Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toilets

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
Looking for opinions on terlits.

Single flush?
Dual flush?
Pressure assist?
Vacuum?
1.6 vs 1.28?
What's your preference and why? What brand and why?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Toilets 23 votes

Toto
34%
Robert_25Alan (California Radiant) ForbesZmanTom_133mgene63PC7060AluvaboyGGross 8 votes
Kohler
30%
EBEBRATT-Edheatheaddelta TIntplm.ESGWheelBillyOMisterInvisible 7 votes
American standard
13%
MikeL_2JUGHNEratio 3 votes
Gerber
21%
kcoppHillyStekayStetSuperTech 5 votes
Zurn
0%
Niagra
0%
Cheapest thing big box store had
0%

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Toto
    I like Toto. Have only had experience with the 1.6 gpm simple models.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    > @Zman said:
    > I like Toto. Have only had experience with the 1.6 gpm simple models.

Like the Drake?
    What bad experience?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Toto
    Yes the Drake.
    The older Kohlers flushed poorly. Not much of a fan of the Home Depot specials.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Tall, elongated, dual flush. This Mansfield is what I have as the latest install, works fine for the $$

I like the one piece best, but hard to find a bargain priced one with the options I like.

If dirt were dollars I'd have a Toto with those high tech seats, the digital heated, bidet, blower version :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross
  • mikedo
    mikedo Member Posts: 174
    pressure assit in you can deal with the noise and price they break down more but move the poo poo out well. daul flush i refuse to work on them. last time i told a customer whatever you do don't buy a daul flusher. he bought one said his wife really wanted it. 2 weeks later it broke i told him to throw it out and go buy something else. he was not a happy camper
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Gerber
    Like the Gerber line.
    Cant find Gerber in a big box store.
    I like simple.
    Gravity flush.
    I am selling A Lot of Ergo height toilets.
    2pc... CANT stand these new 1 pc. Skirted toilets that the design folks are pushing.
    1.6 gpf if you can get them.
    They are starting to see drain cleaning issues from the lack of water pushing everything down stream...
    This is especially in older homes.
    rick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    > @kcopp said:
    > Like the Gerber line.
    > Cant find Gerber in a big box store.
    > I like simple.
    > Gravity flush.
    > I am selling A Lot of Ergo height toilets.
    > 2pc... CANT stand these new 1 pc. Skirted toilets that the design folks are pushing.
    > 1.6 gpf if you can get them.
    > They are starting to see drain cleaning issues from the lack of water pushing everything down stream...
    > This is especially in older homes.

I was highly considering a 1.6 Toto Drake but @Zman mentioned having issues.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Gerber
    Never used one...
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Kohler
    Al Bundy was always partial to his Ferguson
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    > @BillyO said:
    > Al Bundy was always partial to his Ferguson

That was Archie Bunker no?
  • ChrisJ
  • ESGWheel
    ESGWheel Member Posts: 23
    Kohler
    LMAO and i mean that in a good way. Let me explain:
    My house came with the 'construction grade' Kolher toilets, circa 1995. They were crap, no pun intended. I called them "3 Flush Toilets." Over the years i experimented on my friends and family when they were replacing their toilets. So i got to at least try out the pressure assist, dual flush and low flow. While i did not have to live with any of them, i can say nothing impressed me.

Frustrated with my 3 Flush requirement I finally had the resources to replace my three construction grade toilets. So searching around, i was impressed, at least with the marking aspect, of the Kolher "Class Five" flushing. So i took a chance and initially got just one. And WOW does it perform! I have not had one clogged toilet (a normal occasion because the rest of the family would not listen to me about the 3 flush protocols). Well that is not entirely true. I purposely tried to clog it one time. And to no surprise when you use the excessive amount of TP as I did in my experiment replete with all the other ingredients, any toilet would clog.

Normally i am, how to say this, a consumer of lots of TP, and other then when trying to clog it, it simply does not.

This may sound a little odd: but my wife gives me, well crap, for gleefully watching it all go down when i am done. I am still tickled pink that it all goes down with the one flush.

Height, round or elongated, all just a preference and only your rump can tell.

But for simple, no nonsense, it will always go down, the Kolher Class 5 cannot be beat. The model with this i choose: K-3575-47
  • ChrisJ
    > @ESGWheel said:
    > LMAO and i mean that in a good way. Let me explain:
    > My house came with the 'construction grade' Kolher toilets, circa 1995. They were crap, no pun intended. I called them "3 Flush Toilets." Over the years i experimented on my friends and family when they were replacing their toilets. So i got to at least try out the pressure assist, dual flush and low flow. While i did not have to live with any of them, i can say nothing impressed me.
    >
    > Frustrated with my 3 Flush requirement I finally had the resources to replace my three construction grade toilets. So searching around, i was impressed, at least with the marking aspect, of the Kolher "Class Five" flushing. So i took a chance and initially got just one. And WOW does it perform! I have not had one clogged toilet (a normal occasion because the rest of the family would not listen to me about the 3 flush protocols). Well that is not entirely true. I purposely tried to clog it one time. And to no surprise when you use the excessive amount of TP as I did in my experiment replete with all the other ingredients, any toilet would clog.
    >
    > Normally i am, how to say this, a consumer of lots of TP, and other then when trying to clog it, it simply does not.
    >
    > This may sound a little odd: but my wife gives me, well crap, for gleefully watching it all go down when i am done. I am still tickled pink that it all goes down with the one flush.
    >
    > Height, round or elongated, all just a preference and only your rump can tell.
    >
    > But for simple, no nonsense, it will always go down, the Kolher Class 5 cannot be beat. The model with this i choose: K-3575-47

I have the older version of that, infact it's what I'm replacing and it's terrible. I'm talking take it easy with single ply or you're plunging.

I've heard the newer Kohlers are fantastic though.

It would allow me to continue using the term "Rollin Kohl-er" as well. Similar to Rollin coal only, well, you get it.
  • ESGWheel
    ESGWheel Member Posts: 23
    Kohler
    LOL.... and after a lot of years on a submarine i refuse to use single ply! Its bad enough i have to be subjected in the RV (single ply required for different reasons). I would be happy to take a video and send to you if that is possible. While some may consider it a dirty video, it will be, but in a good way :p
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    American standard
    I was the American Standard vote.
    Only because I no longer install WC's for anyone else.
    Over the last several years I replaced 3 of my 1995 WC's with different generations of AS. Pretty good luck even with 1.28.
    This is the brand that my supplier handles and will deliver here.

Previously had 3.5 Eljer's that were just OK.
    One was 1 piece and a total loser, one had leaking base under the WC.

One Eljer remains in the basement and functional but is a designer color of some version of grey.
    Jakek
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Kohler
    Kohler gets my vote. Ive installed pretty much all brands.

For performance, ease of installation. Full product line quality is second to none. Customer service has been very good.

Kohler toilets are my first choice.
    I have installed hundreds. Maybe a thousand by now?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    American standard
    Our last toilet had issues. I mean, I'd have to have the plunger in hand before I flushed. I ended up getting the middling-high end American Standard from the local big box store, and I haven't been this impressed with a purchase from there, ever. It's managed to flush everything thrown at it to date. With ten of us in the house, that's quite a lot. And some are boys, so the 'thrown' is more literal than one might hope.
  • ChrisJ
    > @ratio said:
    > Our last toilet had issues. I mean, I'd have to have the plunger in hand before I flushed. I ended up getting the middling-high end American Standard from the local big box store, and I haven't been this impressed with a purchase from there, ever. It's managed to flush everything thrown at it to date. With ten of us in the house, that's quite a lot. And some are boys, so the 'thrown' is more literal than one might hope.

Besides flushing bowl rinsing is also a big deal....

How's the bowl rinse?
  • ratio
    American standard
    I'd not call it stellar, but surprisingly good for how short the flush is. It's rare that I feel it necessary to order a thorough cleaning, if that helps. There's been some …stomach issues… here lately, too.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    ESGWheel said:

LMAO and i mean that in a good way. Let me explain:
    My house came with the 'construction grade' Kolher toilets, circa 1995. They were crap, no pun intended. I called them "3 Flush Toilets."

We have some commercial Kohlers of that era at work. They also
    perform poorly. I think Kohler just hadn't done their homework at that point.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    The earliest versions were more accurately called "presentation platters" They held about a shot glass capacity water seal, not a pretty sight. The size of the water spot is as important as the flush.

The power flush were a must for public restrooms, good flush and scrubbing action. Up until they started exploding under high water pressure conditions :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I’m a retired plumber, the only toilets I set these days are my own properties. I’ve got Toto Drake at my office, I don’t really love the way they look. I’ve got American Standard at my house, I think they look nicer. Power flush toilets, I guess they flush everything that you put in them. But they sure do make a mess of the toilet. I would not buy this for my own house or property.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    > @GW said:
    > I’m a retired plumber, the only toilets I set these days are my own properties. I’ve got Toto Drake at my office, I don’t really love the way they look. I’ve got American Standard at my house, I think they look nicer. Power flush toilets, I guess they flush everything that you put in them. But they sure do make a mess of the toilet. I would not buy this for my own house or property.

What would you buy?
    Just a best guess is fine, I understand you don't own others.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I’m happy with American Standard. I’m doing a renovation at my house, finishing off a big chunk of the basement. Modern bathroom. I bought another American standard. I think it’s like buying a car, they all do what they were intended to do. Little preferences kick in here and there I guess.

I don’t think I ever really bought into the advantages of a two button flusher. I guess it’s cool. I have never installed one of those.

If I ever hit the big bucks and build myself some sort of a mini mansion I would like to get one of those wall hung toilets . They seem very modern very sleek, upscale.There is a lot of hardware necessary to hang those though. Would be difficult to do in an existing bathroom.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with, but once you get used to a 17/18 inch tall toilet, elongated, there really is no going back. I think that has become sort of the standard these days.The standard height round toilets are really funky once you get used to the taller longer ones, And I am a more slender guy, LOL.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Kohler
    I like the look of the Kohler 2 piece. Replaced all 3 in a deal. The toilet would stop up more than I would have liked, That is until I learned how to flush them. Reading on the wall one day someone here taught me how to properly flush a toilet. I know weird but someone said to hold flush handle down and not let go right away. I love the toilets now. I am very mechanically inclined but didn't think to hold handle down and wait. When I tried it worked, my wife though I was crazy when I told her how to use the toilets. I guess she always held the handle down and waited. Have a toto but as hotrod says look for toilet with lots of water area in bowl. The toto I have is 8 years old and never clogs but it gets the stains on the beach and not in the ocean. Going to chair height and elongated bowl is all I will buy. Unless little kids where in the house. But with all the home quarantine time the main sewer line got clogged. I don't know if just more use or thicker toilet paper. PS if you rent a drain cleaner that doesn't have a plastic cage around the cable use duck tape to encase the cable drum so stuff doesn't get all over. I guess ridged has a patent on drum that holds cable that is enclosed so stuff doesn't fly when drum turns.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    American standard
    Years ago when 2 teenage boys had rooms in the basement, their 3.5 Eljer would consistently almost run over.
    We set the rule that you flush before "the paper work" and then again after. This took care of most problems.

An advantage to the low flush WC's is that the bowl, if plugged, will hold all the water in the tank......not running over .
  • mattmia2
    heathead said:

I like the look of the Kohler 2 piece. Replaced all 3 in a deal. The toilet would stop up more than I would have liked, That is until I learned how to flush them. Reading on the wall one day someone here taught me how to properly flush a toilet. I know weird but someone said to hold flush handle down and not let go right away. I love the toilets now. I am very mechanically inclined but didn't think to hold handle down and wait.

Many Kohlers have a little float on the chain that keeps the flapper open for a prescribed amount of water(standard flappers and tank balls do it with a dome in the bottom of the flapper or tank ball which releases most of the water in the tank until the level falls below the opening in the flapper). It has to be set correctly when the flapper is replaced for it to release the specified amount of water. Either yours isn't set correctly or you are holding the flapper open longer so it is releasing more water than specified.
    rick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Many Kohlers have a little float on the chain that keeps the flapper open for a prescribed amount of water(standard flappers and tank balls do it with a dome in the bottom of the flapper or tank ball which releases most of the water in the tank until the level falls below the opening in the flapper). It has to be set correctly when the flapper is replaced for it to release the specified amount of water. Either yours isn't set correctly or you are holding the flapper open longer so it is releasing more water than specified.

Nope, what he's describing is exactly how both of my parents Kohlers from 2007 behave. They work ok but not great unless you hold the handle down. Many have described the same thing. To be honest I don't think those even have flappers.
  • Intplm.
    Kohler
    Kohler. Have had no trouble with trip levers triggering the flapper for flushing performance.
    The most recent kohler models sometimes do not even need any adjustment . They seem to be coming from the factory ready to go with little to no adjustment needed
    ChrisJ said:

> @mattmia2 said:

> (Quote)

> Many Kohlers have a little float on the chain that keeps the flapper open for a prescribed amount of water(standard flappers and tank balls do it with a dome in the bottom of the flapper or tank ball which releases most of the water in the tank until the level falls below the opening in the flapper). It has to be set correctly when the flapper is replaced for it to release the specified amount of water. Either yours isn't set correctly or you are holding the flapper open longer so it is releasing more water than specified.

Nope, what he's describing is exactly how both of my parents Kohlers from 2007 behave. They work ok but not great unless you hold the handle down. Many have described the same thing. To be honest I don't think those even have flappers.

• Intplm.
    Kohler
    And you are correct. The newest models do not use a flapper. They use a rising/falling cylinder.
    BillyO
  • mattmia2
    They come from the factory adjusted properly, but when the flapper is replaced it has to be adjusted the same as the original.
    Intplm.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Intplm. said:

And you are correct. The newest models do not use a flapper. They use a rising/falling cylinder.

Have a very old toilet "made in Switzerland" like that.The cylinder mechanism uses an annular rubber washer that is not all that easy to find at plumbing supply.
    Fill valve is adjustable.
  • ChrisJ
    I kind of need to know how different toilets from right now compare.

I'm trying to convince the wife to go with this one. This is from a message I sent her.
    ratio
  • ratio
    American standard
    Maybe 'on to' would sit better?
    rick in Alaska
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,796
    If that has the 3" tower-style flush valve I think it does, it should be a good flusher.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
    Consulting
  • mattmia2
    My friend has that model from about 2007. it is the one with the adjustable flapper. You have to hold the handle to empty the tank if you want it to clear the bowl reliably. unless it has changed in design since 2007 my review would be it is ok but not great. Those are available with a number of different flush valve options. Maybe some of the other options work better or maybe they have made the trapway better since 2007. Also in Ann Arbor water the plastic the kohler branded flapper is made out of lasts about 3-4 years.

I believe it uses this flapper https://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/toilet-flappers/637980.htm
  • ChrisJ
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > My friend has that model from about 2007. it is the one with the adjustable flapper. You have to hold the handle to empty the tank if you want it to clear the bowl reliably. unless it has changed in design since 2007 my review would be it is ok but not great. Those are available with a number of different flush valve options. Maybe some of the other options work better or maybe they have made the trapway better since 2007. Also in Ann Arbor water the plastic the kohler branded flapper is made out of lasts about 3-4 years.
    >
    > I believe it uses this flapper https://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/toilet-flappers/637980.htm

No,
    All of the recent Kohlers do not use flappers. It says right on it "Aquapiston"
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    edited June 2020
    Kohler
    Chris,

That is the toilet I have three of. If you hold the handle down and wait it's a good toilet. If you don't I wouldn't get that toilet. The weird thing on that toilet is the bowel is the same for 1.6 gal per flush and the 1.2 gal model. Tank has different part numbers. I like gadgets and with kids the lighted toilet seat they make is cool for them. I just need to change the Battery's every 6 months. Yes they have the aqua piston flush system.
    ChrisJ
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Toto
    Keep it simple. We have had great luck with the Toto units where I work. The maintenance guys speak highly of them.

Also, Delta is not on your list, but two years ago I had a bathroom remodeled in our guest cottage and the contractor installed a 1.28 gpf Delta toilet. That one has surprised me - no issues at all, and it refills very quickly.
    ChrisJ