Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator too hot! Put a wooden box on it?

Options
chuckadoo
chuckadoo Member Posts: 30
We have a tenant with a one pipe steam radiator that is too hot. My “higher ups” want to build a box around it. I suggested a TRV. The box won. This seems like a crazy way to fix the problem. Does anyone know the pros and cons to enclosing a steam radiator? Thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    It’s done all the time.
    Pros, less heat.
    Cons, probably will look ugly.
    steve
  • chuckadoo
    Options
    Do you have experience with TRVs with vacuum break? Do they work? TRV would be cheaper than building a box
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    How about just installing an adjustable vent?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • chuckadoo
    Options
    An adjustable would only slow down the temperature rise in radiator? But radiator would still get to temperature, correct? Doesn’t a TRV “hold” the desired temperature in radiator? 
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A TRV is the better method, but may not be necessary. The key to a properly functioning one pipe system is BALANCING the venting correctly.

If the venting was correct, the radiator would heat up at a rate that's commensurate with the heat loss and therefore provide a comfortable heating cycle.

If the boiler pressure, main venting, and venting rate of others rads in the system is not right, then you'll have trouble getting the venting right on any particular rad.

The system has to be balanced.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    chuckadooSTEVEusaPAvincentac1
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    chuckadoo said:

An adjustable would only slow down the temperature rise in radiator? But radiator would still get to temperature, correct? Doesn’t a TRV “hold” the desired temperature in radiator? 

A TRV can only close the vent on a radiator, which only alters the output if and when the system cycles. As @Ironman said, you must get the system balanced properly with the venting first.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    The box is foolproof, I don't hate it
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Here's more info on how radiator covers affect heat distribution: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/radiator-covers/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Some years (+5?) ago there was a story here about a start up company that made the equivalent of a "teapot cozy" cover for CI rads. It put the rad inside a "dog house" with a small fan.
    There was WIFI control of the fan for temp regulation of the room.
    You could change temps with your smart phone from anywhere.

It may have been a newspaper/magazine article reprinted here that did feature Dan with the start up people for the launching of production.
    I thought the project was going to get off the ground.
    Zman
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I think I need some clarity from the OP on exactly what the issue is here. Is the room being overheated, or is a tenant concerned about a steam radiator injuring someone because it's "too hot"?

If it's the second one, no control will address that and you are left with an enclosure as the only option.

I only ask because we have had many people come here with concerns about burning.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Mosherd1
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,836
    Options
    A decent cabinet maker (Pro or Hobiest) could make a nice box with adjustable openings to regulate the overheating radiator. Isn't that what the little damper is for on those inexpensive copper tube aluminum fin baseboard radiators?

Just trying to think outside the box.

Yours Truly,
    Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,836
    Options
    Maybe I should think Inside the box That is where the adjustment should. (Pun intended.)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Some years (+5?) ago there was a story here about a start up company that made the equivalent of a "teapot cozy" cover for CI rads. It put the rad inside a "dog house" with a small fan.
    There was WIFI control of the fan for temp regulation of the room.
    You could change temps with your smart phone from anywhere.

It may have been a newspaper/magazine article reprinted here that did feature Dan with the start up people for the launching of production.
    I thought the project was going to get off the ground.

I think you're referring to The Cozy from Radiator Labs: https://www.radiatorlabs.com/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com