Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Protective "shoes" for radiators feet

Options
branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
I'm about to install pre-finished hardwood floors and I've got 3 radiators I cannot handle by myself. I've been moving them around by sliding them into place as I work. Obviously not an option when I've got new floors down.

And I usually don't have help available.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Furniture slides , they come in all different sizes .. Some for hard floors some for carpet.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

branimal
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,854
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have used carpet, placed upside down with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of it, the width of radiator + 4" by 6" to place under two legs at each end. Makes sliding on a pre-finished wood or tile floor easy with no marks left behind. Must sweep the floor before you slide the rad. You don't want to drag a piece of sharp-edged scrap, a screw, or a nail under the carper.

If the floor is unfinished and there is more friction as a result, you want to be careful the radiator does not slip off the plywood. So I glue a 1/4" plywood on top of that with some holes for the radiator legs to set in.

Mr.Ed

P.S.
    I also have purchased shoes from Steeltoeshoe.com to protect my own feet from the damaging effects of cast iron radiators... Just sayin' :p

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

LS123luketheplumberbranimalelizondoguillermo026
  • branimal
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I’ll buy some hardwood floor sliders.  And remove them once the rad is in place.
    ethicalpaul
  • branimal
    Options
    Getting ready to slide these radiators. Got the hardwood floor sliders.  Think these will suffice?  Don’t want to find out the hard way.  Arrow shows the direction I’m moving the radiators.

elizondoguillermo026
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Hand Truck, Appliance Dolly
    ethicalpaulbranimalkcoppGrallert
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    They might. But as @pecmsg says, you'll be much better off with a hand truck or wheeled appliance dolly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    branimal
  • heatpumpsolar
    heatpumpsolar Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a small radiator that was taking up space on the floor. I purchased a wall mount unit and had my local HVAC company do the install. After seeing it done, I probably could've done it myself, but it's worth the peace of mind to have a professional do the work, especially due to the age of the pipes.
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Hand truck is safest for both you and the floor.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,968
    Options
    Carpet!!!!! Go to a carpet store and get a remnant carpet as @EdTheHeaterMan says above. Carpet with soft matting, (No burbur weave). Lay the carpet down on the floor soft side down and then lay the Rad. on the floor on its side. If you put the legs on the carpet it will have the chance of digging into the floor through the carpet so be sure to lay it on its side.

Push and pull the radiator into position with some help. Make certain that the floor is free of any debris.

If you try any other way, you take the chance of scraping the floor.

Best of luck.