Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why so many people on HeatingHelp all of a sudden?

I'm used to seeing 40 or 50 on line at any one time, but lately it's been over 200! It's a good thing!

Maybe all the hipsters and millennials trying to figure out the wiring on their new Nest thermostats?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
kcoppmattmia2luketheplumber

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Right now when I look it shows only 4 on line......none of you 4 that just posted and not myself??????

A little time ago it showed about 80 guests?????
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks for being here everyone!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
    Maybe it is Russian bots driving wedge issues like "favorite toilet" and "best hot water heater". :p

Or, Maybe the next gen is starting to buy their first homes.
    mattmia2CLambluketheplumber
  • Formerly
    Formerly Member Posts: 79
    Lots of people over their heads on home reno's during COVID... ;)
    icy78luketheplumber
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    More home projects lately . Disney World or family room ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    edited June 2020
    How about one of the more obvious reasons (@Erin Holohan): great website management. :)
    Erin Holohan HaskellAlan (California Radiant) Forbesluketheplumber
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Wellness said:

How about one of the more obvious reasons (@Erin Holohan): great website management. :)

Thank you. And thanks to you all for being so generous in sharing your knowledge and helping others. This community is what makes Heating Help special and we are very grateful to know and learn from you.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited June 2020
    Everyone's broke and they want to fix their stuff themselves and don't want to hire a Pro. I don't blame them, you Pro's are outrageously expensive. Despite price inflation, your labor prices are going to be going down as competition for jobs increases because of lack of work.

I saw this in 1980 when contractors were fighting for work.
    ZmanSuperTech
  • HarnessedPower
    HarnessedPower Member Posts: 10
    > @HomerJSmith said:
    > Everyone's broke and they want to fix their stuff themselves and don't want to hire a Pro. I don't blame them, you Pro's are outrageously expensive. Despite price inflation, your labor prices are going to be going down as competition for jobs increases because of lack of work.
    >
    > I saw this in 1980 when contractors were fighting for work.

That may be true in some areas but certainly not all. Around here (a two-city region of ~120,000), pros of every kind are booked out weeks and months in advance right now - so many people are taking on projects now that you couldn’t hire anyone for an immediate need if you tried. I know, because I recently called 11 different plumbers to have a 40’ gas line run. Trench already dug, holes already drilled, ready to go. Third week of August was the best I got - and he said that inspectors are even further out.

My new neighbor is a freelance carpenter and I talked to him about rebuilding my front porch. Just supporting the roof, then I’d do the demo of the old deck & dig for new footings. He’d frame out the new deck and roof supports, and I’d finish it myself. He said he’d love to....in October. He said he’s been working 80-90 hours a week since the first week of March and his biggest concern is how badly he’ll get dinged on taxes next year.

So....tons of homeowners have gone the DIY route, almost out of necessity, which I’m sure accounts for a lot of extra site traffic. Which is fantastic, as this site (and all of you frequent contributors) are an amazing free resource!
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    I completely agree with @Ironman. Very few people understand that Our pricing is based on many things especially our knowledge and expertise. Where not your driveway guarantee hacks we stand behind our work 100% which I know many of companies all say that but in my service area very few really stand true those standards.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    ChrisJSuperTech
  • HomerJSmith
    edited June 2020
    Look, I understand the amount of time and money to run a business with all the regulations and hoops that businesses have to jump thru and that one deserves compensation for one's work and knowledge. But, when it comes to feeding one's family or calling a plumber, one will try and fix it himself and getting advice on this forum.

I'm not saying that you don't have work and are backed up, now. I am saying that the greater depression will become more apparent with due consequences. You forgot 1980 with interest rates at 19% and the consequences affecting the building trades or what happened in the '30's. The thought is that tomorrow is going to be like today. True, It is, until is isn't. Pricing is based upon many things, yes, but that doesn't mean squat. Why are we seeing record bankruptcies? One has to understand "Supply and Demand". I know you think you know what it means in an Economy, but you don't, you don't even know how it is used. I'm not being mean, just stating my suspicion. I loved to be proved wrong.

I believe knowledge not shared is sin and all the knowledge you got in your getting, you got from someone else. So, I laud all of the contributors that share their knowledge. You are doing 'good' , and you are blessing others and that's a really big thing.

I have suffered all my life with a "Cassandra Complex" (look it up), so I don't force my views and expect a strong reaction to my unconventional thoughts. But...

Time sorts all things out!
    Zman
  • HomerJSmith
    edited June 2020
    EzzyT, I don't understand, "Where not your driveway guarantee hacks..."

On all my jobs, I give a comprehensive tail light warranty.
  • HomerJSmith
    Zman, what kind of blanket statement are we talking about?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    " you Pro's are outrageously expensive." is the blanket statement...
    I am curious what line of work you are in?

I think Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh had Cassandra Complex. If you always think the worst will happen, eventually it does.

" Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • HomerJSmith
    edited June 2020
    It is more a provocative statement than a blanket statement. There is no one that thinks that they over charge for their services and everyone think that they deserve more. Now that's a blanket statement. Provocative statements are there to get you to think.

No, "If you always think the worst will happen, eventually it does." Thinking has an infinitive range of possibilities and doesn't in any way create outcomes. All outcomes have causes, that's the way the universe works. Thinking of possibilities based upon probabilities is the way that the future is understood. We all do this, that's how business works. The difficulty is our misunderstanding of what the probabilities are that given past actions impact future events.

How prescient, Zman, I was just thinking of a broken watch keeping time twice a day, minutes ago. You read my mind or I yours. It's hard to tell.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    @Erin Holohan Haskell . Maybe time to close this thread. Lets summarize. More people on heating help, some people think pros are charging too much, some people think that pros are misunderstood and the economy stinks. Nuff said.
    HVACNUTZman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited June 2020
    I think just leave the money out of it. You know, like we're supposed to.

You cant reply to the question of the thread without considering economics, but don't go deep on it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    This thread has run its course. Let's move on. Thanks.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    STEAM DOCTORZmanGrallert
This discussion has been closed.