Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An electric whaaat?

nibs
nibs Member Posts: 511
Drive this one to the store for groceries. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumZxYjzx6M

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    nibs said:

Drive this one to the store for groceries. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumZxYjzx6M

In the HOV lane! o:)
  • nibs
    @ethicalpaul
    The guy never said what level of charge when they started running it.
    Also lets see a diesel powered machine work inside an enclosed space.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    As these things gain in popularity. They are going to be made to require some type of noise maker added so that people working near the operator will know the thing is running.
    Sort of like when the requirement for back up signals on vehicles was mandated.

Have heard the valet kid parking a Tesla say , "They are so quiet, they sneak up on you and can kill you.👂"
    wyo
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    nibs said:

@ethicalpaul
    The guy never said what level of charge when they started running it.
    Also lets see a diesel powered machine work inside an enclosed space.

The guy in the video on the original post is in a field :D
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    One size does not fit all... it's all about using the right machine, and the right technology, to get the job done, isn't it?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    That would be really nice for digging within a building. The exhaust is always an issue on those jobs.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nibs
    As battery technology develops the possibilities are awesome.
    Right now when RV friends ask me about PV systems I tell them my rule of thumb. For every dollar you spend on PV panels, spend two dollars on batteries.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    Neat and all, but I feel the usage would be very limited what with exhaust scrubbers and whatnot nowadays. A mini X with a scrubber could dig a hole in your living room and if it weren't for the view and vibration you'd never know it was there. Fresh air requirements for a modern ~30HP diesel are extremely minimal so makeup is generally pretty simple.
  • Jamie Hall
    nibs said:

As battery technology develops the possibilities are awesome.
    Right now when RV friends ask me about PV systems I tell them my rule of thumb. For every dollar you spend on PV panels, spend two dollars on batteries.

Still and all... it's going to be a while. I was running our skidder (750 hp cat diesel) pretty well full out all day today. Going to take one heck of a battery to even come close! The right tool and technology for the job...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nibs
    @Jamie Hall Have run a skidder, & you are right, it would take a lot of battery. On the other hand my garden tractor has been battery powered now for about 7 years using L/A batts.
    Last year I put a used 300 watt pv panel on the tractor and have not plugged in the charger for over a year now, it will push a lot of dirt and snow, did build an electric mower deck but it would not cut evenly so we scotched it,
  • Jamie Hall
    I've looked at electric garden tractors. When my nice little Massey gives up I'll look at them much more closely. I like the idea. What was the problem with the electric mower deck -- for future reference? I'd be looking at a 44 to 48 inch deck...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • nibs
    @Jamie Hall The mower deck was built by mounting 2 24V battery powered motors & blades salvaged from push mowers on an old two blade mower deck. It worked and cut grass as long as the lawn was quite flat, I set it up with the tractor pushing it, no room for a belly mower, and think it needed more castors and design work, we had bigger fish in the pan.
    The old Craftsman has seen major duty, has a set of forks on the front, hydraulic steering, a wheelbarrow body that mounts on the forks, used when we were mixing and pouring the foundations.
    It is right ugly but works, and with 240 lbs of batteries in a box behind the rear wheels has traction. It will pull an 8ft trailer loaded with firewood
    Anyroad this is way way OT.