Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electrical? What's this

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm guessing it is sone sort of delay switch?

It's in a enclosure box along with a 120-volt relay that goes to the zone switch relay. When I turn off power to the boiler and it's components it seems to take an extra three or four minutes before the boiler powers back up.

Triangle two boiler, SR50110 switching relay

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Looks like a time delay relay.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Solid state time delay relay.

May have been put there due to frequent short term power outages.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • CBRob
    Thanks guys.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    Anti short cycle timer. Without the model number it's hard to tell how long the delay is & the exact function, but basically once it's off it stays off for a certain amount of time— often 5 minutes. More often seen on air conditioners.
    CBRob
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Probably a delay on restart, will start normally but if powered down will not restart for perhaps 5 minutes. Prevents short cycling. Often built into stat for AC protection.

Then there is delay on start, during normal operation if called to start there will be a delay for starting. Power companies like these as it staggers the starting load during a power outage of more than 5 minutes.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited November 2019
    JUGHNE said:

Probably a delay on restart, will start normally but if powered down will not restart for perhaps 5 minutes. Prevents short cycling. Often built into stat for AC protection.

Then there is delay on start, during normal operation if called to start there will be a delay for starting. Power companies like these as it staggers the starting load during a power outage of more than 5 minutes.

The MCBA3 series controllers had trouble with brownout conditions. Triangle tube had a service bulletin for this delay-on relay fix.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    HVACNUTCBRobSTEVEusaPA
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    I remenber seeing a delay like that used on a triangle tube the owner said they installed for when the generator was running said it some how steadied the hertz out and prevented the unit from getting a error code ,but I had also seen some one do the same thing using a small resistive load like a small ceramic heater to give a small load on the generator to stead the hertz made sense to me but I have seen that same elsewhere Peace an$ good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    STEVEusaPA
  • CBRob
    Ahh

I was having a oh **** moment when I turned the boiler back on after s small repair.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    5 minutes is a long time when your nipples could cut glass. They do make TDR's with an adjustable time setting. Or you could bypass it.
    CBRob
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    HVACNUT said:

5 minutes is a long time when your nipples could cut glass. They do make TDR's with an adjustable time setting. Or you could bypass it.

There are adjustable Delay on Break Delay on make timers.