Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler losing water

Options
12346»

Comments

• General
    General Member Posts: 120
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @fred ...boiler install has started, copper gone etc. Any ideas on how piping could be done right without having to turn the boiler in a different direction? Carl thinks we need to turn it facing right to make it possible to pipe per slant fin requirements.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Are there reasons you don't want to turn the boiller in a different direction? As long as you leave room for service and maintenance it should be fine. If, for some reason you can't turn the boiler, it is fine to put a 90 degree elbow on the end of the header and turn the corner so that you have a "L" shaped header. Just be sure that there is some pitch in the header, back to the equalizer and follow the installation configuration, Riser(s) from boiler, riser(s) to mains, equalier at the end following the main riser(s). You can look at some photos on this site from @Chrisj or @KC_Jones . They have installed there boilers with the 90 degree headers.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    Yep.
    This was the best solution I could come up with for mine.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    j a_2vaporvac
  • General
    Options
    @fred..If the front gets turned to the right it would be facing away from the floor drain and over carpet. Carl did get rid of the tee which I am glad about. He is also very open to suggestion so I will show him your boiler @chris . Thanks guys!
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Looks good...don't forget the relief valve drip, dangerous without
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    j a said:

Looks good...don't forget the relief valve drip, dangerous without

The drip was added shortly after that picture.

Also, in my area the inspectors insisted on copper and with a union if necessary to make it easy to replace the valve when it leaks. I'm told they flat out fail it if done in black iron.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Chris and I are mirror images of each other with respect to the 90° bend in the header.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJvaporvac
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    You guys are just showing off! :smiley: Seriously, great illustrations, I'm just sad I don't have one to add...or maybe I do. Hmmmm.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    General
  • Fred
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @General , we haven't heard from you in a while. Did Carl get your new block installed? Are you happy with the job he did? Give us an update when you get a chance.
  • General
    Options
    The boiler is about half done. We are not trying to hurry since we don't want to fire it up in the Summer! I will post a pic soon of where he is so far...thanks for checking in :smile:
  • General
    Options
    @fred, here is the boiler install so far.....
    vaporvac
  • Fred
    Options
    That'll work!
  • General
    Options
    YAHOO!!