Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Yoga Pipe

Seen it in new construction. Good Gawd man! In short PeX for refrigeration
Weed wakers, U-V resistant?, Pressures,fastening system. Approvals?

Whats your 2 Cents? How did this make it into the trade

Comments

• Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    50 year life expectancy? Don't think I would bury it in a wall.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

50 year life expectancy? Don't think I would bury it in a wall.

Why?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Mr. McGuire said it in 1967! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dug-G9xVdVs
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Intplm.
  • Jolly Bodger
    @ChrisJ Why the limited life expectancy? What causes it to degrade?

Also: nails.
  • ChrisJ

@ChrisJ Why the limited life expectancy? What causes it to degrade?

Also: nails.

The life expectancy of copper is generally considered 50 years as well. Copper also doesn't resist nails very well either. I suspect that's where their number comes from. It doesn't necessarily mean it won't go 100+. That said, with the average life of the garbage equipment being installed and musical refrigerants I don't see it being an issue. A new lineset will probably be run within 15-20 years.

I'm not saying I'm for plastic refrigeration piping and linesets.
    But, as of right now I also do not see any actual problems either which is why I asked.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulCanucker
  • Jolly Bodger
    @ChrisJ and those are reasons I would try to not bury a lineset at all. I agree that Tech progresses and equipment does not last. I will let others be the guinea pigs and join in when it becomes a time tested tech. polybutene pipe and aluminum wire come to mind.
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2019

@ChrisJ and those are reasons I would try to not bury a lineset at all. I agree that Tech progresses and equipment does not last. I will let others be the guinea pigs and join in when it becomes a time tested tech. polybutene pipe and aluminum wire come to mind.

Aluminum wire is perfectly fine and used all around us. Look up at any power lines around you.

Improper installation procedures is what caused the failure in home wiring.

I cannot blame you for waiting.
  • Jolly Bodger
    @ChrisJ Yes, Aluminum wiring is good for feeders but not allowed for branch circuits. I agree, install and application make a big difference.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    > @BDR529 said:
    > Seen it in new construction. Good Gawd man! In short PeX for refrigeration
    > Weed wakers, U-V resistant?, Pressures,fastening system. Approvals?
    >
    > Whats your 2 Cents? How did this make it into the trade

Got a link?
  • ChrisJ
    pecmsg said:

> @BDR529 said:

> Seen it in new construction. Good Gawd man! In short PeX for refrigeration

> Weed wakers, U-V resistant?, Pressures,fastening system. Approvals?

>

> Whats your 2 Cents? How did this make it into the trade

Got a link?

https://www.yogapipe.com/
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    The problem with aluminum branch circuit wiring was not the wire itself but that wiring devices not suitable for use with it were listed as suitable for use with it.(and even with suitable devices, the talent to install those devices properly wasn't available).
    ChrisJCanucker
  • Jolly Bodger
    and the fact that just R&R the device would weaken the wire
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ

and the fact that just R&R the device would weaken the wire

Rest and relaxation?

• Jolly Bodger
    @ChrisJ Remove and Reinstall.
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281

Mr. McGuire said it in 1967! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dug-G9xVdVs

So true..
  • BDR529
    Handy homeowner loves these new products!

• ChrisJ
    edited December 2019
    > @BDR529 said:
    > Handy homeowner loves these new products!

Yes, it's not like the propress or pex industry isn't booming with contractors eh? And we all know everyone is running cast iron for drains....... Only handy homeowners are running easy PVC........

I'm all for these threads if they're about sharing facts and experiences and are kept respectful.
    Intplm.CanuckerDZoro
  • BDR529
    No, the problem is not just the handy homeowners as we know.

Have seen the line set taken out with the weed wacker. Thats not the only guy with a trimmer and/or landscape company.

• mattmia2
    It is undoubtedly about the price of copper...
  • mattmia2
    Apparently they didn't read the part of the manual about arranging the lineset so that the oil returns to the compressor...
    https://www.yogapipe.com/yogapipe/images/YogaPipe_ACR.jpg
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

Apparently they didn't read the part of the manual about arranging the lineset so that the oil returns to the compressor...
    https://www.yogapipe.com/yogapipe/images/YogaPipe_ACR.jpg

Depends on the velocity through the suction line.
    mattmia2
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I saw some flex refrig pipe today and was gonna take a picture and show the leak but I didn't you have to take my word for it. All this means is that anybody can run pipe now. But can they replace the compressor when it fails?
    Ironmanmattmia2