Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unexpected Pressuretrol Tree Appendage

Options
I found this today:

The valved copper pipe off the tree had me scratching my head. To make matters worse, I could not follow it outside of the boiler room. The adjacent room has had two dropped ceilings installed over the decades, and it runs above the 1st (highest) dropped ceiling. So no access at all.

My inclination is to just shut the valve off. But, I thought I'd throw it up here. See if anyone has any possible explanation. It's a standard 1-pipe system in a church. Nothing special or unusual otherwise.

Thanks.
New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com

Comments

• Double D
    Double D Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Looks like a sprinkler head in front of the tree.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Maybe someone needs to steam milk for cappuccino?—NBC
    Double DCanucker
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Any wires running up that direction? I was thinking remote mounted high limit somewhere more accessible than the boiler room. Now i'd really like to know for sure.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No wires, and the boiler room is very accessible. There is a sprinkler head, -but not on the tree
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    edited May 2018
    Options
    someone needed steam for something and they hit the easy button. Not supposed to take steam off of the control header though.

It's not MU water I hope????
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    maybe it heats the holy water so its not so cold when the priest splashes you with it. :D
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

New England SteamWorks
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm still curious what it could be doing there. It would seem a bit unorthodox to use that extension to fill the boiler from on high ;)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Heater or humidifier for pipe organ?

But the slope on the horizontal pipe is such that water would set on the left end of the pipe.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Options
    Maybe a tap to some other control?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Maybe someone installed a Magnehelic in their office? ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Solid_Fuel_ManMilanD
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    get up there and find out,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Maybe it's a remote pressure/vacuum gauge like the one in the 1910 Louis P. Best mansion in Davenport, Iowa.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Could be a dangerous condition, you better check, even if it means a few holes. Curiosity has nothing to do with it.

At least, that's what I'd tell them. :)

• New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    I closed the valve...
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options

I closed the valve...

Good show. Now let us know who screams about what so we can find out what it did!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ratiodelta T