Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toilets

Options
2»

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,965
    Options
    Kohler
    ChrisJ said:

I kind of need to know how different toilets from right now compare.

I'm trying to convince the wife to go with this one. This is from a message I sent her.

Go for it. It will be the best seat in the house.
    ChrisJ
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    American standard
    We prefer the American Standard Champion 4 or Vormax. They have a larger and fully glazed trapway; I think it reduces friction. The outlet at the horn is also bigger than most brands, I've measured it at as much as 2 5/8 ". We recently installed a Gerber Viper on the recommendation of a friend; it flushed well and was much less expensive than the Standard......
    ChrisJ
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Toto
    ChrisJ said:

I kind of need to know how different toilets from right now compare.

I'm trying to convince the wife to go with this one. This is from a message I sent her.

That is the toilet we have had in our upstairs bathroom for the last 9 years. It flushes well and has not required any repairs, although the flush handle does seem to be on the small side and take a little more effort to operate. Kohler also makes a large pedestal sink in the same collection.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with the American Standard Optum VorMax that has the dual flush valves?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Kohler
    I've decided to stay away from dual flush options. They just dont seem to be necessary in todays most modern low flush toilets.
    They might have been a nice option in the past, but with the improved low flush options of today? I really dont see the value.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Intplm. said:

I've decided to stay away from dual flush options. They just dont seem to be necessary in todays most modern low flush toilets.
    They might have been a nice option in the past, but with the improved low flush options of today? I really dont see the value.

The American Standard Optum VorMax isn't that type of dual flush.

It literally has dual flush valves that both dump at the same time. I think one feeds the bowl rinse and the other feeds the actual flush.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Options

• ChrisJ
    Options
    I suppose it's more on the complicated side but it's got nothing on the 1968 Vent Away I have.
    ratio
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

I suppose it's more on the complicated side but it's got nothing on the 1968 Vent Away I have.

There is a place here that was built by the late Carl Wynn of the oil products fame that had those in it. There were three of them in the house and every year when I went to de-winterize it I was afraid there would be some part of that linkage or seal that would fail. Can't imagine how much water that thing used when it was functional. Sadly, all of them have been removed and modern toilets put in. That house was top of the line when it was built.
    Rick
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    American standard
    ChrisJ, how well does the vent-away really work?

Does it vent the bowl air (gases) down the drain pipe before the water enters?
  • Peter Marino
    Peter Marino Member Posts: 19
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

LOL! I kept my vent-away going up until about 5 yrs ago. Parts were getting hard to come by. Very stylish looking (IMO).

Went over to TOTO drake (from a suggestion on this board) Haven't had a problem with it. I'm very satified with it's ability to flush solid contents completely.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

ChrisJ, how well does the vent-away really work?

Does it vent the bowl air (gases) down the drain pipe before the water enters?

ChrisJ said:

LOL! I kept my vent-away going up until about 5 yrs ago. Parts were getting hard to come by. Very stylish looking (IMO).

Went over to TOTO drake (from a suggestion on this board) Haven't had a problem with it. I'm very satified with it's ability to flush solid contents completely.
    I haven't got it working yet.
    Maybe Peter can comment on that?
    JUGHNE
  • Peter Marino
    Peter Marino Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Your supposed to pull the button out to start venting. As you begin to evacuate your bowels. Then press it in to flush. My vent button was non-functioning and I tried to fix it but had too many other projects at time. It flushed fine so we used it without the venting feature.
    https://www.plumbingsupply.com/american_standard_ventaway_toilet_seats.html

At the start of Vent-Away action, water is drawn out of a trap in the Vent-Away by a jet aspirator. Within ten seconds a vacuum is created which draws air (and odors) back through holes in the flushing rim of the toilet bowl. The air carries all the odors with it, into the discharge outlet of the toilet. The odors are then expelled through the vent pipe... out of the bathroom.

To Start Vent-Away action, pull flushing button outward, or raise trip lever. In approximately ten seconds ventilating action will begin.

To Stop Vent-Away action, push the flushing button in or lever down. This will stop the ventilating action and produce a flush cycle. The button or lever returns to neutral position.

To Flush without using Vent-Away, push the flushing button in or lever down in the normal manner. Toilet bowl can be flushed at any time without using the ventilator.
  • Stet
    Stet Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Gerber
    Gerber Viper in Action, 1.6 Reasonably priced and never had a problem with any that I have installed. Fluidmaster ballcock. No outlandish fancy flush valve.

https://youtu.be/FalvA10CYxY
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Kohler
    Still the best seat in the house.
    ChrisJ
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Kohler
    Or, if you get a cheapy toilet...
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    > @Intplm. said:
    > Still the best seat in the house.(Image)

Rollin' Kohl-er.
    Intplm.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,005
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Toto
    That's one way to wash your baby carrots!

I've always recommended Toto and it's been awhile since I installed a Kohler. Maybe I need to try out a Kohler, but I just didn't like having to tote a 5-gallon bucket of Kohler flappers to service all the different models. Toto has one universal flapper and one universal ballcock.

Also, Toto makes it easier for the service person by clearly printing the model number on the inside of the tank and listing parts for that model on a label under the lid.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Kohler
    Went to kennedy space center a couple of weeks back to see the launch. Was able to do a limited tour of the place and saw these.
    So this is how you go to the toilet in space.These are not used here on earth. They are toilets used in outer space.

• Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    Intplm. said:

Went to kennedy space center a couple of weeks back to see the launch. Was able to do a limited tour of the place and saw these.
    So this is how you go to the toilet in space.These are not used here on earth. They are toilets used in outer space...

Weren't those designed by Howard Wolowitz? :)

https://bigbangtheory.fandom.com/wiki/Wolowitz_Zero-Gravity_Waste_Disposal_System
    Intplm.Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Kohler
    Yes but these didn't
    malfunction
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,667
    Options
    So did whirlpool make the space toilet because sears forced them to buy the company that made sears's vacuum cleaners and other small appliances?
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Toto
    I only voted Toto because Mansfield was not on the list. You can find some at a few big box stores, but they are not a "cheap" toilet.