Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MegaPress fittings on condensate return

Options
Good Morning we are just about to start a large condensate/ boiler install project 8000 feet of pipe will be replaced, two vintage heat exchangers replaced with Lochinvare crest boilers. The contractor has just informed us that the MegaPress fittings will not work and we need to use stainless steel fittings instead. The vender is concerned about the condensate being too corrosive. Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Was the original piping that lasted all these years black steel? Or was it wrought iron?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• petewarfield84
    petewarfield84 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    It was schedule 80 steel for the most part
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    I don’t see an issue with mega press but Monday call them. They’ll give you the documents needed. The

Condensate Too Corrosive?
    Tell him if that’s true is the boiler Stainless Steel?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options

Then wouldn't the same still work?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options

Then wouldn't the same still work?
    But @gerry gill -- that's so old fashioned! >:)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,947
    Options
    There should not be a issue.
    Is the contractor suggesting that you use Stainless steel mega press? As opposed to the originally specified press fittings?
    I would get some documentation from the manufacturer about this.
    Is everything else that comes in contact with the condensate also going to be changed to stainless?
  • petewarfield84
    Options
    I think the vendor is concerned with the o rings and what effects the boiler chemicals will do to them.
    Intplm.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The Lochinvar Crest is a modulating condensing boiler. The 8000’ of piping you’re referring to must be distribution piping. The flue gas condensation is acidic and with that size of boiler, there will be plenty of it. I’d be concerned about press fittings too. Why not schedule 80 PVC?
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Assuming this is a typical closed hot water heating system, there’s no reason that copper ProPress couldn’t be used for the distribution piping unless it’s against code in your area.
    Steve Minnich
    Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    I must be missing something. Condensate from what? The Lochinvar flue gas condensate drain? Use plastic for that.

If your talking about a steam system you will go broke using stainless steel
    Intplm.
  • Tinman
    Options
    Lochinvar Crest is not a steam boiler.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options

Lochinvar Crest is not a steam boiler.

Fair enough --and stupid me. I assumed wrongly that when the OP was speaking about condensate return, that was what was meant.

If it is combustion condensate -- which may be what was meant -- it should be PVC, as @EBEBRATT-Ed said. If it's boiler water, like recirculation from hot water, and it's sufficiently corrosive to pose a problem to the fittings, they have a boiler water treatment problem. However, if it is a concern about chemicals in the treated water, that could be a problem with the O-rings -- but that's not something which stainless steel would fix.

So now I'm confused...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Jamie Hall So now I'm confused...

Glad it's not just me!
  • Tinman
    Options
    I was too until I reread the original post and realized the OP is confused.
    Steve Minnich
    petewarfield84
  • petewarfield84
    Options
    Sorry
    Steve if you misunderstood so I’ll be clearer. There are two systems here .
    1. Original bld.1950’s steam system 8000 ft of condensate to be replaced the feed lines all tested good. Venders says the corrosive return H20 will effect MegaPress fittings. *There are 3 separate Smith boilers feeding this system.
    2. Second system - Addition 2 Heat exchangers to be replaced with 3 Lochinvare Forced Hot Water boilers. That pipe is all copper and not being replaced all tested good. The flue’s will be stainless steel and that condensate will be treated to Lochinvare spec.(not an issue)
    Back to my Question “ can MegaPress fittings be used on the 8000 ft run of schedule 80 Steam returns?..
    I have sent Manufacturer a message and asked this question but have not heard back yet,
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Yes @petewarfield84, they can. The condensate return for the steam system shouldn’t be acidity really. If it is for whatever reason, the water should be treated.
    Ironmankcopp
  • Tinman
    Options

Sorry
    Steve if you misunderstood so I’ll be clearer. There are two systems here .
    1. Original bld.1950’s steam system 8000 ft of condensate to be replaced the feed lines all tested good. Venders says the corrosive return H20 will effect MegaPress fittings. *There are 3 separate Smith boilers feeding this system.
    2. Second system - Addition 2 Heat exchangers to be replaced with 3 Lochinvare Forced Hot Water boilers. That pipe is all copper and not being replaced all tested good. The flue’s will be stainless steel and that condensate will be treated to Lochinvare spec.(not an issue)
    Back to my Question “ can MegaPress fittings be used on the 8000 ft run of schedule 80 Steam returns?..
    I have sent Manufacturer a message and asked this question but have not heard back yet,

You can disagree but this post is far different from your first post so the use of quotation marks really doesn't work.

Yes, as mentioned above, MegaPress should be fine.
    Steve Minnich
    Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @petewarfield84

Here's my take. Chop into a 100 year old system and what do you find? Basically the old Cast Iron fittings last forever they don't really rot. The steel or wrought iron pipe is what rots.

Megapress fittings are steel so they will rot the same as the pipe eventually.

If it was me it would be threaded CI fittings and schedule 80 pipe.

Depends on how much make-up water is added and the water treatment. I have seen schedule 40 condensate lines last a long time as well.

So the real question is, how old is the stuff your replacing? And what was the old material. That will give you an indication
  • petewarfield84
    Options
    EBERATT, thank you for your response, ideally yes I agree with your choice of fittings and connection. Contractor is choosing a real aggressive approach 3 months for all work to be done, most work is in crawl space/ basement locations some places it’s 3 ft high.
    I spent 30 plus years dragging 4 ft pipe wrenches through these locations so I get that it’s not easy.
    During the design phase I thought that this project would take a year plus . The Mega Press is ideal for these locations and aggressive time frame ,my hope is Apollo will agree with most of you and say their product will work.
    Thank you all for your input.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @petewarfield84

Megapress is approved for low pressure steam and condensate so of course they (Viega) will say it's ok to use , and it is.

May not be the best choice or the most long lasting in my opinion

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Use a condensate neutralizer.
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    Options
    It’s lasted since 1950, and they want to try something different? As Dan says,” you can have it cheap, good, and fast.....pick two”!