Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini Split Condensate Down Roof

NJHomeowner
NJHomeowner Member Posts: 66
We had multiple Mitsubishi mini split units installed last year. One unit in a bedroom has a pump which we have had multiple issues with. Contractor offered to rerun the condensate down the roof between the two windows on right and connect the condensate into the gutter. Line hide would attach to house and gutter (not roof) but sit on it.

Does anyone see any issues with this approach?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    The only potentially serious issue I can see is snow. More exactly, snow sliding off the roof and taking the line with it. If that's not a problem... should be OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • NJHomeowner
    Thanks. I am in the northeast so snow is an issue.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @Mschuh2581

maybe I am think of this wrong but if your coming out of the second story drop a pipe 2" above the roof. Why do you need to pipe it to the gutter?
  • NJHomeowner
    They said if it drips onto the roof will discolor it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

There's no chemicals in that condensate so I don't see how that can happen!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    pecmsg said:

Moss/algae. It would happen.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ratioCanucker
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited May 2019
    If I'm understanding correctly, the drain will terminate approximately inline with the chimney, between the windows? The discharge pipe can't be terminated in the upper gutter?
    Is there a reason the drain can't follow the path of the refrigerant lines?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561

And freezing.....
    Is the unit located in an unheated attic?
    Why does the pump keep failing?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    Zman said:

And freezing.....
    Is the unit located in an unheated attic?
    Why does the pump keep failing?
    Not much condensate generated with below freezing temps.
  • NJHomeowner
    Zman - Mini split is in a bedroom. The pump is in attic above, is a sauermann si 30. When I reached out to the manufacturer they informed me the pump should not have been installed in an unconditioned space which is where it is.

HVACNUT - it would come out of the home between the two windows and then go to the lower gutter. Unit is located on the second level. It follows the same path now but to keep that I'd have to have another pump installed, which we now would like to avoid being that the mini split is in a bedroom. It's the only unit we had installed not on an exterior wall since there was no option to do so.
  • pecmsg

pecmsg said:

If on the North side it is possible but I see a lot of Sun on that roof!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Ph is around 5- 6 I believe. That could have some effect on roofing materials, certainly galvanized metal :)

An older post here suggested adding a neutralizer on the condensate drain as you would a mod con boiler.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695

pecmsg said:

It may very well happen. But no one is concerned about discoloration from the two downspouts weirdly dumping onto the roof?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    @Mschuh2581 , A thought. Why not extend the down spout that is already pictured on the left to the horizontal gutter just below. Then pipe the drain into that? Could solve all of your concerns.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I always followed the ref. lines for the drain. It’s tight when you get down to the eave but was always able to get it done.
    Steve Minnich
  • NJHomeowner
    As an update, install guy was just here. He said running pipe down to gutter would look horrible and I should just have it drip onto the roof. Said condensate from Mitsubishi mini split will not cause discoloring. If it was a central hvac unit dripping it would.

Anyone think it’s a mistake taking this approach?

I brought up connecting to the downspout on right and he said I don’t have the pitch to do it. As for the comment on the gutter draining onto the roof I need to redo my gutters in the next year or so, so when I do this I will then have them connect to the lower gutter...
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Connecting to the gutter or downspout pictured at the left hand or right hand side, with some imagination, would not look horrible. You seem to have plenty of pitch and plenty of space to pipe "with" proper pitch.
    Your installer seems to lack imagination.
    This could look good and function properly without concern of staining the roof and possibly making things look worse.
    I would get a second opinion.
  • NJHomeowner
    I could always have him then just drain it on roof and then in a year or so when I replace the gutters get it connected...no?
  • Intplm.
    You could. You will see a line of water streaking down the roof.
    That should be ok as mentioned.