Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rats!!....or should I say chipmunk!

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
Found this fella cooking in my AC. Don't know what made me walk by and look in, although I did smell it before I saw it. Was 'glued' to the fan blade.

steve
SuperTech

Comments

• Poor little guy : (
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    ethicalpaul
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I bet that ruined his whole day!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUTluketheplumber
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    My neighbor showed me a wire harness that was chewed up in his Ford truck. Squirrel. Apparently this is a known issue. The insulation on wires are soy based and squirrels love them.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Self inflicted cruel and unusual punishment.
    I wonder how long it took for the circuit to open on high head pressure if it has a HPS.
    Did something stop a Trane?
    STEVEusaPAluketheplumberSuperTech
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    HVACNUT said:

I saw what you did there. :smiley:
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    My aunt was in her mid 80s and complained of a smell when the furnace ran. She had a gas hot water heater and a gas furnace both with draft hoods.

I ran the furnace and everything checked out ok. Her son thought she had slipped a gear.

I was about to leave but I tried the water heater and the fumes billowed out the draft hood. A squirrel had come down the chimney and was stuck in the water heater flue pipe dead of course.

If he had tried the furnace flue which was 6" he could have been in the basement no problem.

Maybe the furnace fired after he fell down the chimney and he looked for an escape route
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    HVACNUT said:

Self inflicted cruel and unusual punishment.

I wonder how long it took for the circuit to open on high head pressure if it has a HPS.

IT’s funny. 2 of the last 3 Trane condenser I fixed were rodent related.

I like how Trane at least gives you 4 dents in the fan mount Plate so you can use a step bit and drill holes for a universal $80 condenser fan motor rather than something like A $300 Trane motor.... probably just a rebadged Mars with odd bolt spacing nobody else’s uses.

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I just went to the same customer for the second and hopefully last time to clean mice out of the GV90+ fan and burner cone. UGH, it was nasty. Those fans are robust, and the boiler was still running with 2 mice wedged in it!! I fixed the air intake outside, so hopefully no more of that nasty stuff.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • DavidinKenai
    DavidinKenai Member Posts: 10
    I design and install water treatment systems at toxic waste sites. One system in Berkeley, CA used a 2-hp air compressor intermittently. There was a fan guard around the fan belts. (Working backwards), a rat wiggled in to chew on the fan belt and was there when it restarted. Instant rat tartare. Which attracted another rat. And the resulted rat jerky attracted more. There were the mushed remains of 6 or 7 inside the fan guard. The tech doing the monthly O&M that month was not amused and, in a possibly related development, she quit the job the next month.

Another system in Red Bluff, CA drained intermittently to sewer through 4-inch ABS pipe. Somehow it backed up. How could treated, clean water back up in a 4-inch pipe? Well, when a ground squirrel couple sets up housekeeping and tries to raise a family . . . .
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Or maybe it was this?!
  • brand271
    brand271 Member Posts: 1

Found this fella cooking in my AC. Don't know what made me walk by and look in, although I did smell it before I saw it. Was 'glued' to the fan blade. :)

it's squirrel i usually feed them in my backyard so that they don't enter in my house for foods.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2022
    brand271 said:

it's squirrel i usually feed them in my backyard so that they don't enter in my house for foods.

This is your first post? A reply on a 2+ year thread?
    It's a chipmunk...and the unit is obviously outside.
    steve
    GGross
  • Peter_26
    Peter_26 Member Posts: 129
    :D:D:D