Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

H/O installs-Don’t look while eating.

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
Saw these on FB…Wall of Shame for sure.

steve
Solid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Well the first one is sick, it's making me dizzy.

I will bet the boys at Viega love it though.

As long as you start pressing on the inside and working your way out. You could never get the gun on half those joints now.

The second pic. "I'd like to take the smoke pipe down" but the wiring is a whole nother story
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575

The second pic. "I'd like to take the smoke pipe down" but the wiring is a whole nother story

just release the sharkbites
  • Colorado_Dave
    Colorado_Dave Member Posts: 6
    I think I threw up a little in my mouth...  just a little. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    H/O installs eh.

Propress?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Rich_49Canucker
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2021
    That first photo reminded me of my dad when he tried to teach himself how to sweat copper pipe in the 70's. He used to tell me: "people will teach you everything they know if you keep your mouth shut and steal with your eyes and ears".

He brought home all these fittings and copper pipe, excess from a plumbing job at work, And went at it melting solder on joints with a torch. Very smoky. When he was done, it resembled a full size mattress springs without the cloth. A bunch of elbows, tee's and couplings inside a square frame of copper pipe.

It had an inlet, but no outlet. When he opened the spigot, a wall of water hit us, It was a giant shower head! We laughed all day about that. When he went back to work, he told the plumber about it and asked what he missed... His eyes and ears missed the flux. Maybe, if he opened his mouth and asked the question first. But then, I wouldn't have this funny flashback every time I see a photo like that.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    @STEVEusaPA LOL Thats what I thought
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • STEVEusaPA
    ChrisJ said:

H/O installs eh.

Propress?

They'll rent them to anyone or the person borrowed one.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Or sadly it wasn't a homeowner install
    PC7060Canucker
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    ChrisJ said:
    H/O installs eh. Propress?
    I think you can rent the tool.
    That pic looks messed up on purpose for a photo op. Expensive photo op.
    PC7060
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I'm not a "press person", but wonder if those press fittings ever got pressed. I don't readily see it. Hmmm :|

Yours, Larry
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

Or sadly it wasn't a homeowner install

That's my opinion.

While everyone is giggling at "home owner" work I'd like to remind everyone how much time we spend and how often we have to help home owners get their professionally installed steam boilers piped correctly. Boilers that are more often than not piped totally wrong and then the installer refuses to fix it and insists it's correct and steam is just bad.

And the problems aren't limited to steamers. We've seen hot water nightmares, forced air disasters etc.

As Dan always says, be kind.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    epmillerRich_49JakeCKCanucker
  • STEVEusaPA
    Lighten up @Chrisj. No one's 'giggling' (do adults actually do that?). I got the pictures off a hydronics FB page. I know the poster, and yes h/o's did them.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Hi, I'm not a "press person", but wonder if those press fittings ever got pressed. I don't readily see it. Hmmm :| Yours, Larry
    I think you may be on to something. I'd like to see some close ups. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited October 2021
    You guys are too critical, At least the second pic has the pipes labeled. The calligrapher used for those labels must have been expensive. I hope they never paint over that work of art.

Besides, Tom Green is so proud of his work, he even left his phone number on the boiler in the same calligraphy. Where is the 907 area code anyway?

Yours sarcasticslly,
    Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    HVACNUT said:
    Hi, I'm not a "press person", but wonder if those press fittings ever got pressed. I don't readily see it. Hmmm :| Yours, Larry
    I think you may be on to something. I'd like to see some close ups. 
    If you’ll look closely at the Tees near the bottom right, you can see that there are press marks.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Unfortunately, 907 is an Alaska area code.😩
    Rick
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Oh well @Ironman , Good eye! No doubt there is a lot of scrap value there :|

Yours, Larry
    Ironman
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    What happened to the wall and top of the boiler in the second one?

Reminds me of the restaurant scene from bad grandpa...