Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrician gouged heating pipe - Should I be concerned?

Had an electrician round to fit an extra socket in a bedroom this morning, we have the carpet up so he routed it under the chipboard floor, but looks like he slipped with his hole saw at some point as there's a clear gouge on the 15mm pipe to the radiator.

The heating (pressurised to 1.5 bar) is on and there are no leaks, so it's not gone all the way through.

From these photos should I be concerned and ask him to arrange a plumber to come and apply a fix? Or is it no cause for concern?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I don't see anything to be concerned with.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    If it was my place I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I've seen a lot worse... not to worry, I think.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    If you're really concerned, clean the sharp edges and put a Rothenberger repair clamp over it.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SeanBeans
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    edited April 2019
    The joist should NOT have been notched like that to install the hydronic lines. They are now only as strong as the depth remaining after the notch.

They should also have nail plates protecting the pipes.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Judging by the first picture the length of that scar it looks fairly deep to me.

I would leave it as is and document it with the electrician and show him pictures keep copies
  • jcwacky
    jcwacky Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all, that's extremely helpful!

I'll take on board all your comments and leave as is but look to ensure it's documented with the electrician.

I'm about to ply over the floor in preparation for LVT flooring, so may even add a Rothenberger as a backup (I know they're just meant to be temporary).

@Ironman That's Wimpy in 1998 for you!