Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking at replacing the boiler

phil22
phil22 Member Posts: 5
The law in Canada for Emissions in 2023 of January will not allow mid efficanct

boilers anymore
Basically they’re really hard to buy now and the cost of gone up considerably. I have Teledyne Lars Jvs 160 160,000 BTUs it’s running fine it’s from 2009 I haven’t had many problems with it my dilemma is if I don’t buy it now add a considerable cost I won’t be able to buy it anymore they have very few available but now I’m considering Wells McLean with a cast-iron body I need your input if I should go with that instead it’s really awful that they’ve change this law hereI did buy a brand new gas hot water tank 50 gallon already and put a new stack through the roof I don’t know if it’s good just to wait and put a high-efficiency boiler in but I have copper baseboard heating from the 50s three-quarter inch copper pipe in the house about 180 feet of fence seems to really work well with The mid Efficient boilers I’m at a crossroads now if I don’t at least do it soon I won’t be able to buy another one and will have no choice in the future but to spend a lot of additional cost putting in a high-efficiency boiler and removing the new hot water tank in the future any advice would be great

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    Assuming you have access to someplace to vent a mod con, replacing that with a mod con in 30 or 40 years when it needs to be replaced won't be difficult. A mod con with your baseboard will not be much more efficient than that boiler because of the high water temps baseboard usually needs.
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Are things different in Canada where the HO buys the boiler and then hires a contractor to install it? That happens occasionally here in the US, but most supply houses won’t sell to HO’s and reputable contractors usually won’t install a boiler that an HO has bought. 

Unless things are different there, I’d be looking for a good hydronic contractor and start doing business with him. The contractor is 95% of the equation.

The boiler you currently have will quite likely last for many years if properly maintained. You may be looking a little too far ahead in your decision making.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    EBEBRATT-Edmattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    It looks like it is installed properly. Keep running it!
    mattmia2BigRob
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    What if someone needs to replace a steam boiler in Canada?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    JUGHNE said:

What if someone needs to replace a steam boiler in Canada?

Welcome to the Brave New World. Don't laugh, @JUGHNE -- it will be coming to State near you soon.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    Phill22, is that rule in effect for new construction or does it include replacements?

Jamie, as far as applying that ruling for steam, there is more (necessary) steam in use than the green people realize.
    Large commercial, instruction, and process systems. Let alone all the small resi steam heating systems.

Pitchforks and torches time!!
  • phil22
    Anyone know how to put Inhibitor in the system can you put it through the bypass valve or in the feeder I have a closed loop system with copper Baseboard fins
  • phil22
    Yes that’s for new construction or retrofit you’re not allowed to install after January 2023 That’s not 90% efficiency you need to buy all the mid efficient boiler is right now because they’re running out
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    You should be able to use your axion tank to inject inhibitors.You probably need to "think like water" and close one valve and open a boiler drain to be sure it goes where you want it to.
    As far as the boiler upgrade goes, what is your timeline? Odds are, you will get another 12 years out of the Minitherm. What will you be doing in 12 years?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    If I remember correctly, back in the 90's when we could only buy low gallon "no flush" toilets,
    there were some 4-5 gallon flushers that came in from Canada. Maybe.

Could be a new business traveling from the states to the north with trucks.