Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

glycol

inspkerr
inspkerr Member Posts: 23
Hello, We are expecting record low temps in Minnesota this weekend. I have a system with Propylene glycol in it that has been tested to -25 . we are predicted to have temps of -30 -35 these are non-windchill i know i probably could not pump this fluid at these temps but could it rupture piping or equipment or radiators

Comments

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    It won't if it stays hot and circulates.
  • inspkerr
    Thanks Alan, Its not operating and will be subject to said temps
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Cross your fingers. Usually not, but... Can't you turn it on?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    inspkerr said:

Thanks Alan, Its not operating and will be subject to said temps

All thats going to happen is the glycol will get thick. If your not running the unit its not an issue.
    inspkerrethicalpaul
  • inspkerr
    THANKS guys , I can't turn it on,Its at very remote location,I have heard that it would just get slushy when it get below the the tested temp,I'm trying to decide to make the trip to start the system.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Burst temp is lower than flow freeze. If still concerned, blow out all the lines.
    Have you just tested? Or was the test done some time ago, it makes a difference...
    D
    Alan Welch
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    The glycol will not crystallize, so any pressure increase should be felt at the expansion tank, & therefore reduced.
    Having said that, I added glycol to 25% in my system for the last week of so that I ran it, then blew it out when we left so that any liquid left in the system should turn to slush in case I was not able to get every bit of liquid out, esp at the boiler and pump.
    If we leave again next winter I will probably repeat that process.
  • inspkerr
    Thanks for your thoughts, I did just test to -25 last month after running the system, Nat. Weather service says -29 for my area Tuesday . I have cast iron radiators connected to P.E.X. with weil Mclain GV3 I'll be putting in a remote start system through my phone line next year for sure,not going through this again
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    inspkerr said:

Hello, We are expecting record low temps in Minnesota this weekend. I have a system with Propylene glycol in it that has been tested to -25 . we are predicted to have temps of -30 -35 these are non-windchill i know i probably could not pump this fluid at these temps but could it rupture piping or equipment or radiators

You do realize that wind chill is irrelevant in this case, right?
    inspkerrZmanDZoro
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I'm in Wisconsin and we are about to see -29* with a wind chill of -48*. So yes it is about to get real.
    D
    inspkerr
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    If your protected to -25* then there’s no problems.

Wind chill doesn’t count.
    Voyagerinspkerr
  • inspkerr
    Yup, aware of the wind chill versus ambient Thanks for your input!