Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Volunteer work party for a repiping job

Sailah
Sailah Member Posts: 826
edited December 2018 in Strictly Steam
EDIT::

I have a list of parts. I think a great way to accept donations would be to have a look at the list, choose whatever you want to donate, order from your favorite place (Like FW Webb & SupplyHouse.com!!!!) and then write your name in column B

In order to facilitate ordering, please PM me and I will send you shipping instructions as I'd rather not post that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JWlEJF6p4km0JFVdOS2FEOGV6SCkT9-M62vEoFziR9c/edit?usp=sharing

Thank You!!

I was reading the post from Heating Hell about a bad install

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/167670/another-new-install-mess#latest

Appears the contractor left the homeowner with an unsatisfactory install and repiping is needed, but the budget has been exhausted. I thought it would be a great way to help someone in need, and it being the holidays and all...

Any other NE Wallies be interested in getting together to help @MichelleLe1 out with this? Would be a fun way to meet folks on this site that I've interacted with.

To be clear, I've never piped a boiler in my life and don't feel comfortable taking the lead on this other than to help in other ways. I can donate some Big Mouths to the job and maybe leverage my contacts at some supply houses to procure parts etc at a discount. I'm also willing to get my hands dirty onsite. We'd likely need/want an actual contractor and they are most likely very busy. I don't want to take food off their table either.

We could set up a gofundme account if there's interest to help offset some of this for those not able to directly participate. Seems the greatest need is probably manual labor and I bet we can get that in spades.

Who's in?
Peter Owens
SteamIQ
Ironman

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    If I could afford the travel, I would be right there! Not that I know anything about steam, but it would be fun and I would like to have the knowledge, even if I never used it.
    Hope people step up.
    Rick
    Sailah
  • Sailah
    Thanks @rick in Alaska that would be a rather long commute!

It sounds like we may have a few interested in the other thread. Hoping we can get a few more hands to make light work.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    rick in AlaskaMichelleLe1
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It's 8.5 hours driving time for me, but I'm considering it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SailahMichelleLe1
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    The factory makes piping kits for those boilers, I wonder if they would be interested in making a donation towards this endeavor? That might get complicated, but it’s a thought.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    CLamb
  • Sailah
    edited November 2018
    Thanks KC

I found the boiler piping kit, seems pretty straightforward. There is a Granite Group location pretty close by. I'll have to dig up who I might know there see if they will give some contractor pricing on the hard parts.

EDIT: Just priced everything out in Supplyhouse.com, all in stock, pretty reasonable. Course there will be a lot more need to redo rest of piping but that's pretty straightforward and then we'd essentially assemble a boiler piping kit knowing it would fit. Only thing I couldn't find easily was a 1.5x12.5 nipple.

@ironman Bob if you made it that would be amazing.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MichelleLe1
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    where is the job location?
  • KC_Jones
    Sterling, CT
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I'm not much of a wrench twirler, but I can fetch donuts and coffee and hold up the ends of things... Sterling is about two hours from me, and if the weather is decent I might do it.

When is this planned for?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Dave in QCA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I am 1 1/2 hrs. away, near Springfield, MA

I will be glad to help out if we can schedule it for a Saturday.

2 issues for me are
    1.the week of 12/15 &12/16 I am on call so that's out for me
    2. I will be glad to work for whatever hours I am needed but I don't want to "run" the job.

@Sailah,

I looked and I believe Granite group is in Plainfield which I think is not too far. Maybe you can check their hours and see if they are open on a Saturday. Probably going to need stuff. Looks like several different pipe sizes.

I have a couple of power threaders, dies, wrenches, sawzall band saw etc etc etc

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    One item that should be on Santa's list is the replacement for the "Cycle Guard" that is installed.
    Ironman
  • Sailah
    This is going to be the Heating Help Steam Dream Team! We need @Erin Holohan Haskell to come and do the writeup!

Weekends are tough for me with young kids who play hockey. But i can make arrangements if that's what works for others.

We haven't set a date, waiting to hear from some of the NY gents whom i spoke to.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I'm in for pretty much any day except Sundays. Or blizzards...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Well, I could take a weekday off with a little notice. Will wait to see what date makes sense for others.
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    I'm not a heating guy by any means but I'll lend a hand and also gain knowledge if its held on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • KC_Jones
    If you do a Saturday, I can help with labor and some basic tools.

My only issue is December is booked solid with all the holiday stuff. After the first of the year would be doable.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Sailah

but I can fetch donuts and coffee and hold up the ends of things...

Hey back off that's my job!

I am 1 1/2 hrs. away, near Springfield, MA

I will be glad to help out if we can schedule it for a Saturday.

2 issues for me are
    1.the week of 12/15 &12/16 I am on call so that's out for me
    2. I will be glad to work for whatever hours I am needed but I don't want to "run" the job.

@Sailah,

I looked and I believe Granite group is in Plainfield which I think is not too far. Maybe you can check their hours and see if they are open on a Saturday.

Understood about "running" the job. I'm not a contractor or qualified to make the piping decisions either. Hopefully we have one in the ranks that can do that.

Granite Group is closed on Saturdays, same with FW Webb and that's 30 miles away in RI. There's an Ace hardware in Plainfield that's open Saturdays but they likely have a limited selection esp with some of the bigger stuff.

Based on that might make sense to shoot for a weekday if possible. I work for myself so I'm flexible.

I think if we start getting near end of Dec, there will be a lot of conflicts, esp with weekends.

My week of Dec 10-14th is wide open at this point.

Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • JUGHNE
    In addition to the factory piping kit, it seems that about 6 or 7 3" reducing tees and that many 3" nipples might be needed for this unique job. IMO

I would try to make it but I am 30 hours and 1600 miles away. :)
    BTY with a blizzard pending for the week end.
    MichelleLe1
  • Ironman
    edited November 2018
    IF (big if) I can be involved in this, a Friday and Saturday would be the best scenario. I could drive up on Thursday, work two days, and return on Sunday.

IDK about up north, but down here, 3" black iron fittings and nipples are usually not on the shelf at supply houses.
    Bob Boan
    MichelleLe1
  • epic_stratton
    epic_stratton Member Posts: 18
    Totally unqualified to help on this (as I'm also a newbie to steam heat). I'll wait to see what day folks decide upon and if I'm free I'd be happy to be an extra set of hands.
    MichelleLe1
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    As Peter as mentioned this would most likely need to be done during the week and the one who would be taking the lead its a no brainer all of us would be. Between quality of knowledge of who can make up to this job we’d have to work together and set egos aside to get done, done right and within a timely fashion.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    MichelleLe1
  • JUGHNE
    Supply House looks to have plenty of 3" fittings/nipples.
    Imports about 1/2 price of Ward. If over ordered they can be returned without charge in a reasonable time frame.
  • Sailah
    EzzyT said:

As Peter as mentioned this would most likely need to be done during the week and the one who would be taking the lead its a no brainer all of us would be. Between quality of knowledge of who can make up to this job we’d have to work together and set egos aside to get done, done right and within a timely fashion.

There are probably only a few "real" contractors, the rest of us are probably eager and mechanically inclined to serve as helpers and hammer holders. Sure plenty of collective knowledge and I don't think egos would come into play. I'd look forward to helping and meeting a bunch of fellow steam folks.

But probably makes sense to have a pro take the lead on direction and everyone else who isn't a pro just cheerily does what they are told.

In the meantime I think it would also be helpful to come up with a shopping list of likely needed parts way ahead of time. We can find a stick of 3/4" pipe anywhere but a 3" x 11" nipple is going to be much harder to find. Course if we do this on a weekday, Granite Group has a lot of this stuff in stock.

I also haven't spoken to Michelle yet and would like to make sure she's OK with the plan but appears from the other thread she would be. Also assuming she would be fine with paying for the parts but everyone is donating their labor.

Couple people reached out about donating a few bucks to offset the expenses so I can set that up with paypal or something.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MichelleLe1
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    I'm only 40 minutes from there. But I'm not a contractor. But I learned a bunch from this site and Dan's books. I feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...🤣. I think the homeowner should start a go fund me page. I can toss a little coin in the pot.
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • EzzyT
    If I could make it I pretty much have all the tools needed to do a boiler install or repipe on the truck at all time.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    MichelleLe1
  • Sailah
    EzzyT said:

If I could make it I pretty much have all the tools needed to do a boiler install or repipe on the truck at all time.

That's why I'm buttering you up with free donuts Ezzy!
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Canucker
  • EzzyT
    I don’t eat donuts. I just need some coffe and some good music.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • Sailah
    OK fine we'll all be eating donuts though B)
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I agree with @EzzyT now that I have thought about it during the week is probably the best choice. With no one available to look at it ahead of time there will be some fitting chasing that during the week would be easier. I know the area slightly and it is somewhat remote as far as decent supply houses. Granite Group was not there when I did work in the area so I don't know what they have.

12/12--12/18 NG for me.

But whenever it is I will help if at all possible.
    MichelleLe1
  • coelcanth
    coelcanth Member Posts: 89
    sounds to me like you should charge admission and call it a seminar !
    MichelleLe1CLambadasilva
  • EzzyT
    Might as well get the bbq going and throw on some steaks.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    Ironmanadasilva
  • Sailah
    I can cook for a crowd, one of my specialties.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MichelleLe1
  • KC_Jones
    I think I'd be so "star struck" meeting some of you guys I would forget what an ego is.

If it's a weekday I will have to graciously bow out. Between having to take vacation and the distance I just can't work that out.

I just checked on my small inventory of stuff and everything I have is 2" and smaller and I don't have much 2", so I don't think it's useful.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • MichelleLe1
    MichelleLe1 Member Posts: 31
    Hello all.
    I'm Michelle, the home owner.
    I'm so grateful that even one of you is willing to help me out. I'm in no hurry so after the holidays is fine or whenever is good for the majority. I work from home so I'm very flexible. Also this is my slow season so I can get time off too.
    Any chance I can get an idea of what I need so I can see how much parts are going to run? Plainfield isn't far so I can pick everything up that will fit in my Subaru Forester 😁
    A cook would be awesome. I'm cooking impaired although I did just make up a nice batch of turkey soup. I have a sister who can help in the $ department. Plus I've been considering getting a cc anyways.
    The plumber who installed it will be here soon. I hope I can get him to help. 🤞
  • Ironman
    The piping he did was incorrect, but so is most of the other beyond his which has been that way for a long time. I've never seen anyone try to "spider pipe" a steam system. It's just not gonna work properly like that as it violates numerous steam piping rules.

If he's willing to help out, that would certainly be welcome.
    Bob Boan
  • KC_Jones
    Keep us posted on the dates, I have some time off coming up and if it falls in that time frame I might be able to work it out.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I can't make that trip from Ohio, but I'd love to participate and meet all of you guys. Having said that, if a Go Fund Me account is set up, I'd be glad to make a donation.
  • MichelleLe1
    Alright the plumber and his assistant just left. I was trying to figure out how to say that his install is all f*#'d up in a nice way. I let them scratch their heads a for a little while trying to figure out how to fix it.
    I couldn't watch them because I was still working 😟
    I think they adjusted the automatic water to put more water in the furnace. The heat is off and the water line is about 3/4 full.
    I was still trying to get up the nerve to say I thought it needs to be redone but he said if I still have issues he will bring in a guy who works on steam systems. I couldn't get a name out of him though.
    Basically I chickened out of telling them for now. When I call next week (because I know whatever he did didn't fix anything) hopefully I can get someone here who will see that it is messed up and help me explain why.
    My plumber did say that maybe he could learn something so that's a good sign.
    I will keep you updated.
    Thanks again.
    No Go Fund Me please. There are many people out there that need it much much more than I do.
  • Sailah
    You can't cancel now, I just bought the steaks and Ezzy likes steaks :)

We're showing up to have a party if you like it or not!!
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Ironman
  • MichelleLe1
    Oh. I'm not canceling. I'll still take all the help I can get 😁
    I'm going to get the guest room ready in case anyone needs to stay overnight.
  • Ironman
    I can come with two - four men on Thursday, two weeks from today. We'll work Friday and Saturday and return on Sunday. I'll bring my pickup with a trailer with threaders, tools, etc.

Will that work for any/everyone else?
    Bob Boan
    SailahKoan