Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat

I have a HTP EFTC-140W. It has the outdoor temp sensor icon flashing. There is no outdoor temp sensor. I can't figure it out. Please help

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Is this a new installation or a sudden problem with an existing system?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • tomboretos
    tomboretos Member Posts: 5
    Existing system
  • tomboretos
    Sorry was busy
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited November 2021
    Per the IO&M for EFT, the "house" symbol flashes if neither the 0-10V or ODR sensors is connected. It is a status only event, not an error unless you previously had a ODR or 0-10V input connected. Without a ODR, the unit will run max SWT per the configuration settings when "TT" line are closed.

Is the thermostat calling for heat?

Is circulator pump running (look for solid pump symbol on status panel)?

When did the unit stopped working? What other symptom do you see?

@Ironman has worked with these units but hard to say with current information.
    tomboretos
  • PC7060
    You can access the IO&M here: https://htproducts.com/literature/lp-520.pdf
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2021
    I have noritz CB 199. I think I have a similar user interface for control. You need to go in setting and set up whether you wanted ODR in your system or not. Some system is not by default, in that case, it will keep flashing. if you activate the ODR in your setting it will stay solid in the panel.
    Read Page # 50 in the manual (Above link posted by @PC7060 )
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
    PC7060
  • tomboretos
    The thermostat is calling for heat and the pump is running. Its been this way since the gas company turned it back on after redoing the gas lines outside. Everything else seems to be fine
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Are the gas cocks open outside and at the boiler?

Did the gas company purge the air out of the lines and test fire the boiler?

They should have.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    PC7060bucksnort
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The pump shouldn’t operate until the water is warm. 
    GroundUp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    What other icons does it have? a good picture of the panel will help. is it turned on with the button next to the display? not sure if the odr icon flashes with it off or not.
  • PC7060
    pecmsg said:
    The pump shouldn’t operate until the water is warm. 
    The main circulator pump starts immediately on the EFT if it’s anything like the UFT series. 
  • PC7060
    edited November 2021
    Second @Ironman recommendation;  look at page 2 of the IO&M for gas shutoff valve instructions.  
    The error codes are on page 56.  The instructions to get into installer mode to check out error codes starts at the bottom of page 52.   
    Page 58 has the ignition flow; no gas will result in E11 failure. 
    Don’t ask me how I know this error code so we’ll.   :(
  • mattmia2
    Since it is a mod con, it needs to have the circulator running whenever it is firing to keep flow through the hx.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    If its like my Noritz POS I have in my house, once every 3-6 months it just loses its mind and blows out all the configuration settings in the controls. Don’t ask me why. At least I got it for free second hand (tore it out after the customer was fed up with it for same issues and poor application).
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    This might be on the simplistic side, try disconnecting the outdoor sensor and see what happens.Might need to cycle the power after you disconnect.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • PC7060
    @gw - OP said he didn't have a ODR sensor connected. Not sure if he was able to look at his error codes
    GW
  • tomboretos
    It produces hot water just no heat
  • mattmia2
    turn it off, hold down the top button until it goes in to installer mode, the first item in the menu will be the error codes, press the knob to select that item, then turn the knob to scroll through them.
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    edited November 2021
    @tomboretos - what @mattmia2 (and I) said, go into installer mode and look to see what error codes are listed.  
    You will have to some leg work since none of us can see your boiler from our offices or homes. A bit more information in your posts would help too. 
    Read the IO&M manual I previously posted link to. 
    Look at page 2 of the IO&M for gas shutoff valve instructions.  
    The error codes are on page 56.  The instructions to get into installer mode to check out error codes starts at the bottom of page 52.   
    Page 58 has the ignition flow; no gas will result in E11 failure. 
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Sounds like a problem with the three-way valve. I have installed two HTP EFTC-140W s. Replaced the three-way valve three times, most recently last week. Hot water would work, no error codes, but will not switch to heat. Internal pump would run on heat call. Known problem with this model. Three way valve part #: 7855P-247. Part does NOT come with needed gaskets and o-rings. Get two(2) EFTC-140 spare parts kits. Need to remove internal pump and CH Return block to change this. Pg 69 of install manual
    PC7060