Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Protective "shoes" for radiators feet

branimal
branimal Member Posts: 128
I'm about to install pre-finished hardwood floors and I've got 3 radiators I cannot handle by myself. I've been moving them around by sliding them into place as I work. Obviously not an option when I've got new floors down.

And I usually don't have help available.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,684
    Furniture slides , they come in all different sizes .. Some for hard floors some for carpet.
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    branimal
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 2,094
    edited March 15
    I have used carpet, placed upside down with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of it, the width of radiator + 4" by 6" to place under two legs at each end. Makes sliding on a pre-finished wood or tile floor easy with no marks left behind. Must sweep the floor before you slide the rad. You don't want to drag a piece of sharp-edged scrap, a screw, or a nail under the carper.

If the floor is unfinished and there is more friction as a result, you want to be careful the radiator does not slip off the plywood. So I glue a 1/4" plywood on top of that with some holes for the radiator legs to set in.

Mr.Ed

P.S.
    I also have purchased shoes from Steeltoeshoe.com to protect my own feet from the damaging effects of cast iron radiators... Just sayin' :p
    Edward Young
    Retired HVAC Contractor from So. Jersey Shore.
    Cleaned & services first oil heating system at age 16
    LS123branimalluketheplumber
  • branimal
    branimal Member Posts: 128
    Thanks guys.  I’ll buy some hardwood floor sliders.  And remove them once the rad is in place.
    ethicalpaul