Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best spot for a steam radiator in a small room

branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
I'm renovating a building and I need to choose a spot for a radiator in small room. The most important thing is the radiator doesn't affect furniture place / usability of the room.

It has to go along the wall with the windows.

Options are:
1. under the window b/c people typically don't put furniture in front of the window.
2. In the weird angled corner
3. In the 90 degree corner.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Mercy. That's not a room, that's a closet. From the standpoint of heating the room, it really won't matter -- radiators circulate warm air (naturally) pretty well. From the standpoint of using the room, though... although option 1 is conventional, I think it's problematic, as that is where someone will have to walk to get into the corner. On the whole, I think I'd go for option 2, and put some sort of clever set of shelves over it, starting about a foot above it....
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    branimal
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    That room isn’t even 100 sqft, are you sure it legal?
    branimal
  • branimal
    yeah its legal. 7 feet in a building with 3 or more bedrooms is legal. The other bedrooms are standard size.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    The only place left for someone to put a typical dresser is in front of the window so option 2 is really the only option, by the numbers.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    branimal
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    What’s the heat loss of the room? Could you go with option 2 and use a riser right in that corner as your source of radiation?
    branimal
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Steam or hot water? If steam a small wall mount single section might work well. If hot water, they make some really small panel radiators. I agree, option 2 would be best. Maybe a shorter shingle tube or column radiator like those used for bathrooms.
    branimal
  • branimal
    Thanks guys.

Danny - good idea on the riser. The pipe coming up is 1". I'll google heat loss calc and get back.

Mike - it's single pipe steam system.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    How do you plan on controlling the heat in that closet?
    Only 2 outside walls, well insulated there wont be much heat loss, any calculations on the total BTU's required?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    You need to do the heat loss on all the rooms. I’ve read some of your other posts and this is like a new system with all the work being done. Room by room heat loss, size the radiation accordingly.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Since we're all critiquing the room, I'd have the door swing against the wall, not into the room.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_JonesethicalpaulTinman
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    There was a post here where the guy made his own radiator in the bathroom, very small.

Maybe the microtube system
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2019
    Any chance for a small piece of cast iron baseboard, properly sized and pitched?
    steve
    Tinman
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    4. mount on ceiling 5. recess into wall 6. install in floor box between joists.