Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSI

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
edited May 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
We do some amazing investigation work on heating systems in our houses and for our customers. Do you think the rigorous training that we've had and the accumulation of knowledge help us in everyday life? Do we try to troubleshoot interpersonal relationships, difficulties with our families or politics as hard or as well as a broken boiler?

Or do we focus on the things we do best? A guy I know once said, "Hydronics taught me to be curious." and curiosity certainly drives our interests.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2020

...Do you think the rigorous training that we've had and the accumulation of knowledge help us in everyday life? Do we try to troubleshoot interpersonal relationships, difficulties with our families or politics as hard or as well as a broken boiler?...

I think the troubleshooter's mindset is an invaluable tool for life, and I apply it to many facets of my life-mechanical, medical, etc.
    With a large extended family and my personal philosophy that no one should be in the hospital alone (everyone needs an advocate on their side), I've spent some time 'troubleshooting' with doctors.
    That, and a good chess player's approach-spending more time thinking thru all the variables before making your move(s). Always good to have a plan.
    Both have served me pretty well.
    steve
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited May 2020
    It certainly promotes 'critical thinking', and any 'thinking' is a benefit in any area of life, when most people don't think. Thinking is an asset. As Thomas Sowell said...

"The problem isn't that Johnny can't read. The problem isn't even that Johnny can't think. The problem is that Johnny doesn't know what thinking is; he confuses it with feeling."

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule. eg. 80%
    of the the work in any corporation is done by 20% of the people.

80% of the population are feelers and 20% are thinkers, which is why we get the government we deserve.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesTinmanZmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I tried to troubleshoot personal relationships that way. I was told to stop :D
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesHVACNUT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    HAHAHA @Zman Love that comment!!!!
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    I am retired more than 15 years. I found at some of my consultations that I knew to much. That caused me to lose track of the keep it simple approach. After I realized my short comings
    I then put Dan's book the Lost Art of Steam Heating in my attache case and when I found that I knew to much I would take a coffee break and review my notes as to what I thought may be a problem I would read the selected topic to get my brain in gear.

When I was employed I would call my boss and discuss my findings and the corrective items needed to fix the problem. Most often the problem was water retention in the end of the steam main or clogged returns and some times in old boilers crud deposits in the bottom of the boilers circulating legs.

When you have no one to discuss a problem with and you are on your own you need to humble your self and refer to something to get back on track.

MY reputation with with my customers was based on this one statement, if I am wrong there will be no charge and will do the repair for free. I got burnt twice in 20 years. This method of operation got me a stellar reputation. What made this type of operation important was, Dan recommended me to his customers when he was to busy to service them.

Jake
    ratioZman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Agree with all of the above -- thinking things through (and, for me, visualizing how things are -- or are not -- working) is invaluable.

But...

The other thing along a similar line which has saved me -- quite literally -- more than once is... always have a Plan B prepared and ready to execute, if (when?) Plan A goes sour.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    A little while ago out of the blue my wife asked me what color her eyes were. I said I didn't know. That was the wrong answer so apparently I wasn't thinking critically. Then she said " you know what color they are you just won't say" Not thinking critically but fast I said your right and now I'm never going to tell you.