Wrench for tight space to remove union?
Hey there Heating Help,
I'm learning a ton about the radiant heating system in my home through this site, and tackling my first project that requires me to touch the system. I'm currently remodeling a bedroom, and need to pull out the base-ray cast iron baseboard radiators so I can redo the walls, floors, etc. I was able to drain all of the water from the boiler drain valve. Now I'm trying to remove the unions at the baseboard inlet/outlet. The piping is very close to the wall (unsion is about 1/2" away from the wall). My pipe wrench has no space to turn at all. I was about to run out to the store to see what my options are, but I figured I'd ask here. Is there a special wrench that you all use in these situations? Or maybe another approach that I'm not aware of to remove this baseboard? Images below for context. Please feel free to correct my language if I'm using the wrong terms. Thank you for an awesome, very helpful site 🙏
Comments
-
-
First of all it appears that you have your pipe wrence set to tighten the union nut in your photos. the union nut rotation for that valve is to go UP on the side facing you and DOWN on the side facing the wall
If you don't have a flat jaw wrench that will fit that nut, ChannelLoc makes a thin jaw that opens wide enough for that nut.
There are older flat jaw wrenches that were commonly used for that purpose.
This has a thin jaw to fit in that tight space. Some old man with an old tool box has one in his garage near you if you can find him.
Edward Young Retired
After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?
2 -
-
A basin wrench is another option
Crows foot
Flare nut wrench
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream1 -
-
The tool you want is called an angle head open wrench.
Anything other than a wrench with fixed flat jaws will make a mess of the nut, it's soft brass. The angle head wrench has two heads, each angled and each at a different angle. Since you can flip it over there are four possible angles, one of them will work. You move the nut a little, then move onto the next head. After a bit you've moved it 1/6th of a turn and you go back to the first one.
A wrench in the size you need will be expensive in a brick-and-mortar store and cheap on Amazon.
1 -
measure across the flats.
I've made open end wrenches from a piece of 3/8" thick flat stock and a porta-band saw.
Crow foot wrenches over 2" available
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream1 -
All of the above. I'm not in favour of Crescent (adjustable) wrenches, unless they are very good quality. As @EdTheHeaterMan notes, the threads are on the valve part of the union, so you are pulling up and pushing towards the wall on the wrench handle.
Another wrench which would work — if the nut hasn't been overtightened — is a strap wrench like this:
One of the handiest tools I own…
Br. Jamie, osb
Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England1 -
The nut to floor dimension is what limits your wrench choices. A cresent that opens that large may not fit around the nut?
Tap around it with the two hammer method, or warm it with a heat gun, and you probably unscrew it by hand :)
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream1 -
Wow, so many great responses and ideas! I came to the right place :)
@hot_rod you're correct about the nut to floor clearance. It's only about 1/4", so that's very limiting. For the two hammer method, can you point me to a link? or explain what that is?
Several ideas that I'll look into:
- Channellock slim jaw adjustable wrench
- 12" Strap wrench
- Open end wrench
- Angled head open wrench
- Crow foot wrench
- Flare nut wrench
- Basin wrench
- Pump pliers with a cheater pipe
I'll go to the store and check these out to see what feels feasible, or see if a friend has any of these tools. Another option, since I'm already doing this, is to take out the flooring and drywall first, to create more clearance around the nut, but I was hoping to just get the baseboard out before demoing the room.0 -
I agree with @hot_rod tapping a union with a small hammer will break the paint and rust loose and make it much easier to break loose.
Also the direction of the wrench as others have mentioned above.
a 12" adjustable wrench should do the trick along with some pump pliers when you get it loose.
0 -
Unless you happen to find a super heavy duty Basin wrench I bet you will turn a common Basin wrench into a pretzel before you ever get close enough to loose that nut.
I'd use this type of Crow foot, not inexpensive for the larger ones and you would need the long breaker bar too.
Or this, I think it would grip and spin the nut in the correct direction to get it loose. Then use the slip joints.
National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
One Pipe System0
Categories
- All Categories
- 87.8K THE MAIN WALL
- 3.3K A-C, Heat Pumps & Refrigeration
- 59 Biomass
- 430 Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- 131 Chimneys & Flues
- 2.2K Domestic Hot Water
- 6K Gas Heating
- 124 Geothermal
- 170 Indoor-Air Quality
- 3.8K Oil Heating
- 79 Pipe Deterioration
- 1.1K Plumbing
- 6.7K Radiant Heating
- 396 Solar
- 16.1K Strictly Steam
- 3.5K Thermostats and Controls
- 56 Water Quality
- 51 Industry Classes
- 51 Job Opportunities
- 18 Recall Announcements




















