Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Filter drier

I saw a lot time a filter drier on suction line of carrier unit why? This should be removed after two week only for replace compressor when it’s burn out right ? This won’t cause restriction? It sitting every year every time I go back do the ac maintenance 

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Because unless you are have a pressure drop thru the filter-drier you are ok. that type of filter drier is not a removal drier core style so opening up the system to remove is something you want to avoid. which would mean adding another filter drier on the liquid side after removing.
    if you are worried about acid still being in the system you can test the system for acids. might give you piece of mind.
    Ironman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited June 2022
    Scott to the book
    a suction filter is installed after a compressor burnout to aid in acid clean up. Check acid level after 24 - 48 hours of operation. If clean remove filter. If still acidic remove and replace. Repeat as needed.
    I add the time to remove to the compressor change. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If a suction drier was put in the system to remove acid, then the acid is still in the system........it's just trapped in the dryer. The acid could be released back into the system if the dryer breaks down. It should be removed
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    It probably should be removed, but if you're there for a PM, I wouldn't touch it without explicit instructions from the office. A PM isn't the time to be making significant changes like that. A note on the work order mentioning it & a recommendation that it be removed might be appropriate.
    pecmsg