Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Impeller replacement

I recently replaced the impeller on an s45 Armstrong circulator believe 1/4 HP and the height and depth of the scoops appear to be about 1/3:of the original.  There is only on replacement part so it's the right one but I'm wondering if it will impact the circulation in a way that matters?

Hard to tell the impact directly. Maybe it would spin faster with less resistance and end up with the same characteristics?

Wondering if anyone has noticed the style change?

Comments

• Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Get your money back and install new cartridge circulator, I'm thinking Taco 0010.
    STEVEusaPAIronman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    It may be "only one replacement part" but it isn't right. The geometry of the impeller is critical to the performance of the pump. Different geometry, different performance. You don't know what the impact will be, but it will be significant.

I agree with @Ctoilman .
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironmantim smith
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @SweatyInToronto

Something sounds amiss. I would call Armstrong directly. Armstrong makes good pumps. The OD of the impeller determines the head pressure and the volume of water pumped. The width of the impeller determines the volume
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    When ordering an impeller for a pump you need to know its proper diameter.
    Jamie Hall said it right.

If you want to keep that pump you can get a larger diameter impeller and have trimmed to the right size,
    it would be cheaper to replace the pump and do what Ctoilman said install a Taco 0010 cartridge pump.

jake
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226

@SweatyInToronto

Something sounds amiss. I would call Armstrong directly. Armstrong makes good pumps. The OD of the impeller determines the head pressure and the volume of water pumped. The width of the impeller determines the volume

I think that there used to be multiple companies called Armstrong selling pumps?
    So maybe OP is looking at alternative universe?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Armstrong Fluid Systems is a huge company. Probably larger than a lot of the other companies. Headquarters is in TORANTO.

They are probably not as popular in the states as far as residential size pumps go (at least around here) although they do make them. They make huge pumps for the commercial and industrial markets.

I worked for two companies that (mostly) sold and installed Armstrong. Their pumps are as good as anyone else.

Difference is as far as I know they don't sell through plumbing & heating wholesalers but have their own network of factory reps

• SweatyInToronto
    SweatyInToronto Member Posts: 75
    Thanks much. Enjoying the holiday weekend and haven't responded.

Besides the impeller I've put in for a sealed bearing unit. In retrospect, yes a new pump might have been a better idea. I'm from a long line of fix it until you can't, unfortunately perhaps.

But I will check around for a larger impeller though, and check with the Armstrong people. Didn't realize they are based in Taranta too, lol!
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    I worked in Toronto half century ago. One Armstrong company sold pumps that required Armstrong labeled motors and couplings. Rip off prices. In those days labor costs to hardware costs were opposite from today. So eventually attentive maintenance people wised up. Another Armstrong company's products looked like B & G. Which was the knock off or relabeled? Nowadays whichever is quicker to change out is way to go so I like the cartridge paradym. I'd even look into plug connections.

Armstrong Fluid Systems is a huge company. Probably larger than a lot of the other companies. Headquarters is in TORANTO.

They are probably not as popular in the states as far as residential size pumps go (at least around here) although they do make them. They make huge pumps for the commercial and industrial markets.

I worked for two companies that (mostly) sold and installed Armstrong. Their pumps are as good as anyone else.

Difference is as far as I know they don't sell through plumbing & heating wholesalers but have their own network of factory reps