Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos removal

Options
Bob_G
Bob_G Member Posts: 6
We need to have asbestos removed from our steam piping in order to be repaired/replaced. I am based in NJ, any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,551
    Options
    @Bob_G

Best way is to call an asbestos abatement company. I know that cost $$$

It may or may not be legal in your state to remove it yourself. You need proper PP mask, wet down the stuff and remove it wet. It's a question if you want to take on the liability and the exposure risk for you and your family

also, if the insulation is not damaged there is no need to remove it. It can be cleaned and encapsulated. It's only dangerous when broken friable or loose
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Many years ago we added 6 inches of pink fiberglass insulation under floor boards of unfinished attic. The old and new insulation made a lot of dust that got thru paper particle masks and was picky on our hands. And there was ant poison powder on floor boards.

So we set up 5 large window box fans in windows and made a hurricane thru attic to exhaust all dust outside so we would not breath it. Worked very well.

Also made large long air ducts from large cardboard and duct tape to duct fresh breathing air where we wanted it deep in building where were no windows.

Worked well, But that is likely not legal for asbestos. Think they use special HEPA filter fans. Besides some asbestos might settle out on surfaces. We vacuumed whole attic afterwards with shop vac hanging out attic window , next to exhaust fan hurricane. But neighbors were not close by.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    The state has a list of Licensed and insured contractors only use them!
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,976
    Options
    The steam piping needs to be replaced? If you are having a contractor do it. Ask them if they do the asbestos removal. Or ask who they use.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    All great advice. I'm sure having a certificate that asbestos was removed properly at the end that you'll be able to save and show to eventual prospective purchasers is valuable too.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,350
    Options
    Looking back at the OP''s original comment leads me to wonder... why is the steam piping being repaired or replaced?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rhw1
    rhw1 Member Posts: 32
    Options