Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It's their world now

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
83 plus millennials in the US, time for them to step up and get involved. It can be at any level from signing a letter to running for office.

If not the "old guard" may keep running up the tab on their cc, with trillion dollar wars, for example.

It is interesting to see which candidates are turning out the young and independents. And which candidates are stirring the pot without any apparent solutions or reality. Should be an interesting election, I just wish it didn't have to last 2 years.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Rich_49Tinmanjonny88kcoppGordy

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Moving out of the parents basement would be a good start! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Erin Holohan HaskellHatterasguyIronmanGordy
  • hot_rod

Moving out of the parents basement would be a good start! :)

But someday we may need move in with them, so...the roles often reverse.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    I'm ready to move in with mine!
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'BrienErin Holohan HaskellEricAune
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I fall under that millennials category. I had a full time job right out of high school (2002) and moved out a year later. Had to move back in 2009 after the economy took a drive for 6 months then bought a condo with my wife and then bought a house in 2012. Condo worst decision ever! Now I'm a father and have a stay at home wife. I hustle as much as possible to keep her home to raise our 15 month girl. Who has daddy wrapped right around her finger.

I have plenty of friends who still live at home or renting because of too much dept from college. Which sucks but they want that American Dream of going to college and getting a 9 to 5er.

I knew freshman year of high school I wasn't going to college. Didn't know why, but just did. I was always good with my hands and my brain soon to follow a bit slower then my hands, but it's came together in the end.

I absolutely love being an HVACR tech/ installer I wouldn't change it at all.
    TinmanSWEIRich_49bob eck
  • Robert O'Brien
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    njtommyAaron_in_Maine
  • Robert O'Brien
    njtommy said:

I fall under that millennials category. I had a full time job right out of high school (2002) and moved out a year later. Had to move back in 2009 after the economy took a drive for 6 months then bought a condo with my wife and then bought a house in 2012. Condo worst decision ever! Now I'm a father and have a stay at home wife. I hustle as much as possible to keep her home to raise our 15 month girl. Who has daddy wrapped right around her finger.

I have plenty of friends who still live at home or renting because of too much dept from college. Which sucks but they want that American Dream of going to college and getting a 9 to 5er.

I knew freshman year of high school I wasn't going to college. Didn't know why, but just did. I was always good with my hands and my brain soon to follow a bit slower then my hands, but it's came together in the end.

I absolutely love being an HVACR tech/ installer I wouldn't change it at all.

I'm talking failure to launch, not someone hitting a rough patch
    njtommy
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I wouldn't want to be a millennial in this day and age. I have 3 daughters, ages 25, 27, and 29. In many ways, I think their generation has it harder than mine did.
    Steve Minnich
  • Robert O'Brien

I wouldn't want to be a millennial in this day and age. I have 3 daughters, ages 25, 27, and 29. In many ways, I think their generation has it harder than mine did.

Absolutely, it's harder now and most aren't prepared to deal with adversity, trophies for everyone! :)
  • Tinman
    My girls dealt with more than their share of adversity at a young age. It sure didn't seem like it was for the better at the time, but as a result they're tough as nails.
    Steve Minnich
    Robert O'BrienSWEI4Johnpipe
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    @Robert O'Brien
    Lol that video is great.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Guess I fall under that category. The gravy is still there, you just have to go get it because nobody is bringing it to the table.

I was working full time since I was 14. Started my own business in 2008, when the recession hit, at the age of 23. Bought my first house 2 years later and going strong today. I never got any monetary help and wouldn't want it anyway.

There are a lot of great millennials. Thing is, they are the ones who are to busy working to make all those complaining noises.
    CanuckerRobert O'Briendelta T
  • Tinman
    Harvey, you're only 31 or so? You need to be in the same group of "Future of Our Industry" guys like Hot Rod's son!
    Steve Minnich
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2016
    I bought into to the lazy millenial argument. But, this past weekend, I went to a wedding and was surrounded by millenials for two days and came home impressed with them. they were all holding there own, starting families, and shifting into the next gear of their careers.
    Robert O'Brien
  • Tinman
    It's a different world now. College is the new high school and soon grad school will be the next college. Make sense? Kids lives are delayed as a result. They're buying homes later, having kids later, etc. The biggest thing I see is less of them getting their hands dirty. Literally.
    Steve Minnich
    Robert O'Brien
  • hot_rod
    Plenty of doom and gloomers around, they usually attract like thinkers, or pass on their Debbie Downer attitude regardless of age.
    Lot of young, and old folks worldwide that would like the opportunities that America offers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Robert O'Brien
    edited April 2016

Harvey, you're only 31 or so? You need to be in the same group of "Future of Our Industry" guys like Hot Rod's son!

I know I was shocked when I first met him! There are a number of younger guys doing great work here.
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 354
    edited April 2016
    The millenials who get made fun of so much are mostly upper middle class kids who were coddled as opposed to working class or lower middle.

Example: a friend of mine interviewed a soon to be college graduate in the Boston area. The candidate was eating oatmeal during the interview and did not say what they could do for my friend's organization, but what they needed to be happy every day at work.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited April 2016
    I agree that there are ambitious Millennials out there who defy the stereotype. I am 34, so I guess that would make me a Millennial as well. I learned the value of hard work at a young age and started my first company when I was 21.

I think Millennials are stepping up. We're just not hearing about it.

According to this infographic from The Washington Post, with 92 Million people, "The Millennial generation is the biggest in US history - even bigger than the Baby Boom." These are current and future employees and customers.

It must be incredibly daunting for those who are now entering the workforce to be faced with lower employment levels, debt, and the stereotype that their entire generation is lazy.

Millennials don't need trophies. They need a change in dialogue. And we need them for the future of our industry.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Canuckerdelta T
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I belong to a wiremen's association where we have instructors from the community college who give the presentation for our required continuing Ed hours. We always enquire how the students for electrical construction are doing (it's a 2 year program). This year 40 started and 20 dropped out or were just sent home.

3 unexcused absences or being late will send you home, mothers will call and plead for reinstatement.

Students are expected to sweep up after const lab......some think the janitor should do this.

They say "this isn't like working.....it's school"

One student's mother comes to school once a week to clean his room.
    Our group throws a scholarship to one of the students for each class. We wisely will award it only in their second year.
  • Tinman
    I'm in the process of stealing a second guy from the corporate world, another college graduate of the business world. Both were unhappy with their current jobs. I told them both they could make a very good living doing what I do and they would have tangible evidence at the end of the day of a job well done.
    Both guys had ZERO experience working with tools. That's teachable if they have a sincere interest. I'd rather hire on energy and attitude rather than perceived aptitude. Both Tim and the prospective new guy have that in spades.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEIErin Holohan Haskelldelta T
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited April 2016

Absolutely, it's harder now and most aren't prepared to deal with adversity, trophies for everyone! :)
    Not all of us can be as great as you. ;)

Luckily, I was born in 80 which most consider generation X. I'd hate to have people blaming me for everything and calling me lazy for absolutely no reason.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Brewbeer
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Personally I just don't see the millennial issues everyone talks about. I see bad employees and attitudes in ALL generations. Right now we have 7 millennials in my department, 1 of them is a complete POS the other 6 are fantastic 1 in particular is over the moon good. I would put him against most others with 20+ years experience and he has only been at this job for 5 years. If I had a few more like these millennials we could probably fire twice as many of our experienced people. I find their ambition is a lot higher than their more experience counterparts and they have a thirst for knowledge that I just don't see in many. We all have different experiences, but I have a hard time when people make blanket statements about an entire generation...it just isn't that way. I would also like to add that the good or bad ones are acting how they were taught by their parents, who learned from their parents, who learned from theirs etc.....take that for what it is. My parents taught me well, I know people who's parents didn't and it shows. I can spot an adult who had "bad" parents from a mile away it's obvious. We only know what we are taught and we don't know what we don't know. Is that an excuse for being a "bad" citizen? No it's not. I say instead of whining about a generation being "bad" step up and teach them the error of their ways....directly. Talk directly to anyone you know and educate them about being responsible taking pride in life, yourself, your community. I started a new "program" with my kids this year. We walk around the neighborhood once a week and clean up trash. This is teaching them to take pride in where the live and shows others the pride we take and generally that can be contagious. I don't talk I act....talking is a waste of time. Show people how it's done and they will follow. Just one man's perspective on "things".
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    rick in AlaskaErin Holohan HaskellBrewbeer
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    I too do not believe its just the millennials...it can be any generation that is not productive.....im 30 years old and my partner is 28 ....just like harvey i still tell people im ten years older.....ive been in the field since im 17 ...opened my business at 28...and worked hard my whole life
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    njtommyErin Holohan HaskellCanucker
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Paul, when I was your age, I knew a lot about steam heating because I made it my business to know. When I solved a problem and they asked me how old I was, I told them I was 15. ;)
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan HaskellRobert O'BrienPaul S_3
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    I read TLAOSH when i was 19 ....and i read it before every heating season....i have to say if it wasnt for your steam and hydronic books i would not be in the position i am today....thank you Dan for your writing
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • ChrisJ

Thanks, Paul. I'm in the process of rewriting that one right now. I've learned a bit more, thanks to all of you on this site.

*Cough change 33% to 15% cough*.....
    o:)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEIRich_49jonny88Paul S_3
  • SlamDunk
    I think it is the way established generations look at younger generations...remember hippies?
    Erin Holohan HaskellRobert O'BrienCanucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    When I look in the mirror B)
    Erin Holohan HaskellSlamDunk
  • Tinman
    Every one of my teen years were in the 70's and I lived to talk about it.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEIrick in Alaska
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I had a blast being a nuisance to society.
  • Paul48
    In the best of times, it's easy for folks to prosper. It's the hard times that truly define us.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Robert O'Brien
    I'm not following? I agree that it's tougher now and as for the trophies, who do you think handed them out?
    Zman
  • Paul48
    We....as a society did, and still do. We don't just reward excellence. We reward everyone, as long as they show up. It's all part of the kinder, gentler world.
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2016

I'm not following? I agree that it's tougher now and as for the trophies, who do you think handed them out?

Paul48 said:

We....as a society did, and still do. We don't just reward excellence. We reward everyone, as long as they show up. It's all part of the kinder, gentler world.

I don't know.

• Paul48
    I think the comment was made, because we really do our kids no favor by doing that. We need to teach them how to excel. We can't have them graduating high school, with the equivalent education of a 5th grade Japanese child.
    Robert O'BrienChrisJRich_49
  • Tinman
    If you don't raise your kids, someone else will...the neighborhood delinquents or the streets.
    Steve Minnich
    Rich_49
  • SlamDunk
    when I went to college in 1982-1986, tuition was $3000/yr or 12k total. My first job paid 3.7 times that per year.

That same education today costs $31,000.00/yr or $124,000!

When I took out a mortgage in 1991, the asking price was $89k. Today, this bungalow will go for @450k.

If a millenial acts like he doesnt care, why should he/she?

ttekushan_3