Looking at a small bill from a neighboring city, the bill is split showing distribution and generation. Distribution is more costly than the generation. Looking at a recent small bill shows supply $33 and distribution $41. Nothing goes down in price :-(
    Has anyone recently done a comparison of heating sources for say 100k btus output? One that compares oil and nat gas and electricity and a heat pump? One that allows the user to input their cost for the electricity per kilowatt. Too often I read that electricity is 10 cents per kilo. That is not the case around here according to the bills above. If someone has a Brookline elect bill please post the kilowatts and supply and generation costs.
    I am not pro or con. I question where the funding and additional power is going to come from.
  • Icarus
    Icarus Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This is an interesting debate that is going on in cities across N.America in an attempt to address very real CO2 emission issues. In no jurisdiction (that I know of) is anyone suggesting that buildings have to move off their current heating (and cooling) fuel sources. What they are suggesting is that by mandating certain design standards (like high performance building envelopes) the buildings in the future will have smaller, more manageable heating and cooling loads. Then by mandating that all future buildings NOT have fuel burning sources, but rather demonstrably more efficient heating sources (like basic to cold climate, to geothermal, even to municipal waste heat capturing heat pumps with COPs way above 3 seasonally, these smaller heating loads can easily b e covered by the current grid, most especially if more and more of that grid is fueled by renewables.

My city is working on a plan to do just this, but is going one step further in suggesting that all new construction have PV solar built in from day one, to the capacity of the size of the roof, and ideally sized to carry the expected load of the house. This way, the grid has in place the additional capacity needed to crafty the additional load. The idea of course is to reduce the net/net CO2 foot print of buildings over time.

Contrary to pubic perception, the price of installed PV solar has fallen through the floor. When I first started installing small off grid solar installations, we were paying ~$100/watt for the raw panels. Now, raw panels, retail can be had for $.27, with a complete, soup to nuts installation for under $2/watt. If that install is done in conjunction with new construction, the cost can drop to ~$1.50/watt. Typical 2000 sq ft house might “want” 5-10kw of PV depending on exposure, a new construction “add on” of $7,500 to $15,000 exclusive of any tax incentives. An addition that is less costly than Granite counter tops, but reduces the energy bill by nearly 100% if well designed.

This, is the wave of the future, and if you look at the weeds, you will realize that it is a no brainer.

As a side note, even though our city is only in the talking stage of a plan for 2030-2050, nearly every door knob in town got a hang tag full of misinformation about “how this was going to impact this/impact that”, how ever house was going to have to get rid of it’s current gas ranges and cook tops, how every one would have to upgrade their foundations to support solar panels (huh???) and guess who paid for the misinformation tags? The local Nat gas supplier, the local electric utility, three local oil refineries. Sometimes it pays to read the fine print.

Icarus

PS. As many of you here know, the sweet spot for low temp emitters, ideally infloor radiant heat is right in the breadbasket of air to water heat pumps...under ~110f. Once again installation cost in new construction is not much of an add on.