Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The things I see

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Well that takes care of that.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,970
    Options
    Ok. I was wondering what happened to that screw driver. Or was it the nut driver, or wood chisel that you borrowed? Give them back !🙂
    TinmanIronman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    At least you know where the hole is…
    Tinman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Brings back memories.

First year in the business I worked for an oil company. So they had me out doing tune ups. I was working on an old H B Smith 24 the ones with the cast Iron headers on the supply and both return drums headers.

. One of the return drums had a 1" gate valve and when I opened the valve it broke right off at the nipple. I haden't even put normal hand pressure on it. All the water gushed out and flooded the basement. I9 year old kid I didn't have a clue. Friday afternoon in the summer and this apartment (4 family) used it for DHW.

Nipple was broke off inside a 2 x 1 bushing.

So I got a screwdriver and a rag and pounded it in their as tight as I could. Filled the boiler and tested the LWCO about 10 times and left.

Monday my boss sent someone over to make the repair. I asked him after the fact and he said I did good job. "the rag was as dry as a bone, not a drop of water on the floor"
  • Tinman
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed - Apparently this one has been running with the screwdriver plug for a while. You’d think the plastic handle would have deformed a little.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    It's to induce turbulent flow conditions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Jellisdelta TCLamb
  • RonnieJ
    RonnieJ Member Posts: 46
    Options
    This reminds me... Early in my career I was a computer repair tech - I worked on word processors - this was a few years before the IBM PC was released. The typical workstation had a five-slot card cage - with three, closely-spaced boards in it. You could buy a new Corvette for less than the price of a word processor and printer combo.

Every year, we would perform preventative maintenance for our contract customers - clean and align the daisy wheel printer, clean the keyboards and pull the rear cover to check the fan and reseat the circuit boards. The covers had two large Philips-head screws that were notoriously difficult to get out. Many a time the screw-head would strip. I had the perfect driver that worked really well on these stubborn screws.

At some point, I lost my favorite driver - couldn't find it anywhere. Nor could I find a replacement that worked as well. I looked everywhere I went, knowing I left it on a job somewhere.
    Eventually, I quit looking.

A year or so later, I had to drive out to the farthest reaches of my territory to perform p.m. at this real-estate firm. I opened the cover on the first machine, and there was my trusty screwdriver, sitting precariously between two circuit boards. I must have dropped it, got distracted, and used another driver to reinstall the cover screws.

I was overjoyed - I had found my driver, and avoided the embarrassment of another tech discovering my mistake. I was really lucky that nobody tried moving that machine or bumped it with the power on - it could have shorted out the card cage and wreaked havoc.

After that experience, I learned to always put my tools, keys, and wallet in the same place - so I would notice anything missing before leaving a work site. Somehow though, I'm still looking for a few missing tools.

R.
    Energy Kinetics EK, Goodman GSXC72400, SpacePak ESP 2430J
    ZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @RonnieJ

Drop ceilings are always a favorite. Dark up their you leave a pair of pliers or something up their. Get down off the ladder put the tile back move to another spot to work. If you find later you lost something you don't know where it went.

Flip side....I have found plenty of replacement tools in ceilings
    ratioZmanGroundUp
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Great story, @RonnieJ !! I was a copier tech when I was a young man in the 90s and we all had situations just like that, amazing the stuff that happens in those service professions.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I found a nice Fluke meter sitting on an outdoor unit next to a generator I was fueling by a radio tower. It was probably there for a week or so (we had no rain and it wasn't water damaged) But it was just about to start a torrential downpour, and with no place for protection I took it. I slipped a note inside the unit with my name/phone # to call.
    I called every person/company related to that site and no one claimed it or said they lost it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEVEusaPA
    Options
    RonnieJ said:

This reminds me... Early in my career I was a computer repair tech - I worked on word processors - this was a few years before the IBM PC was released. The typical workstation had a five-slot card cage - with three, closely-spaced boards in it. You could buy a new Corvette for less than the price of a word processor and printer combo.

Every year, we would perform preventative maintenance for our contract customers - clean and align the daisy wheel printer, clean the keyboards and pull the rear cover to check the fan and reseat the circuit boards. The covers had two large Philips-head screws that were notoriously difficult to get out. Many a time the screw-head would strip. I had the perfect driver that worked really well on these stubborn screws.

At some point, I lost my favorite driver - couldn't find it anywhere. Nor could I find a replacement that worked as well. I looked everywhere I went, knowing I left it on a job somewhere.
    Eventually, I quit looking.

A year or so later, I had to drive out to the farthest reaches of my territory to perform p.m. at this real-estate firm. I opened the cover on the first machine, and there was my trusty screwdriver, sitting precariously between two circuit boards. I must have dropped it, got distracted, and used another driver to reinstall the cover screws.

I was overjoyed - I had found my driver, and avoided the embarrassment of another tech discovering my mistake. I was really lucky that nobody tried moving that machine or bumped it with the power on - it could have shorted out the card cage and wreaked havoc.

After that experience, I learned to always put my tools, keys, and wallet in the same place - so I would notice anything missing before leaving a work site. Somehow though, I'm still looking for a few missing tools.

R.

When I do service, especially for oil, I use a tool bucket buddy set-up with everything in it's place. When putting a burner back together, I put every tool back in it's place as I finish each task, even if I will need it again. This way I know I didn't forget anything. There's been a couple times where a wrench or driver wasn't in it's spot, I open the burner back up and forgot to tighten something.
    And like you said, I can look at the inside or outside of the bucket at a glance and know if I left a tool on site before I leave (doesn't mean I know where I left it).

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • RonnieJ
    RonnieJ Member Posts: 46
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA - you get the Ethics Award! I'm not sure where @ethicalpaul got his name, but maybe he wouldn't mind sharing the moniker ;-)
    Energy Kinetics EK, Goodman GSXC72400, SpacePak ESP 2430J
    STEVEusaPAethicalpaul
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    It was an anomaly...jk

ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    @Steve Minnich

How do you see this while playing vinyl in the den?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tinman
    Options
    I make time for both 😎.
    Check out what saw today and at least once a week.
    Brick set Kewanee, originally coal of course, and a lead melting, plug type LWCO.
    Steve Minnich
    RonnieJethicalpaulDave in QCA
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    You guys have experienced the contractors universal tool lend / borrow system that has been in use since the wheel was invented. Anyone can join anytime. Just leave or find something. When you are done in life, leave it all to the next new tech. I personally left a Simpson 260 meter, ouch! but found an amp probe inside a blower in a furnace, a flashlight in the rafters, left a screw driver in an attic, left a few sockets, and a flashlight somewhere. And I almost left a truck in a parking garage, until I realized an identical garage next to it was where I parked! Can't be to careful! Oh and I left my heart in high school but found a new one in college.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    I hate losing ridgid tubing cutters.

And HAND SEAMERS.. I’ve gone thru so many pairs I don’t care to remember :(
    Dan_NJ
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Options
    You guys crack me up, but I love and respect all of you. Oh, and thanks for the tools you left at my house — guess it wasn’t worth a return trip to pick it up after I called and left you a message! Dandy crescent, though...
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    LOL!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Cheer up. At my age, I'm quite capable of putting something down, not moving from the spot, and not be able to find it five minutes later...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Dave in QCA
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited April 2019
    Options

Cheer up. At my age, I'm quite capable of putting something down, not moving from the spot, and not be able to find it five minutes later...

I seem to do that all the time, @Jamie Hall ! When I'm working on a project I put all of my tools in a bucket. If I have anyone helping me, I always say "Put it back in the bucket". That has become my mantra. Whenever any of my friends/family helps me they all now say "Put it in the bucket!" We all laugh and move on.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    "But where did I leave the bucket" :*
    Intplm.CanuckerZman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    I found a really nice 3-AA LED Maglight above a ceiling once, still lit up.

It was mine, I had left it there a week ago. Had no idea it was there!

CLamb
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    @ratio, what did the Maglight say? ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • TattoolGuy
    TattoolGuy Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I love the last picture that Steve left one an old beauty and inefficient monster at the same time. R.i.p.7/7 lol
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I’m smiling at the message on the cardboard sign.
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Walk out to the truck and forget what you went out there for. Walk back into the job and then remember what you needed
    ratioGroundUp
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    This reassuring to hear that I am not the only one to be forgetful!—NBC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    55 years ago I used to fix TV's to make money after school, I can remember finding tools inside console TV's, I paid for that by leaving my tools inside them.

A few years ago a contractor left a 16ft ladder that can be bent into a work platform and it wasn't a cheap one. I called and left a msg TWICE, that ladder now lives in my garage.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    @GroundUp

It was meant to be