Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann Disappointment

Options
124»

Comments

• 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    It really is like Dan says in his new book...people perhaps contractors more so are afraid to admit that they don't know...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    No mystery there Bob . That's why those contractors are considered at the upper echelon , they have always known the value of knowledge and training .

I once heard a conversation referenced ,

" What if we spend all this money to train these guys and they leave ? What if we don't train them and they stay ? "

Pretty damned prophetic , would you not agree ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Gordy
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited December 2015
    Options
    GW said:

My opinion is the manufacturers should list competent contractors on their web sites.

The mini-split manufacturers are pretty good about this. They have 'preferred installer' programs that require completion of both in-person and online training in order to get listed. Some of them even list the number of systems by category each of the contractors have installed. OTOH we all know contractors who do substandard work but move a lot of product, which can be difficult for most manufacturers to see past.
    The reps know the goons from the guys that have a clue, and not to share that info with the public seems odd.
    It takes a fairly proactive and knowledgeable customer to know enough to find the rep and make contact. That sort of customer is far less likely overall to get hurt IMO.
    GordyGWCMadatMe
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    4Johnpipe said:

It really is like Dan says in his new book...people perhaps contractors more so are afraid to admit that they don't know...

I'm not sure this is a new phenomenon. It's probably been that way since the dawn of commerce. When one's got a family to feed, and they are behind the 8 ball, who knows what fibs get told. Shoot, look at Bernie Madoff, this isn't just a contractor issue by any stretch.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    4Johnpipe
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Where is the original poster? We've kinda stole the thread into something it wasn't about but would like to know if I've been off base with my original and follow up response to his post.

Just felt like there was too much disinformation and wanted to try and straighten out the record.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I really take exception with blaming the victim.....period. Because it opens the door for it EVER being right. It is under no circumstances, fair, right, or just.
    Rich_49jonny88
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "My opinion is the manufacturers should list competent contractors on their web sites. The reps know the goons from the guys that have a clue, and not to share that info with the public seems odd. "

Manufacturers are largely hesitant to post a list of contractors who are qualified because sharing the list allows other manufacturers to see who is buying that product and potentially solicit them for sales.

We still have never seen pics of the installation so commenting is rather moot. Sometimes a homeowner just can't be satisfied, no matter what the issues are. As an installer who uses Viessmann equipment, I was particularly interested in this thread. I'm well aware of the problems in the trade with so much sub-standard
    work being done. It saddens me that only a few can execute the craft at a high level, most work I see is at a mediocre level, or worse. Less diamond plate...more pipe insulation.
    Rich_49
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Victim? There was never a victim, the contractor in this case has always been a phone call away, was always willing to correct issues and never ducked him. There's a lot more this contractor did for the original poster that's not being stated.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Paul, I have pics of the job. Like I said previously at install the mixing valve was installed in the wrong position and was fixed immediately once the contractor was notified of an issue. Other issues do need to be addressed but the boiler installation did pass inspection.

The over heating of the room is cause by two issues. The first is the heating curve, which the contractor told the homeowner at install would have to be fined tuned and would require additional visits as the heating season progressed. It's been pretty much in the 40-60's and might even hit the 70's. Second, the homeowner informed the contractor that at some point he was going to have someone come in and foam insulate but wasn't sure when. Well that's also happened now. So another room dynamic has changed.

System is running constant circulation so a 2 minute shift/curve change needs to be done. See the reaction of the room to it and if needed adjust more. Homeowner just doesn't seem to have the patience or understanding so in his mind the contractor doesn't know what he is doing because he can't set it right the 1st time.
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    I was aware of the issues from your previous posts. I also spoke with Michael Lutz when he was in Seattle several weeks ago. I never comment on what I can't see, or if it's none of my business. I was more concerned that that the issues were satisfied so there was no blemish on the manufacturer due to neglect.
    CMadatMeRich_49
  • Paul48
    Options
    Chris........The victim statement was aimed at those that were rallying behind the fact that "people get what they deserve". It was not necessarily meant for this post, and neither were the scumbag comments. That someone can become so jaded that they take pleasure in someone else's misery, is beyond me. Before someone makes a comment like that, they need to remove the word customer from the post, and insert "mom or dad" in its place. Then, do you still feel as joyous about someone being taken advantage of?
  • Paul48
    Options
    About 20 years ago, we purchased a new Pontiac for my wife. The car died while driving it home from the dealer. While waiting for the car to be "fixed" at the dealership, we talked to a young woman. Her car had just been fixed and they were bringing it out. They presented her with a bill for $180(20 yrs ago), and showed her that they had taped up some wires. She proceeded to throw a hissy-fit, as loudly as she possibly could. She was ushered to the service managers desk, where the bill was reduced to $40.
    We took our "fixed", new automobile home, and it died again. Again, we took it back and they fixed it. It died again and we went in to talk to the business manager. My wife told him she didn't want the car. His response was,"it don't work like that lady". My wife proceeded to throw the loudest hissy-fit, she could possibly muster in their showroom. Folks stopped looking at cars and began looking at my wife. It was a performance worthy of Broadway. We were ushered into his office, and told we could take any car we desired.
    The moral of the story is.........Sometimes ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. No one can say, how this man's story would have played out, had he not created a sh---storm. He was looking out for himself and his family. If he had to bash a manufacturer....oh well.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    @GW

I'm not sure this is a new phenomenon. It's probably been that way since the dawn of commerce. When one's got a family to feed, and they are behind the 8 ball, who knows what fibs get told. Shoot, look at Bernie Madoff, this isn't just a contractor issue by any stretch.

Agreed...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Paul48
    Options
    The truth's on both sides may lie somewhere in the middle. Something made the mouse roar, and I'll bet he doesn't regret it, one bit. He shouldn't.
    Rich_49
  • GW
    Options
    Paul, now that you mention that (other manufacturers may solicit the contractor), I have heard that excuse too, many many years ago...frankly that makes no sense. Any contractor with a good reputation and a few bucks sitting in his checking account ( aka pays their bills) will get solicited by a host of sales people, selling everything under the sun.

I've been continuously asked to try Fujitsu mini splits, this year I finally bought a couple (I'm a diamond dealer on Mitsubishis Web site). I've been pursued by the Carrier Bryant sales guy (I'm a Premier dealer listed on Lennox Web site ), this year I bought 5 or 6 systems.

Unless I'm mistaken, contractors are always getting asked to buy all sorts of stuff. The Viessmann line is awesome, but to say they won't publish a directory because they fear their top of the line contractors will get skimmed seems a bit off the mark. Us contractors are already exposed to many different products, continously. These sales people and reps routinely walk into my office, many are quite good at what they do.

I think the homeowners need to know who has a clue. Anything else is outdated mindset

Merry Christmas to all.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    GordyRobert O'Brien
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Gary ,

Turning the higher end , well known contractors can really be leveraged by manufacturers . Don't for a minute think that what Paul says is not done for those reasons . Remember , at the end of the day they are salesmen .

Yes , they do solicit everyone but there is something quite special about telling others how the guys listed on a manufacturers site are also using their product or that they have switched to their product
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • GW
    Options
    Rich said:

Gary ,

Turning the higher end , well known contractors can really be leveraged by manufacturers . Don't for a minute think that what Paul says is not done for those reasons . Remember , at the end of the day they are salesmen .

Yes , they do solicit everyone but there is something quite special about telling others how the guys listed on a manufacturers site are also using their product or that they have switched to their product

Rich, I don't understand your first sentence, "Turning the higher end , well known contractors can really be leveraged by manufacturers ", can you please re-phrase

When you say, "telling others' what do you mean, and who is telling whom in this example? The manufacturers telling other manufacturers ? How does that relate to the subject of online directory of a contractor having some sort of clue how to work on a manufacturer's boiler?

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks for saying that, Gene. You are my model for what a fine wholesaler is all about. Your contractor customers are lucky to have you on guard at all times. Well done!
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Paul Pollets
    Options
    Not sure how you would fry a control board by changing the ionization rod, but I appreciate your over-the-top service to your customers. My dad would always open the shop to get a needed part for a plumber on Saturday or Sunday... way before the internet simplified shopping.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Way to go, @GeneGross!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Total1
    Total1 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    After the Boiler . a viessman vitodens130 was installed , I had a few questions . Call the support line and they were awesome . They even had a demo unit that they stepped me through the settings .... Not a MINUTE of trouble with it since ...
  • GW
    Options
    Paul48 said:

About 20 years ago, we purchased a new Pontiac for my wife. The car died while driving it home from the dealer. While waiting for the car to be "fixed" at the dealership, we talked to a young woman. Her car had just been fixed and they were bringing it out. They presented her with a bill for $180(20 yrs ago), and showed her that they had taped up some wires. She proceeded to throw a hissy-fit, as loudly as she possibly could. She was ushered to the service managers desk, where the bill was reduced to $40.
    We took our "fixed", new automobile home, and it died again. Again, we took it back and they fixed it. It died again and we went in to talk to the business manager. My wife told him she didn't want the car. His response was,"it don't work like that lady". My wife proceeded to throw the loudest hissy-fit, she could possibly muster in their showroom. Folks stopped looking at cars and began looking at my wife. It was a performance worthy of Broadway. We were ushered into his office, and told we could take any car we desired.
    The moral of the story is.........Sometimes ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. No one can say, how this man's story would have played out, had he not created a sh---storm. He was looking out for himself and his family. If he had to bash a manufacturer....oh well.

The toils of living in a first world nation. I was in Mexico a few years ago, and on the tour some of the 1st world nation folks (including myself) were blown away that some of the locals still live 'off grid', like they did centuries ago. The tour guide ( a local) says in so many words..."yes but they don't have the daily problems you have". I was speechless.
    I wish i was there to see your wife's performance, sounds like she rocked it.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com