Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lennox ductless air conditionner

Hi,
I live in Montréal, Québec, Canada and summertime is getting warmer every year. Costco got a deal on Lennox air conditioner, but there's so many companies out there. I'm looking for a good ductless machine with good warranty and service. My apartment is 60 feet long and 26 feet width (1560 square feet ) How many BTU would i need. Because my apartment is very long, do i need one or two mini-split air conditioner. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Richard

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The installing contractor is more important then the name on the Box.

Ironman
  • Richard_102012
    Richard_102012 Member Posts: 17
    I think the installing contractor is as much important as the name on the box
    Ironman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    You might have trouble finding a competent contractor that will install a system you purchased from Costco. Those two things seem at odds with each other.
  • Richard_102012
    This is how Costco is working
    Here's how it works:
    Call 1-866-496-2032 or click the link above to confirm the availability of this service in your area and schedule your FREE* in-home consultation with a Lennox® dealer near you.
    Lennox® consultants will visit your home to analyze and confirm your heating, ventilation and air conditioning needs.
    An independent certified Lennox® dealer will install your equipment to exacting specifications, taking care to ensure your complete satisfaction**.
    Service and product may not be available in all locations.

Richard
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Nothing wrong with Lennox as far as I know. If it's installed by a Lennox dealer it should be ok but.................nothing is a guarantee.

You will need two units. The dealer should be able to size them correctly. You probably need about 2-2 1/2 tons.
    Richard_102012
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    We install a lot of Lennox, just the normal amount of issues with them. I just went to training on their gen 2 VRF kit, very impressive.

The Lennox dealer who gets scheduled by Costco will size the equipment for you. If you like, you can double check his work by performing a heat-loss calculation of your own. There are a number of online calculators. Slant/Fin (boiler, radiator mfgr) has a phone app that is easy to use and gives reasonable results, but doesn't do heat-gain (cooling) calculations.

Richard_102012
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Lennox doesn’t make minisplit themselves that I
    M aware of. Probably a rebadged Samsung, LG or Fredrich. Nothing wrong with that. We sell Fujitsu. Only issue has been a few leaks at flare connections, an easy fix.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Best of luck with the Costco installer.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Dan FoleyIronman
  • pecmsg
    GW said:

Best of luck with the Costco installer.

Why?

there about the same quality as

Home Cheepo and Blows! B)
    GW
  • Richard_102012
    GW I don't understand what you say.BEST OF LUCK WITH THE COSTCO INSTALLER. Be more explicit.

Richard
  • pecmsg
    Big box stores use the lowest priced installers. Little if any experience, Training, Skills! No incentive to do the job properly, get it in and get out as fast as possible!

You get what you pay for!
  • GW
    ^^^^what pecmsg said.

Obviously I don’t know the Costco-contractor, I’m just speaking in broad terms.

Conventional wisdom says the higher tier contractors don’t work for the big box stores. And if they do, they have a sales force. Sales force often means bigger multi-level management company. And that often means following a strict install schedule. And that often means bypassing small details that often pop up on an install. Just sharing my opinion on the matter
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Richard_102012
    Customer service is the main key for Costco and I don't think they loose their reputation because of a bad installer.

Richard
  • pecmsg
    Good Luck
  • Richard_102012
    GW. Your comment make sense.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    I believe Lennox minis are made by Gree. Personally I'd trust Mitsubishi or Fujitsu a little more.
    Richard_102012
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Good contractors want customer relationships. Someone going to Costco is shopping for price or convenience. Otherwise why not just open a phone book?

I’m not sure what hoops contractors go through for the big box stores. But I know we don’t do home warranty because it’s such a hassle. I suspect it’s the same.
  • GW
    Costco skims money off the top. All big box stores do this.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • pecmsg
    As a lennox dealer if you called and said it was purchased from a big box store and you wanted warranty it would be a long wait if at all!

The serial #'s will tell me where it was purchased from.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    It's just a referral service. Locally, HD shows Rheem equipment. If you are interested, a local dealer takes over. Lowes has Trane. Either way you are in effect buying from someone local even if you pay the big box. And as it was said, you are paying the big box's cut of the deal. Sears used to do that. Years ago friend called Sears for a quote to remove an octopus. The Sears salesman brought the owner of the dealer they have do the work since it wasn't a normal changeout quote.
  • GW
    One could even suggest the “rookie” sales guys get the big box leads. That’s all cool unless you have something other than simple HVAC needs
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com