Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding an indicator light to a circulator.

Every now and then, I'd like to know when there's power to a pump. Wiring should be straightforward, but I don't know how to figure out what kind of resistor to use and could use a little help, please.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    edited June 2019
    You can wire in a 24-V led indicator lamp in parallel with the 24-V control circuit that supplies the relay for the pump. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-AD16-22D-Energy-Saving-Indicator/dp/B01MEEIYAM/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=4966898259&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=24v+led+light&qid=1561834418&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Otherwise, you can connect a 120-V pilot lamp in parallel with the power feed to the pump. Either way, no ballast resistor is required.

Don't mess with 120-V wiring unless you have the experience and knowledge to do it safely.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I've been considering switching the disconnect (toggle) switches on my circulators to pilot lit (NB: not lighted/lit handle) switches for just that purpose. You can also get a manual motor starter with a pilot light, but IIRC that was a lot more expensive.

What I'd really like is a super cheap single-phase HOA motor starter, but that's pie-in-the-sky.

• realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Tacos 00-R (radiant) pump has an indicator light built in.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, This may be misguided thinking, but could you simply wrap some wire around the power supply to the pump and hook up a LED to it? Would the induced power be enough to light up the LED? Hmmm :p
    Yours, Larry
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561

Hello, This may be misguided thinking, but could you simply wrap some wire around the power supply to the pump and hook up a LED to it? Would the induced power be enough to light up the LED? Hmmm :p

Yours, Larry

I was going to suggest a CT switch. This way would be more fun :)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    For your own use? On non ECM style?

I buy these lights from Radio Shack, a few bucks for a pair. a Unibit to drill a hole in the terminal box.

Probably voids any UL listing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    rick in Alaska
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I’ve done that quite a bit with commercial pumps. Not so much with residential because the pump relays or the pumps themselves usually have them.
    Steve Minnich
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    It sure helps when you've got 14 zones and no designation.
    It's nice to walk into a boiler room and see all circs switched and the green light like @hot_rod shows drilled into the 1900 switch cover.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited June 2019
    RIB. Relay in a box has relays with lights built in. OPPS I see it’s has already been posted.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    I used to use a 120v led and mount it directly to the circ electrical box.
    But then I found out that you are modifying an UL approved electrical box that way.
    You could however use this !! :D

Image result for taco switching relay lights
    Dave H
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I'm with Alan, it's nice to have a light right on on the circulator.

I'd rather manufacturers give us an indicator light instead of a lying GPM readout on ECM circs :) Or a temperature read-out even.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited July 2019
    Likely can wrap an insulated wire around only the single hot lead ( 120V ) that powers circulator ( can't also wrap around the neutral or ground wire). Then connect a NEON bulb (no series resistor) between that wire and neutral.

Takes extremely little current to light a 120V neon light, capacitive coupling transfers energy across the gap. Might not be super bright, unless length of parelle wire wrapping is longer.

Not sure what electrical code has to say about this.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Not only for hot water systems, we need lights on the pressure controls, LWCO, and any other safeties on steam systems. They would be so inexpensive to make, and so useful for the homeowner to refer to when diagnosing his system.—NBC
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I use these, but with the capacitor under the cover (non ECM) there is little room.

It is a standard 120v neon indicator, this one is an LED version of the same thing.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194

Not only for hot water systems, we need lights on the pressure controls, LWCO, and any other safeties on steam systems. They would be so inexpensive to make, and so useful for the homeowner to refer to when diagnosing his system.—NBC

Funny I’m not hte only one that thinks this. I was going ot build my own little indicator panel for my boiler at home. But decided thewiring was too much work and had no clean place ot mount it without adding even more wiring. I’m at least going to add a single light for a call for heating, hi stage call, and probably one for 24VAC off the transformer secondary.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Taco has some pumps with light built in.
    007e
    0015e3
    0018e also has a app that works with this pump
    VR1816
    VR2218
    VR3452

Where are you located at?
    Steve Thompson (Taco)
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    mikeg2015 said:

Funny I’m not hte only one that thinks this. I was going ot build my own little indicator panel for my boiler at home. But decided thewiring was too much work and had no clean place ot mount it without adding even more wiring. I’m at least going to add a single light for a call for heating, hi stage call, and probably one for 24VAC off the transformer secondary.

Reminds of when I was a kid and we used to make our own boards for our model train layouts.

steve
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Reminds of when I was a kid and I used to build my own TVs.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    > @bob eck said:
    > Taco has some pumps with light built in.
    > 007e
    > 0015e3
    > 0018e also has a app that works with this pump
    > VR1816
    > VR2218
    > VR3452
    >
    > Where are you located at?

The 1816 led also indicates it's mode and if it's air bound
    Steve Thompson (Taco)