Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thieves

Options
2»

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    FIRC, from reading about the history of fire fighting, Dalmatian dogs were kept on board fire engines to guard the equipment and protect the apparatus.
    Apparently Dalmatians are not as cute and cuddly as we have been led to believe, they in fact can be very protective and aggressive.

This info dates back more than 100 years, so even then there was theft from a working fire truck.

So the contractor with the dog in the truck may not lose anything.
    Many ranch pick up trucks here have one or two dogs in the back, (even though they are usually Aussi herding dogs) you would not borrow any of that person's tools out of the truck without them being there.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    Aussies are wonderful herding dogs -- but fiercely loyal and protective. Do not mess with them... I've had several.

I've also always enjoyed the bumper or window sticker which says "Insured by Smith & Wesson"...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hmmm, Makes me wonder what could be done to set up one's truck with some low amperage, high voltage electricity. Hmmm >:)
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    But someone's child touches your truck and falls down into a screaming fit. 911-----ER-----then lawyers. Your name and number are all over the truck. Parents are over protective if little Johnny gets hurt at all.
    But a barking dog inside the truck would keep most away. IMO

That is until someone calls the humane society or Peta for the abandonment of a dog.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    I was in Ireland when a contractor told me a story about having a dog in his truck. Some local lads offered to watch his truck while he was in the building. They said they could keep the truck safe from harm. The contractor pounded on the side of the truck, which set the dog barking. He said to the lads, "That's the only protection I need." One of the lads said, "That must be a very smart dog. Does he know how to put out a fire?"
    Retired and loving it.
    STEVEusaPACanucker
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    They went up on some buildings here and stole the AC units out of the enclosure.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    "Long gone...like a turkey through the corn."
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I’ve had very minor theft incidents, but one of my deepest memories is back when I was young and charged dirt low rates. I installed two sump pumps for this typical American household. After I sent the bill (back in the “mailing days”) I realized I only charged for one. I reached out to politely ask for the corrected amount and the reply came back as “no, we feel the original invoice is what we owe you”. Back then the measly cost of the pump kinda hurt
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Danny Scully
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
    edited May 2019
    Options
    So, is there anywhere left in the U.S. where you can leave the door to your house unlocked, keys in your truck's ignition and tool cabinets open?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I live in an undisclosed location.
    We lock our house only if we leave town overnight.
    Also only lock the work truck the same time.
    Two remaining vehicles have the keys "hidden" in the ashtrays.
    This is common for the area.....also there is more than one gun in each house.

My son lives a block away and a county deputy is parked across the street.

Sometimes when locking the work truck, I leave the keys in the ignition, just use the spare set to open doors, I learned to not do this and remove them once in awhile.....

I had a job out of town for several nights, after checking into the hotel, the ignition key would not work, pulling it out I could feel the tumblers falling down.
    So I am sitting in the parking lot, broad daylight, in the third largest city in the state drilling/chiseling out my lock cylinder on the steering column. No one took notice.
    Once the guts are out, then a large screwdriver would operate the switch. On older Ford vans you can always operate the electric switches by just exposing the push rod on the bottom side of the column and operating it with pliers, but the wheel and shift lever needs the key to unlock.
    Thankfully the door locks did get more exercise and worked ok.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    You should be locking your car/home doors/windows no matter where you live...naivety will get you killed.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My brother is a building super in a building that has a brass mail chute that dropped fourteen stories to a mail box in the lobby.

One day, he came across a thief that was dismantling a section with a screw driver. My brother shouted "hey!" Hoping the guy would drop what he had and run but instead the guy apologized and handed him a ten pound piece of brass. My brother was confused until the guy made a stab at him with the screw driver. He missed but my brother didnt. He slammed the ten pound piece of brass against the side of the thief's head. The guy rolled down a flight of stairs, shook his head and ran away.

My brother said, " fortunately, he left his screwdriver so I could put it back together".
    Solid_Fuel_ManJean-David Beyer
  • Leon82
    Options
    Some of the scrapyards are shady and accept it most likely knowing it's stolen. Because they can either shear it up or make it unrecognizable. They can pay crackheads less than a legitimate scrapper and make more money
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Leon82 said:

Some of the scrapyards are shady and accept it most likely knowing it's stolen. Because they can either shear it up or make it unrecognizable. They can pay crackheads less than a legitimate scrapper and make more money

Ever go to a scrapyard owner's house? They live in the high rent district.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Leon82
    Options
    > @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes said:
    > Some of the scrapyards are shady and accept it most likely knowing it's stolen. Because they can either shear it up or make it unrecognizable. They can pay crackheads less than a legitimate scrapper and make more money
    >
    > Ever go to a scrapyard owner's house? They live in the high rent district.

No, but one we used to use got arrested for threatening his girlfriend with a pipe or other object
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options

So, is there anywhere left in the U.S. where you can leave the door to your house unlocked, keys in your truck's ignition and tool cabinets open?

I know some folks that live near the super max prison that houses murderers and international terrorists. They claim that they lock the house and the good car all the time. They have an spare car that they leave fueled with the keys in the ignition. If those boys get out, you want them to drive a long way away...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    HVACNUT
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Yikes!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Keys are always in my van and the doors are unlocked at our house. I loose keys if I take them out!

I do lock the van on some job sites, just got a van with the remote control and power locks! There are also a few undisclosed firearms around.... I'm in rural America in the country no less. I built a storage building a few years back with a roll-up steel door, no way to lock it. I should change that sometime.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I remember a guy who just started working at the company I was with at the time. Less than 2 weeks in he picked up a pallet of R22 (on the companies account) at Abco in Suffolk county Long Island. The owner got a call from the NYPD. Abandoned vehicle in Brooklyn. R22 wasn't worth more than gold back then, but it was a pretty penny. Not sure if they ever nailed him. And that's why we have pee tests and GPS now.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Rural VT allows me to leave keys in my truck. Tools in an unlocked pickup truck cap.
    Back in '06 or '07 when price of copper was at historic highs, I had some 'scrappers' enter in my house cellar door and take all my 'loose' copper (stored scrap, new pipe and fittings, Romex and MC cable). Fortunately, no tools or INSTALLED copper. They were methodical about taking UNTRACEABLE stuff only. Prob. 'fenced' it in NH. Cellar door is now barred and house is locked.
  • Hvac_artisan
    Hvac_artisan Member Posts: 21
    Options
    The building where I work used to have a recycling company operate out of it. So when my boss purchased the building he bought the business as well and kept the recycling center open. Often times we would have crack heads drop off stuff that they ‘found’ or ‘garbage picked’. Occasionally we would receive suspicious material like new rolls of lineset with the insulation peeled off. Of course the boss would hold onto it to use on installs. One day we had a guy come in with a whole bunch of surplus Nibco press fittings. A bunch of odd sized tees 3” x 2 x 2, 3” x 2 x 3 etc, all of them with the O-rings removed to get full #1 scrap price. It was probably over 200lbs of brand new fittings. The guy probably walked away with $600 in his pocket for fittings that were worth 2G. They are still sitting on the shelf in our shop eventually the boss will order new O-rings for them and use or sell them.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I try to steer clear of items that appear to be stolen. The best way to stop a thief is to take away the market place.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Jean-David BeyerTinman
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Options
    Unfortunately I think the druggies will just find someone or someplace else. But at least it makes them work harder for it and get less.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Years ago I ran a Radio Shack in the St. Paul ghetto. Guy comes in buys a stereo & TV with a credit card. Salesman forgets to give him remote control so they call the phone number associated with the card and got a guy who had been pick pocketed. Called the cops and made out a report. 2 days later guy comes back looking for his remote. Salesman goes in back, calls the cops, same ones come. He points to the guy, the guy gets cuffed and hauled out.
    Jean-David BeyerSlamDunkCLamb
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    At Vulture Peak just south of Wickenburg AZ, there is a BLM campground that has a pit toilet, used the toilet one day and noticed that the TP holder (a galvanized pipe with a lock) was pretty much full about 5 or 6 rolls, they press against the wall so will not unroll easily.
    Overnight someone took the time to unroll about 70% of the paper.
    Man what a lot of work for not much return.
    PS we do not lock our doors but do pull the ignition keys out.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options

Homer Alaska!
    Most of my customers just have me come in and do the work when they are not there. I Have a vacation rental that has an electronic lock on it, but only because the guests we get are mostly from outside, and expect it. The only time I take my keys out of my van is when I go to the store during tourist season, because, you just can't take chances then.
    That being said, you did say in the U.S., and a lot of people don't think Alaska is part of the U.S., so my post might be off topic. But, we are working on it ;)
    Rick
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    My mother, may she live and be well, is a short petite and rather physically weak woman. Her physical weakness is more then compensated by her strong mind and character. Many years ago, she was walking in a rough part of town. Suddenly, someone comes up behind her and grabs the strap of her pocketbook and starts running. Without missing a beat, my Mother quickly unbuckled the strap from the pocketbook. The ............. loser kept on running, thinking that he had himself a good day in the field. My mother walked over to the local police precinct to file a report. On the way back, what does she find?? The strap from her pocketbook. She bends down, picks it up, straps it back on and heads on her merry way. No worse for the wear.
    Intplm.CLamb
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    About 40+ years ago my brother rented a car and made a visit to the south across the border.
    He parks the car to walk around the town, a little kid says "Hey mister, I watch your car for 2 dollars". The brother ignored his offer.
    Upon returning to the car hours later he sees that the license plates are gone. He cannot leave the country with an un-plated car and besides it is a rental.
    He reports the theft to the police station and they somehow miraculously had his "recovered" plates at the counter. It took 10 or 20 dollars to clear up this ordeal and get the plates back.

As he returns to the car he realizes he has no screwdriver.
    Just then the same little kid appears with the tool and offers to rent it to him for 5 dollars.
    So lesson learned.....2 bucks is cheap.
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man