Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing / Installing main line air vents on one pipe gas steam system

branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
I found 2 locations for air vents on my steam system basement piping. One has an air vent, the other does not.

What size of air vent's should I buy? I didn't want to pull them off without having replacements in hand.

Also pulling them off - as simple as PB Blaster and plumbing wrench? Or are they likely to be "steam welded" on like other steam fittings?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    What vent -- or vents -- to put on depends on the length and diameter of the steam mains. Can you get us that information?
    As to replacing them -- you should be able to get those off OK. Sometimes just some muscle, sometimes PB Blaster or other confections (someone on the Wall swears by a 50/50 mix of acetone and WD-40) and patience. They'll usually give up. That said, that location is not really ideal for vents, though it can work. What you need to do is protect them from condensate and possible water hammer, and the easiest way to do that is to raise them and offset them using a few nipples and elbows.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    branimal
  • branimal

What vent -- or vents -- to put on depends on the length and diameter of the steam mains. Can you get us that information?

Diameter is 2".

The 90 with the vent on it is 55-60 ft from the boiler.
    The 90 without the vent (just a plug) is 10-15 ft from the boiler.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    You will probably need a lot more venting on the 60 ft main. I would try putting that Gorton #1 on the 15 ft main and then a B&J BigMouth on the long main. Getting the plug out of that one main is likely to be a real chore.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    branimal
  • branimal
    BobC said:

You will probably need a lot more venting on the 60 ft main. I would try putting that Gorton #1 on the 15 ft main and then a B&J BigMouth on the long main. Getting the plug out of that one main is likely to be a real chore.

Bob

Thanks Bob. The B&J big mouth is $84 vs $28 for the Gorton #1 at supplyhouse.com. Worth the extra money?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You would need 5 of your $28 G1's to equal one B&J BM vent.
    Don't need a calculator for this one.
    branimal
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    YES! Will pay for itself in no time.
    branimal
  • Inliner311
    Inliner311 Member Posts: 25
    > @branimal said:
    > You will probably need a lot more venting on the 60 ft main. I would try putting that Gorton #1 on the 15 ft main and then a B&J BigMouth on the long main. Getting the plug out of that one main is likely to be a real chore.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > Thanks Bob. The B&J big mouth is $84 vs $28 for the Gorton #1 at supplyhouse.com. Worth the extra money?

Barnes and Jones says Amazon is the cheapest place to get a big mouth since that where they sell them directly to the customer. You also get free shipping and possibly no tax depending where you live.
    branimal
  • branimal
    B&J big mouth it is. Hopefully that plug on the main will come out with an impact wrench and square bit. If I can even fit it in there. Thx