Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat options for ducted Mitsubishi systems?

I am in the process of getting a ducted Mitsubishi mini split system (3 indoor/2 outdoor) installed and I can't quite decide on the correct thermostats to use with the system.

I've had Nest for ~10 yrs and I am a little concerned about spending a fair amount of $$$ for Mitsubishi's proprietary system (Kumo) because despite being expensive it looks like tech from 10+ yrs ago.

Do I have any other options if I want a WIFI-connected thermostat that won't negatively impact the Mitsubishi's efficiency?

FWIW - It's my understanding that the Nest isn't really designed for these type of systems or else I'd stick with it.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited April 2021
    The Nest is for the birds and should never be used with any modulating equipment.

Mitsubishi has an add on module which can be used to connect any standard thermostat to its AHUs. The thermostat MUST be setup for conventional heat/cool even though the Mitsi is a heat pump. You don't need the Kumo. You'll need a module for each indoor unit.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    You can find more information about the Mitsubishi thermostat interface at http://mylinkdrive.com/USA/Controls/InputOutput_Modules/Thermostat_Interface_for_Module/PAC_US444CN_1?product.

NB: I have been told that you loose quite a bit of the mini split's efficiency by using this interface.

• Aston01
    Aston01 Member Posts: 3
    Ironman said:

The Nest is for the birds and should never be used with any modulating equipment.

Mitsubishi has an add on module which can be used to connect any standard thermostat to its AHUs. The thermostat MUST be setup for conventional heat/cool even though the Mitsi is a heat pump. You don't need the Kumo. You'll need a module for each indoor unit.

I don't disagree. The problem is there isn't an obvious front runner in the situation so we're left with the second-tier options.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Aston01 said:
    The Nest is for the birds and should never be used with any modulating equipment. Mitsubishi has an add on module which can be used to connect any standard thermostat to its AHUs. The thermostat MUST be setup for conventional heat/cool even though the Mitsi is a heat pump. You don't need the Kumo. You'll need a module for each indoor unit.
    I don't disagree. The problem is there isn't an obvious front runner in the situation so we're left with the second-tier options.
    Yes
    Mitsubishi